DogBanter

DogBanter (http://www.dogbanter.com/index.php)
-   Dog behavior (http://www.dogbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Home Visit Checklist? (http://www.dogbanter.com/showthread.php?t=5981)

Child September 24th 03 02:27 AM

Home Visit Checklist?

Doing my first home visit for rescue. Does anyone have a checklist for me
to use?

thanks in advance!!

Tara O. September 24th 03 02:33 AM

"Child" wrote in message
Doing my first home visit for rescue. Does anyone have a checklist for me
to use?

I could email you mine if you give me a valid email address..or email me at
am

--
Tara

Kind2dogs September 24th 03 02:40 AM

Subject: Home Visit Checklist?
From: "Child"
Date: Tue, Sep 23, 2003 9:27 PM
Doing my first home visit for rescue. Does anyone have a checklist for
me
to use?

Check outside for upkeep of property.
Trash?
Broken Windows?
Fence?
How Secure?
Area for dog?
Secure
How large?
Other dogs in area?
Problem dogs?

Inside
Where the dog will live?
How secure for the dog to not escape?
Who else (dog people other animals)is in the home that you did not evaluate?
Is this a rental?
Did you do a landlord check?

Myself while I could care less if the house is an ocean side mansion or a
studio apartment,if the furniture is tattered or museum quality,I am looking to
see it the dog is going to have a secure loving home.

Good Luck

Paulette~

thanks in advance!!

The only thing about resisting temptation is you might not get another chance

Paulette~

Kaabooo September 24th 03 04:02 AM

I usually don't worry too much about trash or messes... unless of course the
yard is full of glass or tin cans or something!
A home&Garden magazine n=model home usually scares me... how can people with
homes like that have a shedding, chewing, peeing dog?
Not that neat and clean people can't take care of a dog... I just don't pay
that much attention to those things.

What I worry more about is how the other pets in the house are doing. Are
they socialized , the right weight, do they look happy? And I include all
pets on my checklist - including aquariums and reptiles!
If there are other dogs I usually discretely have a look at its nails.
Naturally worn nails are great - that means the dog gets plenty of exercise,
walks and outdoor quality time with its owner. Clipped short nails is second
best - means the owner is cautious about the dogs' grooming needs. If the
nails are looong I get sceptical.

I also ask to see the sleeping- and feeding areas. Then I check fences and
gates.

I usually try to have a conversation rather than "inspecting". There is a
lot you can learn from just talking about people.
What happened to their other pets? Will they attend training classes?
I usually go by gut feeling rather than chacklists... but that's just me.

Kate