dog diarreah please help

Old April 15th 04, 12:24 PM
SJSNorthC

Default dog diarreah please help

i accidentally changed my dog's food about a week ago and she had an upset
stomach when i did so. 3 days after that, i revereted her back to the original
dog food she ate, but she still has an upset stomach. is this normal? when do
you think she will be alright? should she go to the vet? do you think this is
from the food change or something else? she seems healthy other than that and
still likes long walks, to be played etc...

i have a 4 y/o german shep which was adopted from the shelter about 7 mo ago
Old April 15th 04, 11:33 PM

"SJSNorthC" wrote in message
i accidentally changed my dog's food about a week ago and she had an upset
stomach when i did so. 3 days after that, i revereted her back to the

original
dog food she ate, but she still has an upset stomach. is this normal?

when do
you think she will be alright?

some dogs just can't handle food switching without consequences, often
diarrhea (except of course my corgi who can eat anything, anytime and just
say "yum"). i suggest you withhold all food for 24 hours. after that give
her some boiled chicken and rice for a day or two. once she is back to
normal, start slowly mixing her dog food in with the chicken and rice a
little more each day for a few days.

make sure she stays hydrated and is drinking water. diarrhea often results
in dehydration that can lead to all sorts of ugly stuff. if you see no
improvement after a day or so, get her into the vet to have her checked.

Ruth + Gretta, one old weim + Woody, the corgimon and Thelma, the three
legged wonder cat

Old April 16th 04, 04:08 AM
gina_joe

Some dog food isn't good for dogs especially the cheaper brands, if this is
the case it could be the problem, dog food is just like anything else in
life, you get what you pay for. Also if you change to a different food do
it slowly not abruptly, mix 2/3 old 1/3 new. Go up from there decreasing
the old and adding new better quality food. If that doesn't seem to help
within a FEW days, take the dog to the vet, it could have worms or an
infection. My puppy had a very loose stool recently and I took her to the
vet and he determined that she had a protozoa infection. There are many
types of infections and worms dogs can pick up easily from their
surroundings. Don't let it go on indefinitely. Good luck

Old April 21st 04, 11:25 PM

When the ancient war dogs did battle on Thu, 15 Apr 2004 18:33:31
-0400, did speak the following bit of
wisdom:

"SJSNorthC" wrote in message
[...]

What Ruth said... In addition to her advice, you can add some canned
pumpkin to her meals. Pumpkin is a bit of a miracle substance. It is
rich in fiber and seems to help in cases of constipation as well as
diarrhea. Look for your pup's stools to begin firming up after her
first meal with the pumpkin. How much to use? That's up to you. You
really can't give two much. I have large breed dogs and when I need to
spike their dinners, they each get 2-3 good, heaping tablespoons. It's
very bland and most dogs will eat it just fine just scooped right on
top of their normal food.

Make sure you get real, pure pumpkin in the can and not pie filling!

*~ *~ *~
Karen C.
Spammers be damned! I can't be emailed from this account! So there...

"You have no power here!
...Be gone! Before somebody drops a house on you too!"