Newfoundland With Prey Drive--serious problem

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 24th 09, 06:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Newfoundland With Prey Drive--serious problem

I received this on a newf rescue board and asked for permission to
post it here.

Many of you are AWESOME with advice and interpretation. I'm game to
take back everything everyone says.

I had nothing to do with the original post but I can go to the poster
and get more info as needed.
*********************

I have a Newfoundland mix (possibly with black lab) that I
rescued as a small puppy, (at approximately 12 weeks of
age). He is now 2 1/2 years old.
We also have a Golden Retriever and cats. Up until
the end of January, we never had any problem. One day,
my husband and I went away for several hours and while we
were gone, "Nick" had grabbed one of my cats and
caused it to have a hernia. I work part-time at a vet
office, so I took him immediately to have it repaired.
Since that time, I have tried to be careful not to allow
Nick the opportunity to be alone with this particular
cat. Despite the fact that the other cats lay all
around the house and Nick never seems to bother them, I try
to put "Casper" in a separate room. However,
last Monday, my husband left for approx. 10 to 15 minutes
and when he returned, he knew that something had
happened. When he found Casper, he was
hyperventilating and breathing through his mouth and
obviously in shock. He rushed him into the vet office
and we got him calmed down with anti-shock med. and pain
med. , however, x-rays showed that he had 2 fractured ribs
and we found a couple puncture wounds, on his back.
This evening, my husband took both dogs for their daily
walk and Nick ran ahead of him. When he caught up to
him, he found him straddling a baby fawn, that he had just
killed (while the mother stood nearby and watched).
This is such unacceptable behavior that I am at a loss as to
what to do. This dog is perfect in every other
way. He has never been aggressive to any person, has
never had accidents in the house, we live near a road, which
he never attempts to go on. He doesn't lack
attention. We have an in-ground pool that he has total
access to, at all times, and he loves. I just
don't know what to do. My husband and I both
dearly love this dog, but do not feel that he can be
trusted. I just don't know what triggers his
aggressive actions. Any advise would be greatly
appreciated.
Thank you,
delete owners name

Prey drive OVERBOARD ! buzzsaw Dog rescue 0 March 15th 07 04:24 AM
prey drive ! Betty Dog behavior 1 July 31st 03 07:40 PM
prey drive? what's that? Shelly & The Boys Dog behavior 1 July 18th 03 08:34 PM