DogBanter

DogBanter (http://www.dogbanter.com/index.php)
-   Dog behavior (http://www.dogbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Shih tzu peeing in house (http://www.dogbanter.com/showthread.php?t=36661)

annie62 November 20th 07 01:23 AM

Shih tzu peeing in house

Yes, my Shiz Tzu is 8 years old and pees in the house, only at night when I'm sleeping. I can't catch him in the act, so what am I to do, Stay up all night and take him to the bathroom? Also when I'm with him all day he goes to the door, it's only when I'm in bed he gets out of the bedroom and then he lifts his leg and pees on anything he can. So does anyone have ideas? I'm not gonna tie him up at night but I can leave him in the garage, but, he has to stay in the garage all day while I'm at work, I hate to leave him in the there at night too! Any ideas. He is so cute, but he has control over me, not me "over" him.

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply November 20th 07 04:59 AM

Shih tzu peeing in house

annie62 wrote:
Yes, my Shiz Tzu is 8 years old and pees in the house, only at night
when I'm sleeping. I can't catch him in the act, so what am I to do,
Stay up all night and take him to the bathroom? Also when I'm with him

Can you barricade him in an area or crate him at night? My friend who
does Pomeranian rescue has a big barricade in her kitchen that she
covers with papers where her rescue dogs spend the night and crates for
all of her own dogs to sleep in at night. Friends of ours with a larger
dog leave their dog in the (papered) laundry room at night, too.

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.

Rocky[_2_] November 20th 07 07:21 AM

Shih tzu peeing in house

annie62 said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Yes, my Shiz Tzu is 8 years old and pees in the house, only
at night when I'm sleeping.

First things first - a vet check to rule out infections which
may make the dog thinks that he needs to pee.

Other than that, any major changes in your household or has he
always had this behaviour? Is he neutered? Does he have a
name?

I'm not gonna tie him up at night but I can leave him in
the garage, but, he has to stay in the garage all day while
I'm at work, I hate to leave him in the there at night
too!

Why does he have to stay in the garage all day?

Janet Boss November 20th 07 01:09 PM

Shih tzu peeing in house

In article ,
annie62 wrote:

Yes, my Shiz Tzu is 8 years old and pees in the house, only at night
when I'm sleeping. I can't catch him in the act, so what am I to do,
Stay up all night and take him to the bathroom? Also when I'm with him
all day he goes to the door, it's only when I'm in bed he gets out of
the bedroom and then he lifts his leg and pees on anything he can. So
does anyone have ideas? I'm not gonna tie him up at night but I can
leave him in the garage, but, he has to stay in the garage all day
while I'm at work, I hate to leave him in the there at night too! Any
ideas. He is so cute, but he has control over me, not me "over" him.

First, a vet visit. Is he peeing in the garage during the day? Sounds
like he's not actually housebroken. Don't allow him to get out of the
bedroom. I'm assuming he's not neutered? Never too late, although it
may only help marking behavior a little bit. Crate confinement in the
bedroom would be an excellent way to condition him to sleep at night,
instead of wander and urinate. once he's cleared of any medical problems.

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

pfoley November 20th 07 02:14 PM

Shih tzu peeing in house

"annie62" wrote in message

Yes, my Shiz Tzu is 8 years old and pees in the house, only at night
when I'm sleeping. I can't catch him in the act, so what am I to do,
Stay up all night and take him to the bathroom? Also when I'm with him
all day he goes to the door, it's only when I'm in bed he gets out of
the bedroom and then he lifts his leg and pees on anything he can. So
does anyone have ideas? I'm not gonna tie him up at night but I can
leave him in the garage, but, he has to stay in the garage all day
while I'm at work, I hate to leave him in the there at night too! Any
ideas. He is so cute, but he has control over me, not me "over" him.

===========
If the vet finds that he is in good health, then why don't you try putting
him in a crate in your room at night. Then putting him outside immediately
in the morning when you remove him from the crate.

Janet Boss November 20th 07 02:14 PM

Shih tzu peeing in house

In article ,
"pfoley" wrote:

Then putting him outside immediately
in the morning when you remove him from the crate.

Better yet, TAKE him outside.

--
Janet Boss