DogBanter

DogBanter (http://www.dogbanter.com/index.php)
-   Dog health (http://www.dogbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Broken Knee (http://www.dogbanter.com/showthread.php?t=3537)

aussies rule August 26th 04 12:04 AM

Broken Knee

Hi everyone,

Something bad happened to my dog. The area right under her knee is broken
:-(

The vet says that it is fixable but the surgery cost is anywhere between
1800 - 2400, or I could choose to amputate that leg of hers for $950 (which
I am not willing to). What type of surgery is this and they mentioned that
there are several types of surgery for this and I wasn't sure what they
talked about. They referred me to several other hospitals but has anyone
here happened to have experience this?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

-Worried one-

Frank Morris August 26th 04 04:42 AM

Howdy Worried One,
My male Saluki broke his front leg just above the wrist. My vet did
the Kershner(sp?=BF) procedure. 2 pins below the break in the bone and 2
above the break in the bone and all 4 pins attached to a metal plate
that is about an inch away from the bone. Surgery cost about $950 USD.
But with about 6 months of visits it ended up about $2500. My Guy is a
competitive runner and is completely healed and is running like nothing
happened. I just hope he can get through the running season healthy.
Hope everything turns out ok for you.

Frank X. Morris
http://community.webtv.net/Sulkhalil/SalukiCornerChime