DogBanter

DogBanter (http://www.dogbanter.com/index.php)
-   Dog health (http://www.dogbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Ingrown dew claws (http://www.dogbanter.com/showthread.php?t=24927)

Kathleen February 11th 06 10:20 PM

Ingrown dew claws

I dropped my daughter off at a new friend's house this afternoon and
wasn't gone 5 minutes before my cell phone rang. It was my daughter.
She sounded really odd - sort of tense and strangled - and she asked me
if I could please come back *now* with the dremel tool and look at her
friend's dog's feet.
I circled back around, grabbed the dremel from the back of the van and
had a look. The dog was a 21 year-old, three-legged beagle who could
barely walk. His family had assumed that it was just old age, but his
nails were so overgrown they had curled around to the side and under and
were in danger of cutting into his pads. Working with the dremel and
the guillotine clippers, after about 45 minutes I was able to get the
toe nails trimmed back to where they were no longer touching the ground
when he stood.
But the dew claws had grown into a circle and the tips were imbedded in
his flesh. There was no place to start with either the clipper or the
grinder. There is no doubt in my mind that the dog needs to be seen by
a vet, and I told the girl as much, but I suspect that finances are a
major issue. The only way I can imagine to do it would be to use a
cutting wheel head on the dremel to (carefully!) remove a chunk of the
middle of the claw, then back the amputated tip end of the nail out of
the flesh. And I don't know if I'm up to that.
Is there any method or technique I can use to deal with this with any
degree of safety if they can't/won't take him to see the vet? If not, I
will pony up the vet fee myself to get this poor old boy seen to.
It made me feel really good to see the old guy's lameness miraculously
cured when we finally set him down, but the dew claw thing just really
gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Kathleen

MauiJNP February 12th 06 02:24 AM

Ingrown dew claws

The dog was a 21 year-old

21 years old! wow, I hope I get that long with my dogs.

Spot February 12th 06 02:55 AM

Ingrown dew claws

If it's embedded I would be more inclined to have the vet do it. You may be
able to clip it but tugging it free could be darn painful and it may be
grown in so much it requires some surgery.

Celeste

buglady February 12th 06 02:57 AM

Ingrown dew claws

"Kathleen" wrote in message

But the dew claws had grown into a circle and the tips were imbedded in
his flesh. There was no place to start with either the clipper or the
grinder. There is no doubt in my mind that the dog needs to be seen by
a vet, and I told the girl as much, but I suspect that finances are a
major issue. The only way I can imagine to do it would be to use a
cutting wheel head on the dremel to (carefully!) remove a chunk of the
middle of the claw, then back the amputated tip end of the nail out of
the flesh. And I don't know if I'm up to that.

..........what a savior you were to this pup! How did he take to all the
grinding and cutting? If he was OK, I think I'd just bite the bullet and do
it if you can make yourself. Does he react when you touch the nail? Take a
really good look at it and maybe draw a crayon line where you want to cut,
get a couple of people to gently restrain him and give one a go. Maybe put
something between the nail and the paw to keep from going too far. How many
dew claws does he have? OTOH I wonder if a groomer would have a
technique/tool for this situation? Perhaps worth a call.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Kathleen February 12th 06 05:26 AM

Ingrown dew claws

buglady wrote:
"Kathleen" wrote in message

But the dew claws had grown into a circle and the tips were
imbedded in his flesh. There was no place to start with either the
clipper or the grinder. There is no doubt in my mind that the dog
needs to be seen by a vet, and I told the girl as much, but I
suspect that finances are a major issue. The only way I can
imagine to do it would be to use a cutting wheel head on the dremel
to (carefully!) remove a chunk of the middle of the claw, then back
the amputated tip end of the nail out of the flesh. And I don't
know if I'm up to that.

.........what a savior you were to this pup! How did he take to all
the grinding and cutting?

There was a lot of groaning and mumbling but he was amazingly tolerant.
The girl was in tears, though, which got my daughter going. And
since nobody cries alone in my presence, of course I welled up, too. It
was a freakin' awful situation, and by the end of it we were all covered
in tear-streaked beagle dust.

If he was OK, I think I'd just bite the
bullet and do it if you can make yourself. Does he react when you
touch the nail?

No, not really. I suspect I'm more bothered about it than he is. But
oh god, they are big thick nails, and they're in there really deep.

Take a really good look at it and maybe draw a
crayon line where you want to cut, get a couple of people to gently
restrain him and give one a go. Maybe put something between the nail
and the paw to keep from going too far.

That's what I did with some of the curlier toe claws - stuck a piece of
cardboard between the claw and the pad to keep from accidentally
grinding living tissue. I think for doing the dew claws I'd want
something sturdier than a piece torn off of a kleenex box, though. A
piece of plastic. Maybe a section cut from a fast food cup. Getting
the dew claw out will involve cutting towards the leg and I'd want to
make damned good and sure I don't go to far.

How many dew claws does he
have?

Two. Both front, no back.

OTOH I wonder if a groomer would have a technique/tool for
this situation? Perhaps worth a call.

I'm going to call the vet Monday. They use the same vet I do. Maybe
she'll have some thoughts.

Kathleen

Kathleen February 12th 06 05:26 AM

Ingrown dew claws

MauiJNP wrote:
The dog was a 21 year-old

21 years old! wow, I hope I get that long with my dogs.

21 years old at the bare minimum (he was a rescue). And yeah, me, too.

Kathleen

cybercat February 12th 06 08:06 AM

Ingrown dew claws

"John Doe" wrote in message
Cross posting off-topic troll

Asshole.

See also:
AnimalBehaviorForensicSciencesResearchLaboratory HushMail.Com
AtHisMastersFeet MuchoMail.Com
bamdh yahoo.com
IHateToSayItButITOLDYOUSO Inbox.Com
MarshallDermerAlpha1UofWI MUCHOMAIL.COM
PerryStalsis Animail.Net
PrettierInPink MuchoMail.Com
TheAmazingPussyWizard HushMail.Com
TheAmazingPuppyWizard Mail.Com
ThePetAlchemist FastMail.FM
ThePuppyFaerie AniMail.Net
ThePuppyProphet AniMail.Net
http://www.irishdogs.ie
rec.pets.dogs

TheAmazingPuppyWizard Mail.Com wrote:

newssvr14.news.prodigy.com!newssvr12.news.prodigy. com!newsdbm04.news.prodigy
..com!newsdst01.news.prodigy.com!newsmst01b.news.p rodigy.com!prodigy.com!news
con02.news.prodigy.com!prodigy.net!news.glorb.com! postnews.google.com!g43g20
00cwa.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
From: TheAmazingPuppyWizard Mail.Com

rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,alt.an imals.dog,alt.med.veterina
ry,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Subject: Ingrown dew claws
Date: 11 Feb 2006 22:21:55 -0800

newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net

06:22:05 GMT)

SV1; Maxthon; .NET CLR 1.1.4322),gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)

posting-account=69em9g0AAAC91Ugxi_dYYPlmwwN6UwAs

rec.pets.dogs.behavior:669421 alt.animals.dog:54924
alt.med.veterinary:128964 rec.pets.cats.health+behav:423541

HOWEDY bugF'nNuts,

BWEEEEAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!

What the heel kinda simpleton are you???

ANY PET SHOP got a scissors type nail trimmer that'll open up an go
arHOWEND
the nail between the quick an where it's ingrown and in a moment the
job will be
done.

Perhaps you should DHOWEBLE check your anti psychotic medications?

Adios!

The Amazing Puppy Wizad {) ; ~ )

buglady wrote:
news:wysHf.468$Yq1.203 fe05.lga...

buglady February 12th 06 01:39 PM

Ingrown dew claws

..........and thanks for leaving all that trash in YOUR post.

Joe Canuck February 12th 06 02:49 PM

Ingrown dew claws

John Doe wrote:
Cross posting off-topic troll

snip

Some of us understand you are tryna provide a 'service' to the group,
but you also contribute to the signal-to-noise ratio as well.

Just a thought, and yes something I'm guilty of as well.

Suzie-Q February 12th 06 04:39 PM

Ingrown dew claws

In article zAwHf.2030$lG.446@trndny01, "Spot" wrote:

- If it's embedded I would be more inclined to have the vet do it. You may be
- able to clip it but tugging it free could be darn painful and it may be
- grown in so much it requires some surgery.

Or at least some antibiotics.

--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~