Dog rubs face

Old January 7th 05, 02:35 AM
crillee

Default Dog rubs face

Hello all-

My dogs rubs he face quite often and we could never tell whether it was
his face, paw or perhaps teeth bothering him. He also rubs his face on
the furniture. I know he has some allergies but not usually during the
winter. We have recently noticed a few bumps around his eyes, little
ones on what would be the bottom flesh colored rim of the eye.

Anyone have any idea of what this could be?
Thanks for the info!

Crillee

Old January 7th 05, 02:41 AM
Sharon too

My dogs rubs he face quite often and we could never tell whether it was
his face, paw or perhaps teeth bothering him. He also rubs his face on
the furniture. I know he has some allergies but not usually during the
winter. We have recently noticed a few bumps around his eyes, little
ones on what would be the bottom flesh colored rim of the eye.

There a a few possibilities. The first that comes to mind is food allergies,
especially this time of year since in many parts of the country
environmental factors can be eliminated. Going to Hills Z/D food only with
absolutely no other treats or food for 4-8 weeks may show results. If it
clears up after this, then stay on the food.

It can also be a sign of an autoimmune disease.

Possibly an infection or localized reaction to something he has gotten into.

And yes, it could be from pain and discomfort in the mouth, the bumps on the
skin the result of the rubbing.

What has the vet said?

-Sharon

Old January 7th 05, 04:24 AM
Kurtis D. Rader

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 17:35:20 -0800, crillee wrote:

My dogs rubs he face quite often and we could never tell whether it was
his face, paw or perhaps teeth bothering him. He also rubs his face on
the furniture. I know he has some allergies but not usually during the
winter. We have recently noticed a few bumps around his eyes, little
ones on what would be the bottom flesh colored rim of the eye.

Of my four dogs the male german shepherd rubs each side of his face on the
carpet or along the edge of a piece of furniture nearly every day. No
physiological reason for it that I can discern. It appears to simply be
one of his behaviors when all the dogs are vying for my attention. All of
my dogs occasionally rub their faces with their paws. The subsequent
licking of the paws indicates quite clearly that they are simply cleaning
their face.

Your problem description leaves out some important details. For example,
is this a "day one" or recent behavior? Does the dog lick its paw or not.
The former may indicate that it is simply cleaning its face, the latter
that it is trying to ameliorate some irritation. Given the bumps around
the eyes I suspect the latter. If the dog doesn't appear to be in pain and
there isn't an obvious sign of illness (e.g., the bumps are oozing pus) I
would wait a couple of weeks see if the problem clears on its own. If the
bumps (and behavior) is still present at that time a veterinary visit is
called for.
Old January 7th 05, 05:14 AM
crillee

Kurtis, thank you!

I have noticed the face rubbing for months....chalked it up to
allergies but it has increased as of late. The bumps actually appeared
yesterday. I am going to monitor them, hopefully they are just some
sort of cyst or sty.

Thanks-
Crillee

Old January 7th 05, 07:02 AM
culprit

"crillee" wrote in message
ups.com...
Kurtis, thank you!

I have noticed the face rubbing for months....chalked it up to
allergies but it has increased as of late. The bumps actually appeared
yesterday. I am going to monitor them, hopefully they are just some
sort of cyst or sty.

they might be irritation from whatever he's rubbing his face on.

-kelly

Old January 14th 05, 06:27 AM
Robin Barr

In article .com,
"crillee" wrote:

Hello all-

My dogs rubs he face quite often and we could never tell whether it was
his face, paw or perhaps teeth bothering him. He also rubs his face on
the furniture. I know he has some allergies but not usually during the
winter. We have recently noticed a few bumps around his eyes, little
ones on what would be the bottom flesh colored rim of the eye.

Anyone have any idea of what this could be?
Thanks for the info!

Crillee

Yeast, yeast, yeast. Please read Nzymes.com.