possible stomach problems

Old March 18th 07, 01:12 AM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

Default possible stomach problems

Cali's energy level is normal, her appetite is existant but she's not
eating as much as normal, she looks normal/healthy (ears, eyes, etc as they
should be) and her stools are normal too. She's also peeing the same as
normal (not more or less frequently). The only thing that worries me is
that she is spitting up, almost like throwing up in her mouth and then
swallowing it again. She's doing this a few times a day. A few times, she
actually thrown up on the floor. This behavior has lasted about 3 days. I
called the vet and they seemed unconcerned after 2 days but thought she'll
need to come in if it lasts too much longer. Any ideas what this could be?
Is this something that can wait till Monday to get to a vet? Thanks for any
help.

In case it matters, for anyone who doesn't know already, Cali is an 8
pound, 19-month-old, spayed, mini poodle.

~~~~~
Jenny, Maui and Cali

Old March 18th 07, 02:22 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health
Deborah, DVM

You might try holding her off of food/treats for a day and see what happens
(basically let her have water and nothing but that -- assuming she doesn't
have some medical reason that she has to eat frequently!). If that doesn't
resolve it, you definitely need to get her in to be seen. Dogs will
sometimes just get a tummy upset, though, often from eating something they
shouldn't, and it won't resolve as long as they continue to eat (system just
sometimes needs time to recover). Hopefully it's nothing but you don't want
to wait too long to see.

Deborah, DVM

Old March 18th 07, 06:24 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

You might try holding her off of food/treats for a day and see what
happens (basically let her have water and nothing but that -- assuming she
doesn't have some medical reason that she has to eat frequently!). If
that doesn't resolve it, you definitely need to get her in to be seen.
Dogs will sometimes just get a tummy upset, though, often from eating
something they shouldn't, and it won't resolve as long as they continue to
eat (system just sometimes needs time to recover). Hopefully it's nothing
but you don't want to wait too long to see.

thanks for responding. I am definately getting her seen but I guess I will
wait till Monday and without food/treats till then to see if that helps.
Thanks for the help!

Old March 22nd 07, 01:43 AM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

You might try holding her off of food/treats for a day and see what
happens (basically let her have water and nothing but that -- assuming she
doesn't have some medical reason that she has to eat frequently!). If
that doesn't resolve it, you definitely need to get her in to be seen.
Dogs will sometimes just get a tummy upset, though, often from eating
something they shouldn't, and it won't resolve as long as they continue to
eat (system just sometimes needs time to recover). Hopefully it's nothing
but you don't want to wait too long to see.

ok, vet saw Cali on Monday, says she appears to be fine. didn't run tests
of any kind, just looked her over. there was no spitting up/vomitting on
Monday. I withheld food on Sunday and fed her Monday afternoon. She was
really excited about eating and wanted more (which she didn't get). Anyway,
Tuesday she was fine. Today, she did the spitting up thing again a few
times (like a wet burp or spitting up in her mouth and then swallowing it).
I called the vet who recommended some Reglan syrup for 10 days. I gave her
the first dose at 8 pm. At 9:30pm, she threw up a small amount onto the
floor. In it was a piece of treat she had around 9pm and some watery stuff.
Should I call the vet again in the morning? Withhold food again? Get her
seen but this time get her tested (bloodwork, xray, etc)? The first time,
the vet didn't mention doing tests because she didn't feel any were
necessary. thanks for any further advice.

Old March 22nd 07, 02:30 AM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health
Deborah, DVM

"MauiJNP" wrote in message
In it was a piece of treat she had around 9pm and some watery stuff.
Should I call the vet again in the morning? Withhold food again? Get her
seen but this time get her tested (bloodwork, xray, etc)? The first time,
the vet didn't mention doing tests because she didn't feel any were
necessary. thanks for any further advice.

Hmm....threw up a treat? I wouldn't be giving her any treats ;-).
Seriously, here's my protocol for suspected gastritis: no food for 24 hours
then bland diet only (Hill's i/d, cooked white rice with white meat chicken
or defatted cooked hamburger or cooked egg or cottage cheese) for a day or
two, absolutely NO TREATS OR RAWHIDES OR OTHER CHEWIES for at least a week
beyond when the dog is clinically normal. Reintroduce normal diet after a
day or two of no vomiting. If they relapse with this bland diet then I
definitely do further diagnostics -- bloodwork +/- xrays +/- other tests
depending on the dog and the circumstances. I sometimes use reglan,
sometimes not. Some dogs don't tolerate reglan well. Best thing is to talk
to your vet and see what he/she recommends.

But I'd still avoid the treats ;-).

Deborah, DVM

Old March 23rd 07, 08:11 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

--
~~~~~
Jenny, Maui and Cali
"Deborah, DVM" wrote in message

"MauiJNP" wrote in message
[...]

thanks for the advice, the diet you recommended definately sounds like it
gives her belly more time to heal, thanks again