DogBanter

DogBanter (http://www.dogbanter.com/index.php)
-   Dog health (http://www.dogbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   does cayenne pepper upset a dog's stomach? (http://www.dogbanter.com/showthread.php?t=28582)

Lynne October 4th 06 07:29 PM

does cayenne pepper upset a dog's stomach?

my dog ate cayenne pepper yesterday, a huge tounge full. I put some
down for ants (which by the way, doesn't appear to be repelling them)
and figured the smell would turn her off. She tasted before smelling
and was definitely not happy with it. Since then she hasn't eaten. I
have an appointment for her for the vet and am waiting to hear back
from him as to whether it could have upset her stomach for so long, but
I am just wondering if anyone in this group has experience with this.

She is also mopey today, but did play up a storm last night.

shelly October 4th 06 07:35 PM

Lynne wrote:

I am just wondering if anyone in this group has experience with this.

She's not a dog, and it wasn't cayenne, but Pandora-cat ate an
entire habanero pepper plant down to the ground, chilies and all.
She really, really, *really* likes hot chilies.

She is also mopey today, but did play up a storm last night.

She may simply be tuckered out. Hopefully, your vet will be able to
give you some peace of mind.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)

Lynne October 4th 06 11:40 PM

shelly wrote:
Lynne wrote:

I am just wondering if anyone in this group has experience with this.

She's not a dog, and it wasn't cayenne, but Pandora-cat ate an
entire habanero pepper plant down to the ground, chilies and all.
She really, really, *really* likes hot chilies.

She is also mopey today, but did play up a storm last night.

She may simply be tuckered out. Hopefully, your vet will be able to
give you some peace of mind.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)

Vet called back and said to give her pepto, that cayenne probably made
her stomach upset. He said he doesn't think I need to bring her in. I
guess I feel okay with this (unless she doesn't start eating normally),
as she is playful again tonight and had a few nibbles of her food. I
also took her temp and she doesn't have a fever.

Thanks for your post, Shelly. You cat is weird. (I love weird cats!)

shelly October 5th 06 12:20 PM

Lynne wrote:

Vet called back and said to give her pepto, that cayenne probably made
her stomach upset. He said he doesn't think I need to bring her in. I
guess I feel okay with this (unless she doesn't start eating normally),
as she is playful again tonight and had a few nibbles of her food. I
also took her temp and she doesn't have a fever.

I think it's probably a safe assumption that she just had a bit of a
wonky tummy. One word of advice--if you're giving something like
Pepto, it may be easier with the pill form than the liquid. Unless
your dog likes the liquid, it can be hard to get it down them. And,
if the dog has much white fur, it can get stained a lovely shade of
pink.

Glad to hear she's feeling better!

Thanks for your post, Shelly. You cat is weird. (I love weird cats!)

Weird is Pandora's middle name. She was raised and socialized by
punk rock boys, so she's a little, um, different.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)