DogBanter

DogBanter (http://www.dogbanter.com/index.php)
-   Dog behavior (http://www.dogbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Are oysters healthy for your dog? (http://www.dogbanter.com/showthread.php?t=9087)

Tusker December 19th 03 09:11 PM

Are oysters healthy for your dog?

Hello:
Does anyone know about the nutritional value of smoked oysters for
dogs or cats? My dog ate a 4 oz pack of smoked oysters. How did this
happen you might ask?

I manage a seafood company and Minakin, my dog, tore into a vaccuum
pack of smoked oysters and devoured them while I was away. I was
shocked that the little critter could tear to shreds a foil mylar vac
pack but neverthless she did. I thought for sure she would get sick
but nothing happened in fact she was perfectly healthy and wants more.
So I have to keep her out of the warehouse.

Here is my question, we have 2500 packs of smoked oysters with
sand/grit in them that I can't sell to humans. We are a small company
and this stock which cost me over $12,000 to produce has been in our
warehouse for two years.

We are considering selling the natural smoked oysters (ingredients:(no
vegetable oil) just oysters, salt, a pinch of sugar and wood smoke) as
pet food. Is this a suitable food product for cats or dogs? Has
anyone heard that oysters are good or bad for dog treats/food?

Any knowledgeable feed back is much appreciated.

Thank you.