DogBanter

DogBanter (http://www.dogbanter.com/index.php)
-   Dog health (http://www.dogbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Blood Work for a dog with Seizures.. or Hannah's liver test was high.... (http://www.dogbanter.com/showthread.php?t=42341)

Nessa[_2_] February 8th 09 10:35 PM

Blood Work for a dog with Seizures.. or Hannah's liver test was high....

oh joy,

it starts
Hannah age 7 (next month)
around 66 pounds (needs to lose about 6 pounds)
lab/pit mix
on Phenobarbital twice a day for a long time. (years now)
has been at 75 mg twice a day
had a seizure the end of December
had a seizure the beginning of February

her pheno levels are ok so we are adding the BS stuff. (I can't
remember the name but it's what we've all talked about here) and will
test for those levels in 2 months.

her liver function test shows her elevated to about 300 which is
higher than it should be but not shocking to the vet.

the vet suggested milk thistle for her. 50-250 mg a day is the dose
but the vet said that the dosage amount was up to me.

anyone with anything worthwhile to say have an input?
Nessa
--
trying to be the best human she can,

Tracey K February 9th 09 01:41 PM

On Feb 8, 4:35*pm, Nessa wrote:
[...]

I've heard several people use milk thistle for the liver in dogs and
in humans with success. Has she ever had a thyroid panel done?

FurPaw February 9th 09 02:50 PM

Nessa wrote:

the vet suggested milk thistle for her. 50-250 mg a day is the dose
but the vet said that the dosage amount was up to me.

anyone with anything worthwhile to say have an input?

I have no idea if you will deem this worthwhile, but here it is:

Google is your friend, but beware - you will find a lot of sites
that say "it is said that."

However, unlike many herbal preparations, there are a lot of
studies of silymarin (milk thistle extract). There is evidence
that silymarin is liver-protective in humans, rats and canines.
Search Pubmed for more information:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez,
for example,
http://preview.tinyurl.com/cf2c74

It's a shame that your vet can't be more specific w/r/t dosage,
but as far as I know (and remember I'm just some random stranger
on the internet), there isn't much evidence of silymarin damage
at even fairly high doses.

FurPaw

--
Don't believe everything that you think.

To reply, unleash the dog.

Nessa February 9th 09 04:20 PM

On Feb 9, 8:50*am, FurPaw wrote:
Nessa wrote:
[...]

Furpaw you are always helpful.

AT LEAST my vet gave me the idea!

Rocky[_2_] February 9th 09 06:07 PM

Nessa said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

her pheno levels are ok so we are adding the BS stuff. (I
can't remember the name but it's what we've all talked
about here) and will test for those levels in 2 months.

Potassium Bromide (KBr)? It's worth a try, but at 7 years old
and the seizures not being cluster, looking for a medical cause
might be a consideration.

her liver function test shows her elevated to about 300
which is higher than it should be but not shocking to the
vet.

Liver function tests can be influenced by other factors, like
when the last meal was fed, so Hannah's results may have been
interpreted with this in mind.

Nessa February 9th 09 07:38 PM

On Feb 9, 12:07*pm, Rocky wrote:
Nessa said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

her pheno levels are ok so we are adding the BS stuff. (I
can't remember the name but it's what we've all talked
about here) and will test for those levels in 2 months.

Potassium Bromide (KBr)? *It's worth a try, but at 7 years old
and the seizures not being cluster, looking for a medical cause
might be a consideration.

her liver function test shows her elevated to about 300
which is higher than it should be but not shocking to the
vet.

Liver function tests can be influenced by other factors, like
when the last meal was fed, so Hannah's results may have been
interpreted with this in mind.

--
--Matt. *Rocky's a Dog.

Really???

she was 12 hours out from food and meds when this was done but she was
suffering greatly from explosive diarrhea that day.

she is not having cluster seizures she's having 1 seizure every 3-4
weeks. it's mild but that's how it started when we built up to her
grand mal 72 hour seizure a couple of years ago...

Nessa[_2_] February 9th 09 10:46 PM

Blood Work for a dog with Seizures.. or Hannah's liver test was high....

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 04:41:37 -0800 (PST), Tracey K
wrote:

On Feb 8, 4:35*pm, Nessa wrote:
[...]

no she has not.
my other dog (Bagel) had thyroid issues although I"m betting Harley
does too!

what makes you think she needs a thyroid panel done?
Nessa
--
trying to be the best human she can,

Rocky[_2_] February 10th 09 12:01 AM

http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/Lowthyroid.html

chardonnay9 February 10th 09 02:48 AM

Rocky wrote:
Nessa said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

what makes you think she needs a thyroid panel done?

http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/Lowthyroid.html

Dr Dodds is by far the best one to do the testing as well. She fits your
results to other dogs of the same age, breed, and sex for a much better
idea of what is going on. She has a much larger database of test results
than a local vet could ever have.

You would get a much more accurate picture of problems.