Yeast infection in beagle's ears

Old October 3rd 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Yeast infection in beagle's ears

Our beagle is just over 9 years old. We have had him since he was about
a year old. From almost the begining he has had ear yeast problems that
seem to be all but impossible to permanently get rid of. We have taken
him to the vet 3 times and probably should take him every 3 months or so
but who can afford that?

We clean his ears every day or two. He shakes his head constanly
when it's been over a day. All I can say about what's in the ears is
it is black and stinky. We use the medication religiously that the
vet gives us.

What else can we do?

Don

Old October 3rd 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"dmeans43" wrote in message
We have taken
him to the vet 3 times and probably should take him every 3 months or so
but who can afford that?

We clean his ears every day or two. He shakes his head constanly
when it's been over a day. All I can say about what's in the ears is
it is black and stinky. We use the medication religiously that the
vet gives us.

...........did he look at an ear goo smear under the microscope? How
positive is he it's really yeast? Sometimes it's a combo of things. Might
even have mites in there. If you cannot get the ear clean with outside
cleaners it may be time to anesthetize your dog and have them deep clean the
ears and take a good look at the internal structure of the ear. What are
you using for meds?

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old October 3rd 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

..........did he look at an ear goo smear under the microscope? How
positive is he it's really yeast? Sometimes it's a combo of things.
Might
even have mites in there. If you cannot get the ear clean with outside
cleaners it may be time to anesthetize your dog and have them deep clean
the
ears and take a good look at the internal structure of the ear. What are
you using for meds?

And also consider food allergies.

Old October 3rd 07, 03:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"dmeans43" wrote in message

Our beagle is just over 9 years old. We have had him since he was about
a year old. From almost the begining he has had ear yeast problems that
seem to be all but impossible to permanently get rid of. We have taken
him to the vet 3 times and probably should take him every 3 months or so
but who can afford that?

We clean his ears every day or two. He shakes his head constanly
when it's been over a day. All I can say about what's in the ears is
it is black and stinky. We use the medication religiously that the
vet gives us.

What else can we do?

What med did your vet give you for his ears?

You might try rinsing his ears with povidine iodine mixed in water to the
color of strong tea. Use a baby nose bulb to squirt the stuff in there,
close the dog's ear and rub, then let him shake briefly, do the other ear.
Povidine iodine has some activity against yeast.

I would definitely take the dog back to the vet, or to a different vet if
the first one can't find the answer.

flick 100785

Old October 3rd 07, 04:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 00:19:23 +0000, dmeans43 wrote:

Our beagle is just over 9 years old. We have had him since he was about
a year old. From almost the begining he has had ear yeast problems that
seem to be all but impossible to permanently get rid of. We have taken
him to the vet 3 times and probably should take him every 3 months or so
but who can afford that?

We clean his ears every day or two. He shakes his head constanly
when it's been over a day. All I can say about what's in the ears is
it is black and stinky. We use the medication religiously that the
vet gives us.

What else can we do?

Re-evaluate the entire treatment regimen. Something is "bad wrong".

"black and stinky" sounds like more than just yeast. Perhaps
yeast and bacterial infection.

It takes an "expert touch" to properly clean/medicate a dog's ears.
Most owners aren't particularly good at it.

If your vet is good with dog ears, I'd take the dog to him/her and
explain that the old regimen wasn't working. If it's just yeast
and/or bacteria, ask for detailed instructions on the 2-step process
(cleaning, then medicating), and watch like a hawk while the vet
does the initial job. The follow-up (maybe just cleaning) will be
your responsibility if you need to avoid expense of frequent vet
visits.

It requires vigilance and skill.

Good Luck,
Peetie
Old October 5th 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"dmeans43" wrote in message
[...]

Kramer (the beagle) has been anesthetize every time as far as I know
before cleaning.
The ear flush is called OtiCalm and the medication is EnteDerm Ointment.
We are resigned to this routine of cleaning every or every other day.
This would only work for retired people like us. I can't imagine having
to do this during the working years.

Thanks for the reply.

dmeans43

Old October 7th 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"dmeans43" wrote in message

Our beagle is just over 9 years old. We have had him since he was about
a year old. From almost the begining he has had ear yeast problems that
seem to be all but impossible to permanently get rid of. We have taken
him to the vet 3 times and probably should take him every 3 months or so
but who can afford that?

We clean his ears every day or two. He shakes his head constanly
when it's been over a day. All I can say about what's in the ears is
it is black and stinky. We use the medication religiously that the
vet gives us.

What else can we do?

Don

My dog had an an ear infection a few years ago, and the vet gave me OtiCalm
to flush out and clean the ear and also antibiotic ear drops to clear up the
infection and they worked.