DogBanter

DogBanter (http://www.dogbanter.com/index.php)
-   Dog breeds (http://www.dogbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Best dry food for Golden Retriever Adult (http://www.dogbanter.com/showthread.php?t=44818)

wesley August 18th 10 12:10 AM

Best dry food for Golden Retriever Adult

I just got a 2 year old male golden retriever that has no known health
issues except he's a bit underweight. He had been fed Beneful dry
food in the past, but I've heard that's not a very choice of a dog
food. I'd like to keep feeding him dry food with the occasional can
of dog food.

What are some good choices of dog food?

Phyrie[_3_] August 23rd 10 04:04 AM

"wesley" wrote in message
I just got a 2 year old male golden retriever that has no known health
issues except he's a bit underweight. He had been fed Beneful dry
food in the past, but I've heard that's not a very choice of a dog
food. I'd like to keep feeding him dry food with the occasional can
of dog food.

What are some good choices of dog food?

Try dogfoodanalysis.com. They have a fairly comprehensive list of feeds,
rated on a star system (1 to 6, I believe). I think you would find your
Beneful rates a 1, whereas Orijen, the brand I used to feed, rated a 6.
It's a good tool to help you decide on a feed. No matter you decide upon, I
would suggest you feed a grain-free feed, as dogs quite often are allergic
to cereals and grains, and they're not necessary for their health.

Good luck to you.
Phyrie

wesley August 23rd 10 02:45 PM

On Aug 22, 9:04*pm, "Phyrie" wrote:
"wesley" wrote in message

I just got a 2 year old male golden retriever that has no known health
issues except he's a bit underweight. *He had been fed Beneful dry
food in the past, but I've heard that's not a very choice of a dog
food. *I'd like to keep feeding him dry food with the occasional can
of dog food.

What are some good choices of dog food?

Try dogfoodanalysis.com. *They have a fairly comprehensive list of feeds,
rated on a star system (1 to 6, I believe). *I think you would find your
Beneful rates a 1, whereas Orijen, the brand I used to feed, rated a 6.
It's a good tool to help you decide on a feed. *No matter you decide upon, I
would suggest you feed a grain-free feed, as dogs quite often are allergic
to cereals and grains, and they're not necessary for their health.

Good luck to you.
Phyrie

Thanks so much, I will try the web site you mentioned.
Wesley

john woo February 5th 11 12:03 PM

I highly recommend Merrick dry dog food. I feed the Cowboy Cookout to my two 3 and 4 year old Siberian Huskies and the Senior to my 13 year old Huskie. We moved them to Merrick off Canidae after they changed the formula.

Paulo October 11th 11 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john woo (Post 382987)
I highly recommend Merrick dry dog food. I feed the Cowboy Cookout to my two 3 and 4 year old Siberian Huskies and the Senior to my 13 year old Huskie. We moved them to Merrick off Canidae after they changed the formula.

I don’t like orijen for my Golden's. Your right it is too high in protein and it does make a big difference with large breed dogs too. Your Golden is still growing and will be until she is 2 years old. She doesn't need it!

I feed Natures Variety Prarie Lamb & Rice for all my Golden's here. They look wonderful and their coats are just beautiful too. Nice firm stools and tons of energy!
If this is not avaible to you then look for a food with no higher protein levels than 26%.

Another excellent food is California Naturals too. Or Wellness! Not the Wellness Core, again to high in protein.

Cowboys Ma October 11th 11 06:36 PM

I am *really* loving HALO right now. Just made the switch and my boys and I are very happy!!!

IMG_0325 by Las Vaquera, on Flickr

tylerjones553 October 22nd 11 01:13 PM

I generally give my dog raw food to eat Except that I prefer giving him orijin. He get Very excited when Sees it and always Starts jumping.

micle62 October 12th 12 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wesley (Post 380205)
I just got a 2 year old male golden retriever that has no known health
issues except he's a bit underweight. He had been fed Beneful dry
food in the past, but I've heard that's not a very choice of a dog
food. I'd like to keep feeding him dry food with the occasional can
of dog food.

What are some good choices of dog food?

know I have feed my puppy just Orijen, and not other food,
dry food is a mixture of many kinds, and what you got your dog.
because almond are good for dog cancer,

dog diet