Nipping & Biting Problem

Old October 17th 03, 12:12 AM
John L. Buchanan

Default Nipping & Biting Problem

We've got a female lab (fixed) that just turned one year old earlier this
month. All-in-all she's been a very loving member of the family that also
includes a one year old male (fixed) we got from a rescue organization about
three months ago. And, the two dogs get along just great. However, the lab
for many months has been nipping at my wife for attention, or when she gets
scolded, which naturally scares my wife. And, I think the dog knows it as
up until the other day she's never done this to me. But, just the other day
when I tried to put her outside she almost took a bite at me. I had
initially called her to get up from her bed and when she didn't make a move
I grabbed her by the collar and that's when she almost bit me.

After this occurred, it's got me very concerned about what to do. Like a
lot of folks, we have various visitors and some have small children. Any
suggestions on how to correct this behavior would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

All the best...JB

Old October 17th 03, 01:04 AM
mic-hae.l

John L. Buchanan wrote:

[...]

Hello JB,

this video will not heelp you with the specific problem you are having,
but it's good to watch it nonetheless, since it is the best puppy no
bite video clip currently available anywhere.

http://dogtv.com/kwame.rm
http://dogtv.com/kwame.rm
http://dogtv.com/kwame.rm
http://dogtv.com/kwame.rm
http://dogtv.com/kwame.rm

What you are experiencing is something which precipitates the Vast
Majority of dog bites. And that is....

Too much aggression. By the human.

Here is a quote from the sharpest mind in the dog game (aka, mine)

(can I have a drum roll please?)

"The VAST MAJORITY of dog bites occur because
of too much aggression. By the Human.

Too aggressive in their assumptions.
Too aggressive in their play.
Too aggressive in their discipline.
Too aggressive in their approach.
Too aggressive in their grooming.
Too pushy, too hasty, too busy, in
too much of a hurry, etc, etc..."

michael patton
ceo of dogtv.com networks

Hello fans, I'm about to say something brilliant, so get out your tape
recorders.

I would tell John L. Buchanan and wife to get into some "Anger
Management" classes to try to control the situations which are causing
them to get angry enough at their dog, to cause them to be aggressive
enough in their approach and discipline, to therefore cause their nice
and loving Lab girl to bite at them,

But I don't believe in "anger management" fans. Contrary to pupular
wisdom, there is nothing wrong with anger. Anger is, in fact, a vital
and necessary human emotion. It is a signal that something is wrong in
your life or your environment and that you must do something about it.

What you must do, fans, is "manage" your environment, not your anger.

One way to manage your dogs, JB, is for you and wife to read the wits
end dog training manual available here

http://doggydoright.com

sorry, gotta go watch Survivor

michael
live...
http://dogtv.com

All the best...JB

Old October 17th 03, 01:22 AM
Tsetse

The hand-wringers will analyze the situation until the cows come home, but
please consider how an Alpha Dog would handle the situation. One growl in
his direction, and he would turn the mscreant every way but loose. Dogs
have developed these responses over millions of years. If you want to worry
and fret over the problem, with a multitude of approaches, that's fine.
It's one form of recreation, but at the someone could get chewed on in the
meantime. If you want to get the job done, and move to other things.....get
a copy of Koehler....

Old October 17th 03, 03:25 AM
mic-hae.l

Tsetse wrote:

The hand-wringers will analyze the situation until the cows come home, but
please consider how an Alpha Dog would handle the situation. One growl in
his direction, and he would turn the mscreant every way but loose. Dogs
have developed these responses over millions of years. If you want to worry
and fret over the problem, with a multitude of approaches, that's fine.
It's one form of recreation, but at the someone could get chewed on in the
meantime. If you want to get the job done, and move to other things.....get
a copy of Koehler....

Thank you for your input tootsie.
Ah, yes, Koehler has a method for the protest biter. And why does the
protest biter bite, fans? Almost invariably, because of too much
aggression. By the human.

And here is koehler training in action. I think pictures and videos are
much better than words when it comes to dog training.

Koehler training the "protest biter"
http://www.oozemagazine.co.uk/images/hang2.jpg
http://www.oozemagazine.co.uk/images/hang.jpg

Koehler training the "down"
http://www.oozemagazine.co.uk/images/chainbreak2.jpg
http://www.oozemagazine.co.uk/images/chainbreak3.jpg

These techniques can be effective, fans, but they can also get you
arrested, so be careful what country/jurisdiction you are in before you
try them.

Also, please do not try the above on White Bengal Tigers.

Much Thanks to Stephen Barry King for illustrating Koehler Dog Training
techniques so well. For more about him, you can go he

http://www.oozemagazine.co.uk/guilty.htm

this is michael
reporting live...
http://dogtv.com

[...]

Please help with 1yr old, keeps biting until it bled. Dog breeds 1 April 22nd 04 01:39 PM
Nipping & Biting Problem mic-hae.l Dog rescue 2 October 18th 03 08:42 PM
NEED HELP! MY DOG HAS A SKIN PROBLEM maureen espeleta Dog health 4 September 15th 03 06:38 PM
NEED HELP! MY DOG HAS A SKIN PROBLEM maureen espeleta Dog health 0 September 13th 03 04:40 PM
Is this a problem? Suja Dog behavior 7 July 26th 03 01:35 AM