DogBanter

DogBanter (http://www.dogbanter.com/index.php)
-   Dog behavior (http://www.dogbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   herding clinic this weekend (http://www.dogbanter.com/showthread.php?t=9861)

Gwen Watson January 16th 04 09:41 PM

herding clinic this weekend

I need an opinion.
There is a herding clinic this weekend with a person I just
found as a trainer. I don't know much about her. If it were
you would you go as just an observer for $25.00 and see
what you think and wait until another time?

Is Reznor to young to check it all out? He may have no
instincts as well. Though he sure was interested in the
horses on the trails. That doesn't mean he has the
ability to herd.

Should I take him? It is significantly more, ie $67.50
for one day. It isn't like a herding seminar with
real well known herder like a Jack Knox clinic
or anything.

I need feedback, please!

BTW, I leave in about 50 minutes.

Gwen

Mary Healey January 16th 04 10:07 PM

Gwen Watson wrote:
...If it were
you would you go as just an observer for $25.00 and see
what you think and wait until another time?

I'd pay my money and go. Never too soon to start observing and learning.

Should I take him?

No. I think you'll be able to take in and process more if you aren't
keeping track of the pupster. Besides, if he does have good instincts,
no matter how much you learn to "get ahead" of him, he'll catch up.

--
Mary H. and the Ames National Zoo: Regis, Sam-I-Am, Noah (1992-2001),
Ranger, Duke,

Rene January 16th 04 10:17 PM

"Gwen Watson" wrote in message
I need an opinion.
There is a herding clinic this weekend with a person I just
found as a trainer. I don't know much about her. If it were
you would you go as just an observer for $25.00 and see
what you think and wait until another time?

Is Reznor to young to check it all out? He may have no
instincts as well. Though he sure was interested in the
horses on the trails. That doesn't mean he has the
ability to herd.

Should I take him? It is significantly more, ie $67.50
for one day. It isn't like a herding seminar with
real well known herder like a Jack Knox clinic
or anything.

I need feedback, please!

BTW, I leave in about 50 minutes.

Gwen

I have only had 1 days experience with this, but thought I would post
anyway. I took my dog to a Rhodesian Ridgeback "herding instinct" fun day.
No training, just instinct. It was $18 for each time in the ring with 3
sheep and the shepherd. The dog owner would be in there also to provide
encouragement. The owners would test pups as young as 6 weeks! They used
geese for the young'uns. This was a very unstructured day of herding
instinct trials and the dogs loved it! Ridgebacks can make a lot of noise
when waiting their turn! They were not at all like the well behaved
Australian sheep dogs I saw later:-)

Maybe you could try herding instinct first before spending the money on a
clinic.

René

Gwen Watson January 16th 04 10:33 PM

Mary Healey wrote:

Gwen Watson wrote:
...If it were
you would you go as just an observer for $25.00 and see
what you think and wait until another time?

I'd pay my money and go. Never too soon to start observing and learning.

Should I take him?

No. I think you'll be able to take in and process more if you aren't
keeping track of the pupster. Besides, if he does have good instincts,
no matter how much you learn to "get ahead" of him, he'll catch up.

--
Mary H. and the Ames National Zoo: Regis, Sam-I-Am, Noah (1992-2001),
Ranger, Duke,
felines, and finches

Thanks Mary. The instructor did think Reznor should go. I am torn
on this. I appreciate your experienced opinion.

It has been raining cats and dogs all day long and flash flood and most
of the rain has gone right were this clinic is going to be held.

I am inclined to see this as a mud bath rather than a learning experience.

I do think I will not take my very clean puppy to this particular clinic.
I may take myself, depending on MIL and if she stays over tonight.
Unexpected thing.

Gwen