A dog & canine forum. DogBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » DogBanter forum » Dog forums » Dog health
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Methionine overdose advisory



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 23rd 03, 04:33 PM
JustDogs
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Methionine overdose advisory

Be advised that if you are giving dl-Methionine (Methionine) to your dog or
cat, keep the product in a safe location to avoid any possibility of an
overdose. Also do not routinely over medicate your pet.

Methionine is used to prevent lawn burns by neutralizing the acidity of the
animal's urine.

One source of methionine is Doctors Foster & Smith Lawn Guard Treats. The
package does not clearly state the hazards of an overdose ("Keep out of
reach of children and pets to prevent unwanted consumption"), however
Doctors Foster & Smith does publish an article on the side effects,
contraindications and warnings on their web site.

Before using methionine or if you are currently giving your pets methionine,
please be sure to read this important article:

http://www.peteducation.com/article....articleid=1440

An extract from the Foster & Smith web site:

"Overdose/Toxicity
May see lack of appetite, methemoglobinemia, Heinz body hemolytic
anemia, staggering, and cyanosis (blue-purple gum color). If metabolic
acidosis occurs, may see vomiting, excessive thirst, increased rate and
depth of breathing, abnormal heart rhythms, weakness, and depression, and
death. Doses of only two times the recommendation may cause overdose
especially in cats."


From my own experience:
---------------------------------------------------------------
If your pet overdoses on this medicine, seek *IMMEDIATE* veterinarian
attention. Your dog may show no symptoms for 8 or more hours. Once the
symptoms appear, death can be imminent. If your animal does overdose,
print the PetEducation article above and bring it to your veterinarian.
Methionine overdoses are not common and your vet may not be informed.
---------------------------------------------------------------


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Methionine overdose advisory JustDogs Dog health 6 September 3rd 03 06:28 AM
The Therapy Patent Corporation is providing information about a new patent pending, untested, experimental therapy for treatment of leukemia, cancer, aids, poison, snake bite, drug overdose, aged persons, transfusion of large volumes of blood and all TherapyPatent Dog health 0 August 15th 03 11:02 PM
The Therapy Patent Corporation is providing information about a new patent pending, untested, experimental therapy for treatment of leukemia, cancer, aids, poison, snake bite, drug overdose, aged persons, transfusion of large volumes of blood and all TherapyPatent Dog health 0 August 15th 03 11:02 PM
The Therapy Patent Corporation is providing information about a new patent pending, untested, experimental therapy for treatment of leukemia, cancer, aids, poison, snake bite, drug overdose, aged persons, transfusion of large volumes of blood and all TherapyPatent Dog health 0 August 7th 03 03:08 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.2.0 (Unregistered)
Copyright 2004-2014 DogBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.