Alert - Superpetz groomer charged with animal cruelty

Old October 25th 05, 05:57 PM
September

Default Alert - Superpetz groomer charged with animal cruelty

Animal neglect and improper care
Charleston, SC (US)

Date: Oct 15, 2005
Disposition: Alleged
Alleged Abusers:
* Lisa Cauthen
* Cheron Gilcrest - Not Charged
Upcoming Court Dates:
* Nov 14, 2005

Classification: Neglect / Abandonment
Animal: dog (non pit-bull)
Suspect was in animal welfare field

Superpetz dog groomer, Cheron "Ronnie" Gilcrest, allegedly abandoned a
customer's two dogs on October 15, 2005. She reportedly left for the
day without calling the owner or leaving a message to come pick up the
dogs from the Sam Rittenburg location.

The customer, September Welborn, arrived home from working Hurricane
Katrina relief efforts with Slidell, LA Animal Control just the day
before. She took her two English Setters, Max and Star - themselves
recently rescued - to be groomed at Superpetz, a national pet
"superstore". At 5:00 she stopped by the store to see if the dogs were
finished, but they were not. She asked the groomer what time they
closed and was told, "We do not leave until we are finished." Welborn
had not heard anything by 7:00 pm, so she called the store, and the
person who answered the phone said, "Everyone left for the day". Not
only had the groomer allegedly caged the two animals for over 7 hours,
but she left for the day without bothering to call the owner.

When Welborn confronted the Store Manager, Lisa Cauthen, the next day,
Cauthen told her, "Is this about last night? They called me at home to
tell me your dogs were left... I heard the conditions were really bad
in the cage and that the dogs had to be re-bathed. How did it look when
you went back there? ...I have written up this employee several times
already". Cauthen's story changed when questioned by the police.

City of Charleston Animal Control Officer Marcus Grant issued a
criminal citation, case number 0522588, for Animal Neglect And Improper
Care against the store manager, Lisa Cauthen, on October 17, 2005. The
court date is set for November 14, 2005.

References
City of Charleston Animal Control case number 0522588

http://www.pet-abuse.com/cases/5763

Old October 25th 05, 06:28 PM
Tee

oups.com...

Date: Oct 15, 2005
Disposition: Alleged

For some very strange reason this incident never made the local news which
is always eager to post dog-related articles (both good & bad).

--
Tara

Old October 25th 05, 06:29 PM
Dr. Gutsy Do Right Dog

I wll take the poor dogs who are neglected

Old October 26th 05, 08:17 PM
culprit

"September" wrote in message
oups.com...

Classification: Neglect / Abandonment
Animal: dog (non pit-bull)
Suspect was in animal welfare field

WTF does it matter if the dogs were pit bulls or not???

-kelly

Old October 26th 05, 08:50 PM
cimawr

culprit wrote:

WTF does it matter if the dogs were pit bulls or not???

Was wondering that myself, especially since it seems to be a
designation used by the "anti-abuse" website.

Personally, I don't get how this case constitutes "abuse" at all -
the owner dropped the dogs off in the morning, spoke to the groomer at
5 pm, and apparently picked the dogs up the same night.

Old October 26th 05, 08:55 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

"cimawr" wrote in news:1130356211.792380.312330
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

culprit wrote:

WTF does it matter if the dogs were pit bulls or not???

Was wondering that myself, especially since it seems to be a
designation used by the "anti-abuse" website.

Personally, I don't get how this case constitutes "abuse" at all -
the owner dropped the dogs off in the morning, spoke to the groomer at
5 pm, and apparently picked the dogs up the same night.

I couldn't tell when the dogs were picked up from the story. We know when
they were dropped off (AM) when she went by the first time (5pm) and when
she called the owner (7 PM). Beyond that, we don't know when the dogs were
picked up or anything.

--
Marcel and Moogli
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/
Old October 26th 05, 08:57 PM
cimawr

BTW - I went and looked on that site; sorry, but any group which
distributes literature telling people to call PETA if they don't like
the way their neighbors keep their dogs is highly suspect in *my* book.

Old October 26th 05, 09:07 PM
cimawr

I couldn't tell when the dogs were picked up from the story.

It's clearly indicted in what the store manager allegedly said when
spoken to the next day- the dogs' owner was not only on the premises
of the store the night before, but in the grooming area where her dogs
were crated.

"When Welborn confronted the Store Manager, Lisa Cauthen, the next day,

Cauthen said "... I heard the conditions were really bad
in the cage and that the dogs had to be re-bathed. How did it look when

you went back there?"

It's possible (but IMO, highly improbable) that she left the dogs
there overnight, but odds are good she took them home.

Old October 26th 05, 11:10 PM
Tee

"cimawr" wrote in message
oups.com...
BTW - I went and looked on that site; sorry, but any group which
distributes literature telling people to call PETA if they don't like
the way their neighbors keep their dogs is highly suspect in *my* book.

I found it suspect (didn't read the website) because it hasn't been reported
in the Post & Courier, our (Charleston) local paper. That's the same paper
I quoted in *breeds about the latest Pit Bull cruelty case and the same
paper I've quoted in the past on other dog issues. It wouldn't skip
something like this unless there wasn't anything very suspicious afterall
IMO.

--
Tara

Old October 27th 05, 06:41 PM
September September is offline
Junior Member

Tara,

I contacted the Post and Courier, specifically John Chambliss who most often covers these types of stories. He has not moved with the information. I also walked copied of the police report to the tv stations, as even when I went to retreive it myself it was difficult for them to locate a copy. Unfortunately, not all the news gets covered and it depends on timing. My one voice has not been enough to get the story covered, though I have tried.

Regards,

September