DogBanter

DogBanter (http://www.dogbanter.com/index.php)
-   Dog health (http://www.dogbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   incontinence in young spayed female (http://www.dogbanter.com/showthread.php?t=29282)

Lynne November 5th 06 01:02 AM

incontinence in young spayed female

I posted a while ago about Roxy's potential incontinence. Just as we ruled
out URI or crystals of any kind, the problem went away so we opted not to
do anything further. Well it's back, and I'm wondering if there are any
other medical conditions I should rule out before treating her for
incontinence.

I noticed she was dribbling a bit the other day, and just a few minutes
ago, she was laying on her bed next to me and I noticed a fresh pee puddle.
This is similar to how it was happening before, only I didn't notice the
dribbling. Everytime she leaked before, she was laying down (which is what
led my vet to suspect incontinence). The dribble happens when she is
moving around.

Roxy is just over a year old and was spayed by the Humane Society at a very
young age. She has no other health problems. Is there anything I should
rule out, or should I go ahead and treat her? I haven't discussed specific
drugs with the vet, but will. I just hate to have to give such a young dog
meds for what will be a very long time... On the other hand, pee smells!

Oh, and just to be clear, I don't say a thing to her about the pee when I
notice it. She obviously can't help it, poor little thing. I'm not even
sure she notices it.

--
Lynne

Paula November 5th 06 09:42 AM

incontinence in young spayed female

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 18:02:52 -0600, Lynne
wrote:

I noticed she was dribbling a bit the other day, and just a few minutes
ago, she was laying on her bed next to me and I noticed a fresh pee puddle.
This is similar to how it was happening before, only I didn't notice the
dribbling. Everytime she leaked before, she was laying down (which is what
led my vet to suspect incontinence). The dribble happens when she is
moving around.

My spay incontinent dog would leak most often when she was sitting on
a cushioned surface like a dog bed. When she was on a hard surface,
she was less likely to leave a puddle. Sometimes she would dribble,
but that was pretty much when she had had a lot to drink, not on a
regular basis. She could sometimes go without leaking for a while,
but I can't remember if there was anything that explained that. It
could just have been when she wasn't drinking much. She drank tons in
the summer, but not much in the winters. The first medication we used
did not help her at all. The second one did the trick, though.

By the way, in her case, she did know when she was leaking when it was
soaking her bed, though she didn't seem to know when she was dribbling
on the move. It distressed her to have pee in her bedding. She did
not like taking medication, but when it was an excuse to have a little
peanut butter sandwich (with the pill stuck inside), she didn't
complain. It was worth it to have her on medicine instead of peeing.
When she was old, her incontinence was uncontrollable. I washed a lot
of bedding and regulated where she could sit, cleaned a lot of
accidents up and didn't feel it was the end of the world, but I have
to say I would not have wanted to live that way her entire life. I'd
go ahead and try the incontinence meds if the vet feels other physical
causes have been ruled out.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,

Janet B November 5th 06 01:23 PM

incontinence in young spayed female

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 08:42:59 GMT, Paula ,
clicked their heels and said:

I'd
go ahead and try the incontinence meds if the vet feels other physical
causes have been ruled out.

Me too - that's what we did with Rudy and he's been leak free ever
since (except for a brief period when we tried to wean him off the
rug, by cutting to once per day - on day 10, he started leaking
again).

The Proin is not particularly expensive, no trouble, and it keeps the
pee under control. We have hard flooring, so it wasn't the end of the
world, but he would not even wake during it. He also used to FLOOD
his crate when I arrived home, if I didn't come in immediately. The
Proin stopped that.

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

Lynne November 5th 06 02:43 PM

on Sun, 05 Nov 2006 08:42:59 GMT, Paula wrote:

The first medication we used
did not help her at all. The second one did the trick, though.

What meds were those?

--
Lynne

Paula November 5th 06 08:05 PM

incontinence in young spayed female

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 07:43:28 -0600, Lynne
wrote:

on Sun, 05 Nov 2006 08:42:59 GMT, Paula wrote:

The first medication we used
did not help her at all. The second one did the trick, though.

What meds were those?

Don't remember the first one since we just tried it for a while years
ago. The one she was on for years was stilbestrol. I think that was
actually a short name for it. From what I remember, the first one we
tried would have been better in some way or another had it worked,
which is why it was tried first. It just didn't work for Diva for
whatever reason. In any event, I'd go with your vet's recommendation,
but don't give up if the first medication tried doesn't do the trick.
Just ask the vet about other alternatives.

Lynne November 6th 06 06:05 PM

incontinence in young spayed female

on Mon, 06 Nov 2006 13:24:14 GMT, montana wildhack
wrote:

Diethylstilbestrol (DES) is a synthetic form of estrogen. The Duchess
of Doodle was on it for years and we gave it to her once a week. It
prevented leaking.

IIRC, we had to give it to her more frequently to start and then we
backed it off to find the correct dosage from there. She probably could
have gone to a one pill every 9-10 days, but her humans could not live
with that schedule. Friday=pill day was something we could easily
remember.

Did you notice any side effects with the DES? Our vet has also
prescribed DES for Roxy. We discussed this and Proin, and he felt that
since she is so young and will be on it for the rest of her life, this
was the better choice. He didn't elaborate as to why. (He's not very
good with people... I need to find a new vet.)

The DES has to be formulated by a compounding pharmacy. I sure hope this
works for her and doesn't give her any problems. He said she will take
it every day for 5 days, then the dose tapers off to approximately once
every 5 days or so.

I hate drugging my baby, but it beats diapers. And I'm getting a bit
tired of washing my bedding every day. She has a real affinity for my
king size down comforter. I'm so glad I have a front loading washing
machine!

--
Lynne

Lynne November 6th 06 06:14 PM

incontinence in young spayed female

on Mon, 06 Nov 2006 17:05:54 GMT, Lynne
wrote:

For anyone else who may have questions about DES, I found some good
information with a Google search, including this:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...C=31&A=487&S=0

--
Lynne

Paula November 6th 06 07:11 PM

incontinence in young spayed female

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 08:24:14 -0500, montana wildhack

On 2006-11-05 14:05:36 -0500, Paula said:

The one she was on for years was stilbestrol.

Diethylstilbestrol (DES) is a synthetic form of estrogen. The Duchess
of Doodle was on it for years and we gave it to her once a week. It
prevented leaking.

IIRC, we had to give it to her more frequently to start and then we
backed it off to find the correct dosage from there. She probably could
have gone to a one pill every 9-10 days, but her humans could not live
with that schedule. Friday=pill day was something we could easily
remember.

Yep, that's what it was. We also had to start her out with a pill a
day or something like that for a while to get it into her system and
then she went down to a pill a week for a while. She ended up on a
two pills per week schedule eventually.

Paula November 6th 06 07:16 PM

incontinence in young spayed female

wrote:

Diethylstilbestrol (DES) is a synthetic form of estrogen. The Duchess
of Doodle was on it for years and we gave it to her once a week. It
prevented leaking.

IIRC, we had to give it to her more frequently to start and then we
backed it off to find the correct dosage from there. She probably could
have gone to a one pill every 9-10 days, but her humans could not live
with that schedule. Friday=pill day was something we could easily
remember.

Did you notice any side effects with the DES? Our vet has also
prescribed DES for Roxy. We discussed this and Proin, and he felt that
since she is so young and will be on it for the rest of her life, this
was the better choice. He didn't elaborate as to why. (He's not very
good with people... I need to find a new vet.)

I didn't notice any side effects with the DES when Diva was on it. She
seemed to be her usual self just minus the leaking. She was on it for
years. There was a time when she was pretty old that we had to take
her off of it, but that had to do with some other problems she was
having that were more of a worry when combined with the DES. They
were dalmatian kidney related, so I don't think you have to worry
about that.

The DES has to be formulated by a compounding pharmacy. I sure hope this
works for her and doesn't give her any problems. He said she will take
it every day for 5 days, then the dose tapers off to approximately once
every 5 days or so.

I hate drugging my baby, but it beats diapers. And I'm getting a bit
tired of washing my bedding every day. She has a real affinity for my
king size down comforter. I'm so glad I have a front loading washing
machine!

Don't think of it as drugging her. You aren't giving her something
that doesn't belong in her system. If she isn't producing enough
estrogen to keep everything going the way it should in her body, you
need to provide it for her. It will help her as much as it helps you
and your laundry.

Lynne November 6th 06 07:21 PM

on Mon, 06 Nov 2006 18:16:24 GMT, Paula wrote:

Don't think of it as drugging her. You aren't giving her something
that doesn't belong in her system. If she isn't producing enough
estrogen to keep everything going the way it should in her body, you
need to provide it for her. It will help her as much as it helps you
and your laundry.

Excellent points. And I may need similar assistance one day in the not-
too-distant future!

--
Lynne