DogBanter

DogBanter (http://www.dogbanter.com/index.php)
-   Dog health (http://www.dogbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Lhasa licking and chewing paws (http://www.dogbanter.com/showthread.php?t=46755)

[email protected] January 27th 18 01:59 AM

Lhasa licking and chewing paws

My Lhasa licks and chews front pads only, now they are brownish stained.. I checked for ticks and burrs, but nothing.. after reading some posts I'm going to take her to vet.. I think maybe mites or yeast infection.. she has no other skin problems, never has... never scratches... So wish me luck!!

cshenk February 2nd 18 03:36 AM

wrote:

My Lhasa licks and chews front pads only, now they are brownish
stained.. I checked for ticks and burrs, but nothing.. after reading
some posts I'm going to take her to vet.. I think maybe mites or
yeast infection.. she has no other skin problems, never has... never
scratches... So wish me luck!!

Good luck! If all tests come back clean, she may have developed a food
allergy. That can happen in dogs at any age. Often thought to be
related to feeding the same food for too long without variation.

I don't have solid statistics on it but something near 8% of dogs
develop a food allergy by age 10. I'd wait for tests first (and skip
the allergin tests, they are useless).

One other thought. Its winter. Using much salt or 'special snow
melting salts'? They have special ones better for doggie paws. You
may have something as simple as a salt irritation effect.