how much water does a dog drink per day?

Old September 28th 07, 12:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default how much water does a dog drink per day?

In article ,
BethInAK wrote:
Any idea?

My dogs are weighed every time we go to the vet, and I bet
that if I just stopped by they'd let me weigh them on their
scale. But, easier than that: pick up your dog, step on
your home scale and record the weight. Put down the dog,
step on your home scale, and record the weight. Find the
difference.

Old September 28th 07, 12:54 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
BethInAK

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
BethInAK wrote:
Any idea?

My dogs are weighed every time we go to the vet, and I bet
that if I just stopped by they'd let me weigh them on their
scale. But, easier than that: pick up your dog, step on
your home scale and record the weight. Put down the dog,
step on your home scale, and record the weight. Find the
difference.

This is a work project -we are trying to create a cache of supplies for 250
people and their cats and dogs. We've estimated 65 cats and 60 dogs will be
at the clinic in the case of emergency and are trying to figure out how much
supplies are needed.

Average dog weight is much harder than cats.

Old September 28th 07, 12:59 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

BethInAK wrote:

This is a work project -we are trying to create a cache of supplies for
250 people and their cats and dogs. We've estimated 65 cats and 60 dogs
will be at the clinic in the case of emergency and are trying to figure
out how much supplies are needed.

"at the clinic"? Is this a known population of dogs, then? Can
you just look up the dogs' weights in their records and take an
average? Or draw a random sample of, say, 60 dogs from the
records and use the average from that? (I'm thinking that if
it's a known local population, the average might differ from a US
national average... say, for example, if toy dogs were
underrepresented.)

FurPaw

--
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched,
every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old September 28th 07, 01:05 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
BethInAK

"FurPaw" wrote in message
. ..
BethInAK wrote:

This is a work project -we are trying to create a cache of supplies for
250 people and their cats and dogs. We've estimated 65 cats and 60 dogs
will be at the clinic in the case of emergency and are trying to figure
out how much supplies are needed.

"at the clinic"? Is this a known population of dogs, then? Can you just
look up the dogs' weights in their records and take an average? Or draw a
random sample of, say, 60 dogs from the records and use the average from
that? (I'm thinking that if it's a known local population, the average
might differ from a US national average... say, for example, if toy dogs
were underrepresented.)

I guess i'm being INCREDIBLY unclear.

I work for an organization that is a membership organization of HEALTH
CLINICS FOR HUMANS.

one of those clinics, here in anchorage, has become one fo the congregate
care locations in the disaster plan of the city. In an emergency, they are
prepared to take on 250 humans and their 60 dogs and 65 cats. They have
asked me to help figure out how much in the way of supplies they should have
on hand for consumables, including water and food for the dogs and cats.

Its a pretty "guesstimate" kind of thing, I know. Maybe I should just call
my vets office for a recommendation.

Old September 28th 07, 01:18 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"BethInAK" wrote in message:

In an emergency, they are
prepared to take on 250 humans and their 60 dogs and 65 cats.

Hopefully, dogs and cats won't all commingle.

They have
asked me to help figure out how much in the way of supplies they should

have
on hand for consumables, including water and food for the dogs and cats.

What are the commonest breeds of dogs in city/town/county? That would
probably give you a better estimate than anything else, I'd guess. If they
have licensing laws, maybe that agency keeps track of breed numbers on the
basis of registration?

Suja

Old September 28th 07, 01:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
BethInAK

"Suja" wrote in message

"BethInAK" wrote in message:

In an emergency, they are
prepared to take on 250 humans and their 60 dogs and 65 cats.

Hopefully, dogs and cats won't all commingle.

They have
asked me to help figure out how much in the way of supplies they should

have
on hand for consumables, including water and food for the dogs and cats.

What are the commonest breeds of dogs in city/town/county? That would
probably give you a better estimate than anything else, I'd guess. If
they
have licensing laws, maybe that agency keeps track of breed numbers on the
basis of registration?

I think we will take a large average - say 50 pounds, and just multiply from
there. Better too much than too little.

Old September 28th 07, 01:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
BethInAK

On 2007-09-27 19:54:23 -0400, "BethInAK" said:

This is a work project -we are trying to create a cache of supplies for
250 people and their cats and dogs. We've estimated 65 cats and 60 dogs
will be at the clinic in the case of emergency and are trying to figure
out how much supplies are needed.

Average dog weight is much harder than cats.

Are dogs in your neck of the woods generally large? In our area, there are
few giant dogs. Most people have dogs that are either in the 75 lb range
or under 25 lbs.

I'm considering dog classes - what was the mix I saw.
I think our area varies - lots of small dogs because people travel. Not too
many giants.

Old September 28th 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

Suja wrote:

"BethInAK" wrote in message:

In an emergency, they are
prepared to take on 250 humans and their 60 dogs and 65 cats.

Hopefully, dogs and cats won't all commingle.

They have
asked me to help figure out how much in the way of supplies they should

have

on hand for consumables, including water and food for the dogs and cats.

What are the commonest breeds of dogs in city/town/county? That would
probably give you a better estimate than anything else, I'd guess. If they
have licensing laws, maybe that agency keeps track of breed numbers on the
basis of registration?

The North American Flyball Assiciation (NAFA) tracks registrations by
breed, as does rival sanctioning organization, U-FLI. The populations
represented is undoubtedly skewed, though, with border collies and other
performance breeds heavily represented.

NAFA's website: http://nafadb.flyball.org/breedlist.htm
U-FLI's website: http://www.u-fli.com/dogbreedreport.php

If I had to ball-park an average dog weight and wanted to err on the
high side I'd estimate 50 lbs. If I wanted a number I could back up
with stats I'd try contacting my vet's office. They are moving toward a
paperless practice and all client dogs' most current weights are in
their computers and depending on their software, that might be something
they could pull up relatively quickly.

Old September 28th 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
BethInAK

"Kathleen" wrote in message
Suja wrote:

"BethInAK" wrote in message:

[...]

your vet has doggie EMR?
Thats COOL

Old September 28th 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"montana wildhack" wrote in message:

Are dogs in your neck of the woods generally large? In our area, there
are few giant dogs. Most people have dogs that are either in the 75 lb
range or under 25 lbs.

That's kinda how it is around here as well. The dog park population
definitely skews larger; I suspect that a lot of small dog owners are afraid
to bring their small dogs in and have them mingle among the large. Average
would probably be 50 - 60 pounds, maybe closer to 60.

Suja