DogBanter

DogBanter (http://www.dogbanter.com/index.php)
-   Dog health (http://www.dogbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Frequent, unproductive urination squatting (http://www.dogbanter.com/showthread.php?t=1386)

Cal O'Chortus October 18th 03 12:08 AM

Frequent, unproductive urination squatting

I just lost my boy dog to cancer, and now I'm realizing my girl dog is
frequently squatting to pee, but nothing comes out. She is a 10 yr old
husky mix, acting totally normal otherwise. She urinates normally when
first let out, but then makes a ton of other squats, prolonged squats where
nothing or just a few drops come out. She hasn't had any incontinence or
more than normal desire to go outside, its just when she does go outside she
keeps trying to pee over and over and over.

I've made an appt for the vet tomorrow, and I've googled enough on the
subject to see its quite possibly a urinary tract infection or something
like that. But, having just buried her companion yesterday, I'm really
freaked out she'll turn out to have something much worse. Looking back, it
seems this has been going on for a couple weeks, but I've been so concerned
with her buddy I haven't given it much thought.

I guess I'm just looking for reassurrance or anecdotes or warnings from
owners who had similar problems. Again, she's a 10 yr old husky mix in
great shape, no incontinence or other symptoms except excessive unproductive
squatting. Urine otherwise looks normal, and she seems to be drinking and
eating as normal. Thanks for any help.

C. L. October 18th 03 04:28 AM

I can't offer you any canine advice, but I can say that if this were a human
complaining about sitting on the toilet and nothing coming out, I wouldn't
worry about anything besides UTI or bladder infection. Just take a deep
breath and wait to see what the doc says. I'm sure it'll be fine. Best of
luck.

k.net...

Sunni12 October 20th 03 05:52 AM

She urinates normally when
first let out, but then makes a ton of other squats, prolonged squats where
nothing or just a few drops come out. She hasn't had any incontinence or
more than normal desire to go outside, its just when she does go outside she
keeps trying to pee over and over and over.

My dogs do that everytime they see a leaf. They make a drop on every leaf they
see.
I just figured it is a doggie marking thing.

-Sunny