kennel vs. home raised

Old September 23rd 03, 02:08 PM
megan

Default kennel vs. home raised

Hello all!

this is my first post here, and i have a question for you all.

my partner and i are wanting to get a dog, so we have been doing some
research into breeds for our climate, yard and house size. we have it
narrowed down to beagles.

my question is.....what do you feel, if any, is the difference between
dogs raised in the home vs. dogs who are kennel raised? the breeders
around here all seem to kennel raise, except for one, who raises her
very small pack in her home. i, myself, am not that thrilled with
kennel raising, having NEVER gotten a dog raised in that manner. all
of my dogs have always been house raised, even those i have had that
were pure breeds. basically, i am telling my partner that there is an
extreme difference when it comes to the ease of house training and
basic manners, and my partner disagrees with that. my dogs are
intended to be family members, who live with their people, sleep in
the house, eat in the house, go on trips, come into work, sleep on the
couch if they want to, or jump into bed if they feel a tad lonely at
night. for that purpose, i feel that a house raised dog is better fit
for that, than one raised in a kennel, who can get confused by the
chaos that goes on in a home, ie: phones ringing, radios on, tv on,
while dinner is being cooked in one room, people are calling out to
each other from different rooms, walking around, carrying
laundry...all at about the same time. rather then spending the first
few weeks getting our new family member used to being inside a house,
i would like to get to know who the little bugger is, show him who we
are, play and teach him where to go whizz outside....if you get my
drift.

before anyone starts a rant....let me just say, i have had 7 dogs who
have all lived long, healthy, well trained lives...i have never hit,
thumped, screamed at (with one exception, but that involved a puppy, a
fast moving truck and a run-away ball on a windy day, so i think i am
excused for panicing for a moment, i was also 12 at the time), used a
prong collar, shock collar, electric fence or anything else on ANY of
my dogs, EVER...i have had a golden/husky mix (kira), a springer
spaniel (mighty mini max, also called maxi pad), irish setter
(gretchen), american bulldog mix (skyloh), a golden (chaucer), and 2
rotties (sophie and simon). ALL of whom were dogs who were well
mannered in public, played great with other dogs, children, elderly
and even developmentaly disabled persons, so i very much DON'T need to
be told how to help a great animal really shine.

as you can all see, i have been reading posts here, and sorta already
know that i will have to be very clear with what i say. i was shown
this newgroup by someone else who has a bit of experience with a guide
one of you has posted, so i hope someone here can give me some good
examples of kennel vs. home raising.

thanks,

megan
Old September 23rd 03, 02:15 PM
Alison

Hi Megan ,
Stick to your guns , you know you are right . I would beg a pup from
the woman who homes raises them .

--
Alison

"megan" wrote in message
om...
Hello all!

this is my first post here, and i have a question for you all.

my partner and i are wanting to get a dog, so we have been doing

some
research into breeds for our climate, yard and house size. we have

it
narrowed down to beagles.

my question is.....what do you feel, if any, is the difference

between
dogs raised in the home vs. dogs who are kennel raised? the breeders
around here all seem to kennel raise, except for one, who raises her
very small pack in her home. i, myself, am not that thrilled with
kennel raising, having NEVER gotten a dog raised in that manner. all
of my dogs have always been house raised, megan

Old September 23rd 03, 02:27 PM

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, megan wrote:

my question is.....what do you feel, if any, is the
difference between dogs raised in the home vs. dogs who are
kennel raised?

i would think it would be *very* difficult to give a puppy the
proper amount of socialization if it lives in a kennel. i
suppose it could happen, but it isn't likely.

what other criteria are you using in your search for the right
breeder? have you checked out Diane Blackman's website? she
has some very good pointers:
http://www.dog-play.com/ethics.html.

i think you'll find that, once you start seriously researching
breeders, the kennel vs. home-raised issue will disappear
because the breeders who kennel-raise their pups will likely
self-deselect themselves from your list of viable options for
other reasons.

--
shelly (perfectly foul wench) and elliott and harriet
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette

Old September 23rd 03, 02:59 PM
Shelly & The Boys

"shelly" wrote in message
arble.net...
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, megan wrote:

my question is.....what do you feel, if any, is the
difference between dogs raised in the home vs. dogs who are
kennel raised?

i would think it would be *very* difficult to give a puppy the
proper amount of socialization if it lives in a kennel. i
suppose it could happen, but it isn't likely.

what other criteria are you using in your search for the right
breeder? have you checked out Diane Blackman's website? she
has some very good pointers:
http://www.dog-play.com/ethics.html.

i think you'll find that, once you start seriously researching
breeders, the kennel vs. home-raised issue will disappear
because the breeders who kennel-raise their pups will likely
self-deselect themselves from your list of viable options for
other reasons.

Question...although I'd not consider a pup for myself
(ie: a herding breed) from anything other than a home-raised
situation (maybe kenneled at night, but in the home throughout
the day at the very least), I wonder if this might vary due
to the breed.
Mostly what comes to mind are the hounds that tend to
live/run in packs (Beagles, Foxhounds, Harriers, Coonhounds?,
Bloodhounds). Personally, I cannot imagine a litter/houseful
of Bloodhounds w/o teflon coating and/or waterproofing my entire home!
Of course, that is why although I like & appreciate Bloodhounds
for what they are, I'd not ever have one. :-)
Just curious...
Provided all of the other factors (socializing, health testing, etc.)
are done, of course a home-raised would be ideal. But I'm just
wondering if ideals through breeds are somewhat interchangeable.
As an example: if someone was *specifically* looking for an Anatolian for
flock guarding, would they want a dog that was super-socialized to
human stuff, or rather raised w/ flock & littermates other dogs?
Shelly & The Boys