DogBanter

DogBanter (http://www.dogbanter.com/index.php)
-   Dog health (http://www.dogbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   canine constipation (http://www.dogbanter.com/showthread.php?t=40980)

Kathleen September 2nd 08 03:02 AM

canine constipation

SteveB wrote:

My corgi gets constipated. I am going to take him to the vet, but am
wondering what I can do to help him along. I feed him a mix of Pedigree dry
food with a little "dog" food (also Pedigree) in a mix twice a day. Most
days, I just give them dry food in the morning. Always has plenty of water.

Suggestions appreciated.

Canned pumpkin, the solid pack pureed kind, not the premixed pumpkin pie
filling. My three dogs (2 BCs & a jrt) split a 15 oz can mixed with
their supper kibble, roughly in proportion to their weights. They like
the taste of it and it helps them feel full in addition to encouraging a
hearty early morning dump.

You don't mention whether your corgi is a Pembroke or a Cardigan. I've
noticed that some dogs with extremely docked tails have difficulty
defecating, so much so that I've begun to wonder if the docking might
cause damage to the muscles and/or nerves supplying the anus and rectum
leading to difficulty in eliminating.

Rocky[_2_] September 2nd 08 03:25 AM

canine constipation

Kathleen said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

Canned pumpkin, the solid pack pureed kind, not the
premixed pumpkin pie filling. My three dogs (2 BCs & a
jrt) split a 15 oz can mixed with their supper kibble,
roughly in proportion to their weights. They like the
taste of it and it helps them feel full in addition to
encouraging a hearty early morning dump.

Agreed on all counts, though I find pumpkin as an only-when-
they-need-it accompaniment works best here, as does using only a
couple of heaping tablespoons of the stuff per meal.

SteveB September 2nd 08 06:44 AM

canine constipation

"Kathleen" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:

[...]

He's a Pembroke. I cannot see his anus. I had another male, and on that
one, when he got the urge, it would blink like a big eye. Funny thing. You
knew he had about ten seconds to go.

I need to take this one to the vet and make sure all is okay, but will start
here. No need paying a hundred bucks to find out if I just need a dollar
can of pumpkin.

I did read of the pumpkin on Google, as well as Metamucil, and milk of
magnesia. A food product sounds safe enough to start with.

Steve

canine-art-with-heart[_2_] September 2nd 08 10:00 AM

canine constipation

I need to take this one to the vet and make sure all is okay, but will start
here.

Regular boiled and mashed fresh pumpkin works as well (we don't get
the canned stuff here). It also works for mild diarrhea, but if there
is any chance that your dog has eaten anything that could be causing a
blockage, and if the pumpkin dosn't work, get him to the vet.

Dry kibble alone can cause all sorts of problems for dogs.

Michelle
http://PetArtist.com.au

Janet Boss September 2nd 08 12:45 PM

canine constipation

In article ,
"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote:

My corgi gets constipated. I am going to take him to the vet, but am
wondering what I can do to help him along. I feed him a mix of Pedigree dry
food with a little "dog" food (also Pedigree) in a mix twice a day. Most
days, I just give them dry food in the morning. Always has plenty of water.

Suggestions appreciated.

Steve

When the digestive system is not working as it should, I first look at
the food source. Pedigree is a pretty low quality food. I'd start by
switching to something decent without a zillion artificial dyes and
sugars and salt.

Canned pumpkin added to the food can provide needed extra fiber, but I
also wonder about the dog's activity level. A dog out and exercising is
generally more regular than a couch potato.

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

S.Smith September 2nd 08 07:40 PM

canine constipation

"Janet Boss" wrote in message
[...]

I have been told that most commerical dog food contains a lot of corn as a
filler. Before I knew this, I used to feed my dog Pedigree. The dog I now
have (9mos. old Mini. Schnauzer) has been fed only Nutro and he is doing
great. His snacks are also Nutro. Their food is made of whole grains; no
wheat or wheat gluten; no corn or corn gluten.
Shirley Smith

SteveB September 3rd 08 07:04 AM

canine constipation

update ......

fed him some this morning, and he didn't eat a lot. Gave him two teaspoons
with evening meal, and he ate most of it.

Ten minutes later, he was out in the yard making nice Tootsie Rolls and
having no problem.

Ten minutes later, he was getting a warm bath. He likes those, and needed a
bath!

Steve