DogBanter

DogBanter (http://www.dogbanter.com/index.php)
-   Dog health (http://www.dogbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Fireworks and thunderstorms (http://www.dogbanter.com/showthread.php?t=45778)

buglady[_2_] June 21st 12 02:27 PM

Fireworks and thunderstorms

Well, Hell is rapidly approaching for thunder/fireworks phobic dogs.

Speaking for Spot has a good blog post about it:
http://speakingforspot.com/blog/2012...hunder-struck/

I had never heard of Through a Dog's Ears recordings, but I really think
it's worth a try. I've been playing the samples and the dog who is NOT
phobic has been coming in to listen.
http://throughadogsear.com/samples/

Lately I've been using DAP spray and a stretched out Ace bandage as a
faux Thundershirt for thunderstorms which results in laying down in
about 20 seconds, but we've not had any real bad ones yet.

4th of July is a whole different ballgame though. I was honestly
considering gassing up the van and driving for 4-5 hours to get away
from the worst of it.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

tom June 21st 12 03:26 PM

"buglady" wrote in message
Well, Hell is rapidly approaching for thunder/fireworks phobic dogs.

Speaking for Spot has a good blog post about it:
http://speakingforspot.com/blog/2012...hunder-struck/

I had never heard of Through a Dog's Ears recordings, but I really think
it's worth a try. I've been playing the samples and the dog who is NOT
phobic has been coming in to listen.
http://throughadogsear.com/samples/

Lately I've been using DAP spray and a stretched out Ace bandage as a faux
Thundershirt for thunderstorms which results in laying down in about 20
seconds, but we've not had any real bad ones yet.

4th of July is a whole different ballgame though. I was honestly
considering gassing up the van and driving for 4-5 hours to get away from
the worst of it.

We are "blessed" with a Beagle that is fearless of loud noises. 1st dog I've
ever owned like this. A loud noise will startle her, as it will me, but
there's absolutely no fear. Sometimes when startled by a loud boomer she
seems to angrily bark at the noise out of irritation....but not fear.

Jo Wolf June 22nd 12 04:51 AM

Fireworks and thunderstorms

If your approach is working for t-storms, even modest ones, it's likely
to work for fireworks... but will need to be continued from AM to late
PM.... Re-spray the DAP every 3-4 hours. I used to unwrap Schroeder
for a short period when folks seemed to be busy with supper, then
wrapped him up again.

Frankly, the recordings, which are professional quality, seem to work
better than home-recorded ones on less than professional equipment. For
success, the owner needs to be VERY good at reading canine body
language. Playing the sounds needs to start 2-3 months before "storm
season" the first time, then "refreshed" about a month before the season
begins again. It's the least effective method of counter conditioning
for loud sound phobias.... because of human error, and human
inconsistency (skipping days, and more....). It can be totally
ineffective for Some dogs, and you don't know until you try.

The sounds recording set is excellent for conditioning dogs, especially
baby puppies, to them when they may not otherwise be available for some
reason or for some long period of time. The vet writing in the blog
mentions moving from an almost no-thunder region to one with a short
t-storm almost every afternoon during late summer, but present all
year.... Recordings could have prepared dogs for this with perhaps a
quarterly hour or so of thunder and fireworks recordings.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA