DogBanter

DogBanter (http://www.dogbanter.com/index.php)
-   Dog health (http://www.dogbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Is Honey bad for dogs? (http://www.dogbanter.com/showthread.php?t=1712)

DigitalCameraBasics November 22nd 03 08:12 PM

Is Honey bad for dogs?

I thought I had a pretty thorough list of things you're not supposed to give
to dogs, but the other day I was reading a bottle of clover honey, and saw
the warning "do not give to children under 1 year of age".

I don't have kids, so maybe a parent here can answer WHY this is, and also
if there are any known issues with giving a small amount to a 6 year old
dog?

thanks

Suja November 22nd 03 08:38 PM

DigitalCameraBasics wrote:

I don't have kids, so maybe a parent here can answer WHY this is,

Don't have any kids either, but know that the reason is botulism. A
more detailed explanation can be found he
http://www.drgreene.com/21_825.html

and also
if there are any known issues with giving a small amount to a 6 year old
dog?

As far as I know, there shouldn't be any problems. After all, there are
PB & Honey dog biscuits out there (probably with very little honey in it).

Suja

Michael A. Ball November 23rd 03 12:53 AM

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 14:38:49 -0500, Suja wrote:

As far as I know, there shouldn't be any problems. After all, there are
PB & Honey dog biscuits out there (probably with very little honey in it).

Certainly not everything made for dogs is also safe for dogs.

Michael
A day without recoil is like a day without sunshine!

Cocker Spaniel Rescue of BC November 23rd 03 08:41 AM

I found this article that will explain honey and dogs. It is safe, but not
with babies as was mentioned above:

http://www.pets4life.com/art13.html

--
Carol J
Cocker Spaniel Rescue of BC

House\O\Dogs November 23rd 03 01:45 PM

A friend of ours is a beekeeper and we have been adding raw honey to our
dogs food for years.

We use very little processed sugar in our house - (haven't bought a bag in
years) , instead we substitute raw honey. It tastes wonderful in coffee!

Lea
Virginia German Shepherd Rescue
www.shepherdrescue.org