worth

Old November 15th 07, 05:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

Default worth

Stemming from td's "brags" about her DH's expensive toys, I have to
admit being a little shocked when people brag about how much money they
spend on things. Me? I like to spend as little as possible and enjoy
my lifestyle, whatever it may be.

We're "comfortable". But we make choices that don't put us into hock
up to our eyeballs, and we don't have to have the newest toys, the most
expensive whatever, etc. I don't purchase for the benefit of the Jones'
(heck - I don't think I know anyone named Jones!).

I don't mind spending money for quality, or for something that fits the
bill. The TV for instance. We got LCD tvs for the reason that we have
a not-so-big house and the less room something takes up (and the less
surface to dust) the happier I am. We also enjoy watching sports and
movies. I'm all for spending money on anything that makes my life
easier, or even more enjoyable, but to tell people that I have a lot of
expensive stuff? Huh?

How about dogs? Some cost a whole lotta money, some very little. Some
that cost very little wind up costing a lot in other ways. I admit that
I would spend pretty much anything if it was the *right* thing for me
pet.

With all of the foreclosures going on around the nation, I find people's
attitudes toward money, spending and goods, very interesting.

--
Janet Boss
Old November 15th 07, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Janet Boss wrote:
With all of the foreclosures going on around the nation, I find people's
attitudes toward money, spending and goods, very interesting.

The US is kind of over a barrel right now. The attitudes
you're talking about really are responsible for much of the
recent economic growth, since consumer spending makes up
about 2/3 of economic activity. Unfortunately a lot of
money for that spending has come out of mortgage equity
withdrawal, and at this point people have pretty much tapped
out their homes (not me - I paid mine off). MEW has
contributed to the negative savings rate over the past few
years, which in turn is one of the things that's contributed
to the decline of the dollar. Consuming less and bringing
the savings rate up is key to correcting trade and current
account imbalances, as well, but it also means slowing the
economy. So, even setting aside things like declining
middle class incomes, lowered economic mobility, and stuff
like that, things are pretty shaky at the moment.

Vote, and remember that the folks who created these problems
are unlikely to be the ones to fix it.

Old November 15th 07, 06:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer

"Janet Boss" wrote in message
[...]

Well my intention certainly wasn't to *brag*. It was because I *thought*
what ever was being said was said to make my husband look like someone who
had no *choices* in his life. Had no *power* in our marriage. My point
was, 'he buys what ever he wants and we have NEVER had the usual money
arguements that appear to plague so many marriages.' We've always shared
checking and savings accounts. You people have been ragging on me since I
got here. And you have absolutely no idea who or what I am.

We have no need to worry about foreclosure. We have lived a very thrifty
life. Our home is paid for, so please don't worry we will soon be out on
the streets. None of our daughters had student loans to pay off after
college. And my husband and I both 'came from' nothing, so we had no *help*
from anybody in that regard.

It's too bad you don't take the time to know someone before judging them.
As I said on a different thread, we both drive cars that are over 10 years
old. The things we find to be of value in our lives are very different from
what most do.

We have no credit cards that carry balances. We only buy what we can pay
for, and have plenty of savings for our retirement. So please don't worry
about us, we are in no danger of foreclosure.

td

--
Janet Boss

Old November 15th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
tiny dancer wrote:
Well my intention certainly wasn't to *brag*.

[Deleted somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 lines of
bragging.]

Old November 15th 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

"Janet Boss" wrote in message
[...]

www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

===============
And this has what to do with dog behavior?

Old November 15th 07, 07:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

pfoley wrote:

===============
And this has what to do with dog behavior?

This part, potentially.

How about dogs? Some cost a whole lotta money, some very little. Some
that cost very little wind up costing a lot in other ways. I admit that
I would spend pretty much anything if it was the *right* thing for me
pet.

If you are concerned that the discussion is off topic, then instead
of bitching about it, you could have actually addressed the on-topic
part of Janet's post. Or you could go hang out on the Rottweiler
web forum you like so much.

--
Shelly
Old November 15th 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
"pfoley" wrote:

And this has what to do with dog behavior?

As much as many other things! HTH! But at least I wrote about dogs
(and my behavior as it relates to them):

Old November 15th 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
Shelly wrote:

If you are concerned that the discussion is off topic, then instead
of bitching about it, you could have actually addressed the on-topic
part of Janet's post.

Yup!

I always laugh about "free" pets, because those can wind up being pretty
costly sometimes. Carey (behaviorally challenged cat who affects the
dogs' behavior) was "free". I don't want to add up what we have spent
trying to find an answer. Franklin was my most expensive pet though,
both initial cost and "maintenance fees". While I will send anything
that does good for them medically, as I said, the fees I really don't
mind are the ones for their activities. Doing something we both enjoy
is always pretty great. I have often thought there must be a way for
them to generate some income on their own, but I haven't come up with it
yet!

--
Janet Boss
Old November 15th 07, 08:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Mary Healey

Janet Boss wrote:
I always laugh about "free" pets, because those can wind up being pretty
costly sometimes.

Heh. Over on rec.eq, one of the regulars picked up a free OTTB from one of
the east coast racetracks. (I've seen pictures, he's a nice, nice
critter.) On the trailer ride home, he sliced his hock to the bone and
required both an emergency vet AND emergency surgery. And that was before
he'd stepped foot on her property.

Gareth, of course, cost me the equivalent of an economy car over his last
few years. Purchase price (or "free") is a ridiculously small fraction of
what an animal will cost over the years, and it's not a useful predictor of
future costs. Expensive purchases might be easy maintenance, or not.
Cheap/free critters might be easy maintenance, or not.

I visited a stable where I used to board and saw Rollie, a big tom barncat.
They figure he's about 21 years old now, and about as low maintenance as
they come.
Old November 15th 07, 08:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
ceb

Janet Boss wrote in
:

I have often thought there must be a way for
them to generate some income on their own, but I haven't come up with
it yet!

There used to be an ACD in my neighborhood who had a real job -- he
chased geese away at a local business park. I don't know whether he got
any cash for it, though.

--
Catherine
& Zoe, Queenie, & Max, 3 black dogs of varying sizes