DogBanter

DogBanter (http://www.dogbanter.com/index.php)
-   Dog breeds (http://www.dogbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Cocker/Chihuahua Mix (http://www.dogbanter.com/showthread.php?t=844)

copperino April 2nd 04 03:59 PM

Cocker/Chihuahua Mix

I bought a cocker spaniel/chihuahua mix puppy last year. I've been
looking for info. to see if this mix exists anywhere and haven't found
anything. Has anyone ever heard of this mix?

J1Boss April 2nd 04 05:01 PM

From: (copperino)

I bought a cocker spaniel/chihuahua mix puppy last year. I've been
looking for info. to see if this mix exists anywhere and haven't found
anything. Has anyone ever heard of this mix?

What you're asking is if this is a popular, purposely bred mutt in the same way
gawdawful cockapoos, yorkiepoos, etc are?

People will mix all varieties of breeds of dogs for a buck. You furthered that
irresponsible practice. Let's hope CockerChis aren't an upcoming trend.

Janet Boss
http://bestfriendsdogobedience.com/
http://photos.yahoo.com/bestfriendsobedience

copperino April 3rd 04 07:19 PM

First off, hold back on the rude tone - I was simply asking a
question.

Secondly, we didn't breed the puppy, we are not breeders. We are a
couple who wanted a dog and happened on her in a pet store. She was
very cute but very sick. We nursed her back to health and saved her
life. We don't know that much about dogs, this is our first one. She
has a very unique look so I'm just wondering has anyone else heard or
owned this mix.

And we call her a Cockahuahua.

EGD April 4th 04 05:08 AM

"copperino" wrote in message
om...
First off, hold back on the rude tone - I was simply asking a
question.

Secondly, we didn't breed the puppy, we are not breeders. We are a
couple who wanted a dog and happened on her in a pet store. She was
very cute but very sick. We nursed her back to health and saved her
life. We don't know that much about dogs, this is our first one. She
has a very unique look so I'm just wondering has anyone else heard or
owned this mix.

And we call her a Cockahuahua.

Hopefully you didn't actually "pay" the store anything for a mixed breed dog
when they can be found by the millions in shelters. I applaud you for seeing
her through her problems, but actually buying "any" dog - purebred or mix,
from pet stores only encourages puppy millers and irresponsible breeders to
breed again.
However, what's done is done now.
I would imagine and hope, that none are breeding this mix, especially since
they are so diverse in size.
I would respectfully suggest that you "don't" tell people she's a
Cockahuahua. Designer names such as this, given to mixed breeds, often
encourages others to actually consider breeding them. The vast majority end
up facing the gas chambers of our shelters.
Cutsey names have done little to inform a gullible public and millions have
been taken to the cleaners, thinking them to be "real" breeds.
I suggest if anyone asks you what she is, that you just say she's a mixed
breed and leave it at that.
EGD

J1Boss April 4th 04 08:08 PM

Secondly, we didn't breed the puppy, we are not breeders. We are a
couple who wanted a dog and happened on her in a pet store. She was
very cute but very sick. We nursed her back to health and saved her
life.

Unfortunately, it's a real Catch-22. You saved a puppy, but at the same time
unwittingly doomed her mother to a lifetime of pumping out more puppies for a
buck. It's a vicious cycle. That pet store was able to make money off a sick
puppy, so there's no reason to stop the puppymills from producing them. It's a
pretty sad situation overall, especially when there are millions of lovely
mixed breed puppies in shelters all over the country.

We don't know that much about dogs, this is our first one. She
has a very unique look so I'm just wondering has anyone else heard or
owned this mix.

Can't say I've ever heard of this particular mix, but as I said in my first
post, it's a money maker for the producers and not a good thing.

And we call her a Cockahuahua.

Now that's a mouthful! :-D

copperino April 5th 04 03:29 AM

We hear what you are saying, but we fell in love and that was that.
We didn't know about this breeding issue. We understand the point you
are trying to make, but that wasn't what we were asking.

You must be a democrat :(

Robin April 12th 04 09:11 AM

In article ,
(copperino) wrote:

I bought a cocker spaniel/chihuahua mix puppy last year. I've been
looking for info. to see if this mix exists anywhere and haven't found
anything. Has anyone ever heard of this mix?

I've been looking at all the rescue sites for a new dog and have seen a
few cocker/chihuahua mixes. In fact have seen cocker mixes with several
breeds, including a doxie. I saw one dog today online at one of the
rescue sites that is a lab/doxie mix - long low body and lab face. If
you can, ignore the people who are rude and arrogant on this board, I've
never seen anything like the behavior here on other boards. There ARE
people here who are helpful if you don't mind weeding thru the others.

--
Do not email if posting response. To email, replace x with 4

copperino April 14th 04 09:01 PM

Thanks for the nice words.

If you have any sites with pix of cocker/chihuahua mixes, we wouldn't
mind checking them out. Our puppy has such a unique look, we are just
curious to see what other ones look like.