DogBanter

DogBanter (http://www.dogbanter.com/index.php)
-   Dog health (http://www.dogbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   How to treat dog's receding gums and loose teeth? (http://www.dogbanter.com/showthread.php?t=3824)

[email protected] December 20th 04 10:47 AM

How to treat dog's receding gums and loose teeth?

My 7 yr old female greyhound has receding gums on her very front teeth
both top and bottom. They don't have any tartar on them. The gums just
keep receding more and more. This is just involving the 2 very front top
teeth and the 4 front bottom teeth. The bottom teeth are starting to get
loose. I have been brushing her teeth every day but they are still
receding. The vets I have seen have either said there is nothing that
can be done or that she will need to have those teeth eventually
splinted with bone graft. Is there any other treatment I should be
using?

buglady December 20th 04 01:44 PM

wrote in message
My 7 yr old female greyhound has receding gums on her very front teeth
both top and bottom. They don't have any tartar on them. The gums just
keep receding more and more. This is just involving the 2 very front top
teeth and the 4 front bottom teeth

........are you talking about the teeny tiny teeth in the center?

buglady
take out the dog before replying

[email protected] December 21st 04 11:58 AM

I am talking about the small teeth between the canine (fangs) teeth. The
very front top 2 teeth and the bottem front 3 teeth.

buglady December 21st 04 11:27 PM

wrote in message
I am talking about the small teeth between the canine (fangs) teeth. The
very front top 2 teeth and the bottem front 3 teeth.

...........these teeth don't do too much unless your dog eats raw meaty
bones - then they come in handy. I don't know how common it is for them to
get worn down and fall out, but I bet it's not unheard of. I don't think
I'd worry about getting dental work done on them to save them. I guess more
important is why they're falling out to begin with. There are doggy
dentists out there who might give you a better idea of what's going on.
Maybe you're brushing too hard. I had a dentist tell me once that I was
brutalizing my gums!

[email protected] December 22nd 04 12:29 PM

The teeth are not getting wore down, it is just the gums that are
getting higher and higher. I have wondered if I could be causing further
damage by brushing them. I use a sonicare toothbrush on her. I don't
even know if those teeth should be brushed. I started brushing them when
I noticed food getting stuck between these teeth which may be the cause
of all of this. I do feed a barf diet and I find meat and gristle and
groud up veggies in there. The rest of her teeth are brilliant white and
great.

buglady December 22nd 04 02:44 PM

wrote in message
The teeth are not getting wore down, it is just the gums that are
getting higher and higher. I have wondered if I could be causing further
damage by brushing them. I use a sonicare toothbrush on her. I don't
even know if those teeth should be brushed. I started brushing them when
I noticed food getting stuck between these teeth which may be the cause
of all of this. I do feed a barf diet and I find meat and gristle and
groud up veggies in there. The rest of her teeth are brilliant white and
great.

.......weird. The gumline isn't red? Usually when you get hyperplasia it's
because the gum is inflammed. Could be your dog has spaces between these
front teeth that makes stuff get stuck in there. I've never noticed any
problem myself with pieces getting stuck. What's a sonicare toothbrush?
You might try not brushing them for a while to see if you're irritating the
tissue.