DogBanter

DogBanter (http://www.dogbanter.com/index.php)
-   Dog health (http://www.dogbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Long-term antibiotic use (http://www.dogbanter.com/showthread.php?t=40675)

Suja July 31st 08 12:12 AM

Long-term antibiotic use

Any ideas if there are any ramifications (systemic) for long-term use of
antibiotics in dogs? I realize that drug resistance can be a big issue, but
I can't think of any other options at this point.

Khan has persistant skin infections, secondary to his Atypical Cushing's,
and he is basically itching and scratching himself badly (even threw up a
hairball yesterday, probably from all the biting). We saw a tremendous
improvement and relief any time he was on antibiotics (tooth extraction,
when he cut his paw pad), and at this stage of the game, I don't see any
point in making him suffer unnecessarily. It seems as if a week long course
of antibiotics buys him about two itch-free weeks, so at our next vet visit,
I am considering asking the vet to put him on a long-term antibiotic
protocol.

Also going to make an appointment with a good holistic vet to see if she can
suggest alternates to this.

Suja

Phyrie July 31st 08 01:52 AM

Long-term antibiotic use

"Suja" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Suja,
Due to some horrendous and life-altering circumstances beyond my control
about ten years ago, I suffered from extreme stress that manifested
physically as disfiguring acne. As well as topical treatments, I was on
tetracycline antibiotics for two years straight. The only side effect I had
was dark urine. Since my recovery I have suffered no ill or lasting effects
from the long term antibiotic use. Whether this can translate to dog care,
I have no idea, but it worked for me. Seems to me that if the side effects
are minimal (in your vet's opinion) almost anything has got to be better
than poor Khan scratching until he's insane or really does some damage to
his skin. Good luck to you and Khan. He's a beaut.
--
Phyrie
Kiba the Cav's Pics:

Kathleen July 31st 08 02:47 AM

Long-term antibiotic use

Suja wrote:
[...]

No experience with prolonged antibiotic use in dogs, but my sister had
rheumatic fever when she was 5 or 6 and, at my RN mother's insistence
and with the pediatrician's blessing, she was given penicillin every day
for something like 10 years, at which point she absolutely refused to
take it any more.

When I was in college I worked at the school of pharmacology and
mentioned it to a couple of the research scientists who were absolutely
aghast at the thought of resistant bacteria she might have been brewing.
Nevertheless, she survived quite well and with no obvious ill effects.
Other than on her relationship with our control-freak mother.

You know what they say, though... "If it's not one damned thing, it's
your mother."

Melinda Shore July 31st 08 03:06 AM

Long-term antibiotic use

In article ,
Suja wrote:
Any ideas if there are any ramifications (systemic) for long-term use of
antibiotics in dogs? I realize that drug resistance can be a big issue, but
I can't think of any other options at this point.

This is by way of anecdote, which may not be what you're
looking for, but we had Greta on Clavamox for about 3
years. She had a persistent UTI that we kept culturing and
trying increasingly aggressive antibiotics, but the
infection would return shortly after we took her off.
She had a mess of health problems aside from that but
keeping her on Clavamox long-term didn't introduce any new
ones that we were aware of. But again, that's one dog and
one story.

Janet Boss July 31st 08 01:37 PM

Long-term antibiotic use

In article ,
Kathleen wrote:

No experience with prolonged antibiotic use in dogs, but my sister had
rheumatic fever when she was 5 or 6 and, at my RN mother's insistence
and with the pediatrician's blessing, she was given penicillin every day
for something like 10 years, at which point she absolutely refused to
take it any more.

My goddaughter had it at 7 and still takes penicillin daily (she
originally opted for once a month SHOTS!) at 19. No control freak
mother, it was the pediatrician's choice.

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

Janet Boss July 31st 08 01:38 PM

Long-term antibiotic use

In article ,
Suja wrote:
Any ideas if there are any ramifications (systemic) for long-term use of
antibiotics in dogs? I realize that drug resistance can be a big issue, but
I can't think of any other options at this point.

I'm not sure what long-term is in this case. Marcie was recently on 72
days of antibiotics for her tail injury. No ill effects.

Suja July 31st 08 03:08 PM

Long-term antibiotic use

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message:

But again, that's one dog and
one story.

If we add up enough dog stories, it will eventually amount to data, right?
Actually, I'm just kinda hoping to hear enough encouraging stories that I
can make a call without much hand-wringing.

Beyond the skin issues (not uncommon in Cush pups), we are seeing a little
bit of recurrence of his leakage issues as well as some hind-end weakness,
so we're due for a work-up anyways. I am really, really hoping that his
Tennessee panel comes back fine and urine specific gravity is in the normal
range as well, because Lysodren (need to check with the endocrinologist on
whether Trilostane is an option) is the next possible step, and I really
don't want to go there unless absolutely necessary. He is not exactly a
sick dog, and I don't really want to have to put him through a protocol that
makes him ill before making him better.

I was also hoping to get a consult in with the holistic vet so that I can
talk to the regular vet about those options as well (figures that just for
this week, they have weird hours and are closed today and open for a short
time only tomorrow).

Suja

[email protected] July 31st 08 04:38 PM

Long-term antibiotic use

On Jul 31, 10:08 am, "Suja" wrote:
[...]

I haven't had a dog on long term antibiotics, but i believe one of the
lists that i'm on, one dog was on antibiotics 7-10 days of every
month. I don't remember what for. Have you ever given Khan
probiotics? they have one that my holistic vet recommended for
dexter.. geneflora that you sprinkle on food. I'm just breaking open
a capsule of my ultraflora.