DogBanter

DogBanter (http://www.dogbanter.com/index.php)
-   Dog health (http://www.dogbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Metacam WARNING (http://www.dogbanter.com/showthread.php?t=38360)

MJS February 23rd 08 10:18 PM

Metacam WARNING

Several years ago my now 9 year old cocker spaniel was prescribed Metacam
for minor arthritis . Metacam is apparently the drug of choice by vets for
this condition. Bigger profit margin than on aspirin!!!. Several months
ago, she started to be very lethargic and was not eating well. I changed
food from kibble to canned and then to homemade and still she ate very
little and lost about twelve pounds. She was very thirsty as well. A trip to
the vet confirmed my worst fears, kidney failure....... Her prospects are
not good . Getting back to Metacam, my vet said to read the insert in the
package. Guess what? In small print it states that it could kill your dog.
Not in those words, but rather in cruder language. Vetamanese. In short
term theraphy it is a good drug apparently, but in the long haul , no no.
There are no warning not use for extended periods. My problem, not reading
the small print. Dog Owners take caution, METACAM can kill......

Rocky[_2_] February 23rd 08 10:32 PM

Metacam WARNING

"MJS" said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

Metacam is apparently the drug of choice by vets for
this condition. Bigger profit margin than on aspirin!!!.

Metacam gave my older dog a new lease on life. I used it
carefully after thoroughly researching it and questioning my
vet, even though it was to be use palliatively.

Getting back to Metacam, my vet said to read the insert in
the package. Guess what? In small print it states that it
could kill your dog. Not in those words, but rather in
cruder language. Vetamanese.

It's unfortunate that you don't have a better relationship with
your vet.

Dog Owners take caution, METACAM can kill......

Even water can kill when used improperly, anonymous poster.

MJS[_2_] February 23rd 08 11:32 PM

Metacam WARNING

Like so many people, I trusted my vet. Hindsight is always 20/20,
but.............Since researching Metacam, I now know its a drug that should
be carefully researched before use. I agree with you that the use of Metacam
can be of great benefit. My post was to warn dog lovers that Metacam can
kill, even by those who carefully follow the instructions dosage
etc.....Thanks for your comments.

buglady February 23rd 08 11:43 PM

Metacam WARNING

"MJS" wrote in message
.. .
Several years ago my now 9 year old cocker spaniel was prescribed Metacam
for minor arthritis . Metacam is apparently the drug of choice by vets for
this condition. Bigger profit margin than on aspirin!!!. Several months
ago, she started to be very lethargic and was not eating well. I changed
food from kibble to canned and then to homemade and still she ate very
little and lost about twelve pounds. She was very thirsty as well. A trip

the vet confirmed my worst fears, kidney failure....... Her prospects are
not good . Getting back to Metacam, my vet said to read the insert in the
package.

.......I'm so sorry. Too bad your vet didn't run a chem panel on your dog
first, warn you of possible symptoms to watch out for and retest the dog
regularly. That's the regime for any of the NSAIDs. Unfortunately I think
there are still vets who do not follow this protocol. My rule is to
research first before I put the pill in the dog's mouth.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Sharon Too February 24th 08 02:09 AM

Metacam WARNING

Several years ago my now 9 year old cocker spaniel was prescribed Metacam
for minor arthritis . Metacam is apparently the drug of choice by vets for
this condition.

Be careful about speaking for the whole profession. Metacam is NOT the drug
of choice for all vets.

Bigger profit margin than on aspirin!!!.

I'm sorry about your situation, but please don't jump into the
"vets-are-in-it-for-the-money" bandwagon.

As Buglady said, baseline chem panels are standard protocol with NSAIDs as
well as follow-ups. That's what people whould be warned about.

Spot[_2_] February 24th 08 04:25 AM

Metacam WARNING

Any drug can kill even something as simple as an aspirin.

Your vet had an obligation to you but you yourself had an obligation to
educate yourself and ask questions to. I am sorry your dog is sick. It's
unfortunate that "YOU" didn't read the insert and educate yourself before
giving the medication to the dog so you could catch the early signs that
something was wrong.

I've used Rimadyl, Deramaxx & Metcam successfully on two dogs who have
severe arthritis. The first thing I did was research the drug to find out
the side effects and learn what to watch for.

Celeste

.. .

Dale Atkin February 25th 08 08:45 PM

Metacam WARNING

"MJS" wrote in message
.. .
Several years ago my now 9 year old cocker spaniel was prescribed Metacam
for minor arthritis.

Something to consider... Did the drug give him extra life, or take away
life? How minor was minor?

Metacam is apparently the drug of choice by vets for this condition.
Bigger profit margin than on aspirin!!!.

My vet recommends asprin for 'one off' use, and something else (dependent on
specifics of the dog) for longer term.

Several months ago, she started to be very lethargic and was not eating
well.

I confused, did you call your vet several months ago, or did you call them
just recently?

I changed food from kibble to canned and then to homemade and still she
ate very little and lost about twelve pounds.

Did the vet not recommend any blood work during these 'several months'?

She was very thirsty as well. A trip to the vet confirmed my worst fears,
kidney failure....... Her prospects are not good . Getting back to
Metacam, my vet said to read the insert in the package. Guess what? In
small print it states that it could kill your dog. Not in those words, but
rather in cruder language. Vetamanese.

Can be confusing if you're not used to it. As a general rule, I'd suggest
trying to break it down in to its component pieces to read it.

In short term theraphy it is a good drug apparently, but in the long haul
, no no. There are no warning not use for extended periods. My problem, not
reading the small print. Dog Owners take caution, METACAM can kill......

Sometimes you have no choice but to use for long periods, which is why
monitoring is so important.

Dale

MJS[_2_] February 26th 08 07:27 PM

Metacam WARNING

Something to consider... Did the drug give him extra life, or take away
life? How minor was minor?

Did the vet not recommend any blood work during these 'several months'?
Sometimes you have no choice but to use for long periods, which is why
monitoring is so important.

Dale:

My personal opinion is the Metacam did help in the short term, but was
killing her in the long term. My two mistakes were not taking the drug
insert seriously enough, the other was trusting, without question, my
vet......I have used the same vet and clinic for over 25 years and although
on several occasions I had reason to doubt his judgement, I felt his
experience and education were superior to my doubts. He is a graduate and
was a faculty member of what is considered one of the the foremost vet
colleges in Canada.
We brought my dog home yesterday, after 3 days of IV at his clinic and 2
days at a emergency clinic (his clinic is closed on weekends). We had her
eating chicken yesterday, but today, nothing. Were pushing fluids but her
urine is like clean, clear water. She is dying. I blame Metacam, my trust in
the vet and my own ignorance in accepting his advice.... Thank-you....

Dale Atkin February 26th 08 08:18 PM

Metacam WARNING

We brought my dog home yesterday, after 3 days of IV at his clinic and 2
days at a emergency clinic (his clinic is closed on weekends). We had her
eating chicken yesterday, but today, nothing. Were pushing fluids but her
urine is like clean, clear water. She is dying. I blame Metacam, my trust
in the vet and my own ignorance in accepting his advice.... Thank-you....

I'm so sorry about your pup. I hope my comments didn't offend. I wasn't
really trying to place blame anywhere, just sort out for myself the course
of events.

I thnk sometimes vets are hesitant to give out too much information about
possible side effects, for worry of scarring people away from the drugs that
their animals need. This of course means that when something does go wrong,
you aren't prepared for it and may not react with due expediency.

I'm faced with a similar dilema with my 3 1/2 year old lab. He has nasty
looking arthritis in his elbow. I know it hurts him much of the time. When
he's off metacam for an extended period, he starts getting very anti-social
at the park (he gets very defensive when he thinks a dog might jump on him).
With the metacam he's a different dog. He is bouncy, sociable, and loves to
play. I know in the long run I may end up doing damage, but the alternative
is for him to live in pain, which is not something I'm willing to do to him.

I guess what I'm saying, is don't beat yourself (or your vet) up too much
about it. I know at least in my case, even with full knowledge of the
possibilities, I'm willing to go ahead.

Dale

MJS[_2_] February 26th 08 10:02 PM

Metacam WARNING

I guess what I'm saying, is don't beat yourself (or your vet) up too much
about it. I know at least in my case, even with full knowledge of the
possibilities, I'm willing to go ahead.

Dale

I think perhaps I chose the best advice on the Subject line of this post
"WARNING". If I had been aware or made aware of the risks I could have
weighed the possibilities and proceeded from there. Again thanks, no hard
feelings and as a general observation, there are a few crackpots in this
group......