DogBanter

DogBanter (http://www.dogbanter.com/index.php)
-   Dog behavior (http://www.dogbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Hyperactive puppy (http://www.dogbanter.com/showthread.php?t=4523)

_mic__hael July 23rd 03 04:34 AM

Hyperactive puppy

Chris Smith wrote:
Hi,

I've gotten really good advice here, and Ruby's doing well. I am a bit
baffled by something, though. Anyone else seen this?

Sometimes Ruby gets REALLY excited. That can happen when she's in
trouble for destroying something, or when she's playing and is
overstimulated. When it occurs, she takes off running.

This is some kind of running! She'll run around and around in circles
at extremely high speeds. No one and nothing can get her attention.
I've seen her run smack into chairs and even a wall, and just keep going
as if nothing happened. I can call her name until my face turns blue,
and get no response. Once I tried to pick her up to see if I could calm
her with physical contact, but she squirmed and fought until I dropped
her, then kept going. This continues for about five minutes, and then
she's back to her cheerful self.

This is kinda spooky. It's like an alternate personality or something;
she is completely transformed when this happens. I'm not concerned with
the behavior for my sake, as she hasn't really hurt anything else, but I
am concerned about what's upsetting her like that.

Hello Chris,

YOU are upsetting her like that.

This type of activity is great if it's play and you are chasing the dog
and they tear from room to room going wild. That's play.

But it's not okay, not if it is stress-release/rebellion from your
antipuppy behavior and discipline.

Be careful, because it sounds like you are being too aggressive in your
discipline.

Here is a quote from the sharpest mind in the dog game (aka, mine)

(can I have a drum roll please?)

"Most dog bites occur because
of too much aggression. By the Human.

Too aggressive in their assumptions.
Too aggressive in their play.
Too aggressive in their discipline.
Too aggressive in their approach.
Too aggressive in their grooming.
Too hasty, too busy, in too much of a hurry, etc, etc..."

michael patton
ceo of dogtv.com networks

What would you do in such a situation?

when it happens with me, I turn it into a fun training session. But it's
a fun training session, not a "you're in trouble and I have to subdue
you because you're out of control and making me feel like I have no
control over you" freak out situation that you are experiencing.

I encourage Kwame Brown

http://dogtv.com/kwame.rm
http://dogtv.com/kdown.rm

to go nuts, but I can stop him on a dime on a whistle, and then send him
loco around the house again. repeat as necessary.

--
mi.chael
li.ve...

..http://dogtv.com/hope_attacks.mpg
..http://dogtv.com/hope_attacks.mpg
..http://dogtv.com/hope_attacks.mpg
..http://dogtv.com/hope_attacks.mpg
..http://dogtv.com/hope_attacks.mpg

SHELLY IS THE ONLY ONE WHO DOESN'T THINK HATTIE IS STARVING

"when i got harriet she was emaciated, so i asked my vet for advice on
slowly adding weight to her. six months later i took harriet in for her
spring check-up and my vet was surprised that at how thin she still was."
--shelly couv.rette

"raises hand i've been told by three different vets that
harriet (53lbs) is *way* too skinny. we're still
vet-shopping, BTW."

--shelly couv.rette

"if you really can't resist
it when your dog pulls the "i'm starving!" routine G, you can give
him some frozen green beans or a small amount of plain pureed pumpkin.
i would also suggest putting the food out of his sight. i keep my
food--still inside the bags, which are tightly rolled down--inside
trash cans in the closed laundry room. that keeps it fresh and keeps
it out of my dogs' sight."

--shelly couv.rette

"heh. i get the opposite response. people think that poor little
harriet is positively starved to death. i've actually had people stop
me in the pet supply shop and tell me that i need to fatten her up!"

--shelly couv.rette

"i think that may be part of the problem. who wants to go to a
vet who tells you you're hurting your .widdle precious? i
think the other part is that some vets really don't *realize*
that what they consider proper weight is fat. after having
been told by a couple of vets that my dogs are too thin, i've
got a dim view of vets on that topic."

--shelly couv.rette

"my mom is kinda that way, but not *as* bad. she thinks that harriet is
awfully skinny, so feeding her table snax is okay. she tells me that
just a bite won't hurt."

--shelly couv.rette

NOBODY IS STARVING FAT PI.G SHELLY

NOBODY WILL STOP SHELLY ON THE STREET
AND TELL HER SHE IS STARVING HERSELF
shelly's fat face
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette/Wshelly2.jpg

There are a lot of big fat women on these groups who starve their dogs
out of vanity, but shelly is a special case.

shelly is moor.e than a little bit beyond the pale

Shelly has OCD, and maybe she's just a little obsessive about measuring
out extra tiny and discrete portions with a tiny measuring cup, or
counting out pieces of green bean or pumpkin that she gives her dogs
when they give her the "I'm Starving" routine. When grandma tried to
give Hattie a snack, shelly probably went apeshit, because it was in
violation of her Obsessive need to oversee every tiny calorie that goes
into her widdle precious' mouth.

shelly's a special case, a special kind of dog abuser.

Deb July 23rd 03 05:35 AM

Subject: Hyperactive puppy
From: Chris Smith
Date: 7/22/03 5:54 PM Pacific

This is some kind of running! She'll run around and around in circles
at extremely high speeds. No one and nothing can get her attention.
I've seen her run smack into chairs and even a wall, and just keep going

I call this the 'skippery' mode. My own sweet Kevin used to do it all his life,
my 13yr old still does it, but my new-guy Georgie wouldn't lower himself. I
think it is a 'brane-OD', they just can't stop it, and I think it's total joy
and abandon. Wouldn't worry about it.

Deb
Shi the Survivor
Georgie the Kid-Snarker

Deb July 23rd 03 05:36 AM

From: _mic__hael
Date: 7/22/03 8:34 PM Pacific

But it's not okay, not if it is stress-release/rebellion from your
antipuppy behavior and discipline.

Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Here is a quote from the sharpest mind in the dog game (aka, mine)

BWAHAHAHAHA....

Deb
Shi the Survivor
Georgie the Kid-Snarker

Tricia9999 July 23rd 03 07:31 AM

This is some kind of running! She'll run around and around in circles
at extremely high speeds.

I call it the zoomies. Haven't met a dog that doesn't get them. But not to the
extreme you describe. The running into walls could be dangerous for her. It's
usually fun and joy, but if you are reading something else, you should really
watch to see what triggers it and modify the trigger.

Dimpled Chad July 23rd 03 12:55 PM

On 22 Jul 2003, Deb opined:

From: Chris Smith
Date: 7/22/03 5:54 PM Pacific

This is some kind of running! She'll run around and around in circles
at extremely high speeds. No one and nothing can get her attention.
I've seen her run smack into chairs and even a wall, and just keep going

I call this the 'skippery' mode. My own sweet Kevin used to do it all
his life, my 13yr old still does it, but my new-guy Georgie wouldn't
lower himself. I think it is a 'brane-OD', they just can't stop it, and
I think it's total joy and abandon. Wouldn't worry about it.

Brook's erstwhile shih tzu, mookie, used to do this from time to time. They
called it 'crazy eights', and she would literally **fly** around the living
room after a round of play. She'd burst around whomever was on the floor in a
circle, and then around a chair in the back of the room, thus making a
figure-8 pattern. She'd end it after, oh, six or eight loops, with a jump
back into the fold for more playtime.

She would do this even towards the end of her natural life (I'm not sure how
old this was, maybe 12ish), even though she was growing old and more frail.
She loved it.

I don't have extensive experience with this, but from my own limited
experience I agree with deb. It was not a big deal for Mookie. She loved it.
Our Frankie has never done anything like this at all, though.

Chad

--
Looking for a pet? Adopt one! **
http://www.petfinder.com

'I'm as confused as a baby in a topless bar.'

Dimpled Chad July 23rd 03 01:09 PM

I'm having browser problems. Let me try to send this again.
Chad

On 22 Jul 2003, Deb opined:

From: Chris Smith
Date: 7/22/03 5:54 PM Pacific

This is some kind of running! She'll run around and around in circles
at extremely high speeds. No one and nothing can get her attention.
I've seen her run smack into chairs and even a wall, and just keep going

I call this the 'skippery' mode. My own sweet Kevin used to do it all
his life, my 13yr old still does it, but my new-guy Georgie wouldn't
lower himself. I think it is a 'brane-OD', they just can't stop it, and
I think it's total joy and abandon. Wouldn't worry about it.

DW's erstwhile shih tzu, mookie, used to do this from time to time. They

Marcel Beaudoin July 23rd 03 01:31 PM

Chris Smith wrote in news:MPG.19878aad38c8d690989864
@news.altopia.com:

What would you do in such a situation?

Well, I usually get out of the way and add interesting race car/demolition
derby announcer commentary. I also try to move breakable objects (chairs,
vases, etc) away from things that are likely to get run into.

I sympathise with you. Moogli has bounced off the stove (kitchen tile
slippery) before, both while doing his zoomies and when chasing after his
mother when she comes for a visit. His mother does the same thing at her
place, except it is from one room to another, back and forth.

Marcel Beaudoin & Moogli

'To be, or not to be. *BOOM!* Not to be.'

Dimpled Chad July 23rd 03 04:11 PM

On 23 Jul 2003, Alison Smiley Perera opined:

This is known as FRAP: Frenetic Random Activity Period.

Is that a real/technical term for it?
cool.

Thanks, Alison.
Chad

--
Looking for a pet? Adopt one! ** http://www.petfinder.com
Info for a healthy, happy dog? * http://www.dog-play.com

A subsidiary of Halliburton Co. paid a Nigerian tax
official $2.4 million in bribes to get favorable tax
treatment, the company disclosed in a federal
filing. - Associated Press 5/9/03

Alison Smiley Perera July 23rd 03 06:27 PM

On 23 Jul 2003, Dimpled Chad wrote:

On 23 Jul 2003, Alison Smiley Perera opined:

This is known as FRAP: Frenetic Random Activity Period.

Is that a real/technical term for it?
cool.

Thanks, Alison.
Chad

Cool term, eh? Heard Internet folks talk about their dogs "frapping" and
didn't have a clue till I found the definition for that acronym in, I
think, Kilcommons. Some training book. My 7 year old GSD still fraps or
does zoomies from time to time, and I love it.
-Alison in OH

Dimpled Chad July 23rd 03 06:29 PM

On 23 Jul 2003, Alison Smiley Perera opined:

Cool term, eh?

It is very cool. I liked DW's 'crazy eights,' too....

Chad