A dog & canine forum. DogBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » DogBanter forum » Dog forums » Dog behavior
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Training puppies - Female Shepherd / Male Rottweiler



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 4th 08, 06:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Training puppies - Female Shepherd / Male Rottweiler

Hello. I recently got a Female German Shepherd and Male Rottweiler
both pure bread a week ago. They are both now 9 weeks old. I am
curious if anyone has any tips or knowledge on good ways to train
them. I've had a two Shepherds and two Chiuahuahas both trained
pretty well but am very open to any tips or advice.

Quick notes on both of them to give you an idea of what I am dealing
with.

Female German Shepherd :
Taught her how to sit and go up / down stairs.
She taught herself to climb extremely well.
Affectionate, playful.
Shes starting to understand her name lately.

Male Rottweiler :
Playful
Taught him how to go up / down stairs.
Isn't very affectionate, would rather teeth on my hand rather then
lick/kiss me.
Growls when someone touches him while he is eating. Personally he
will growl at me during this time but stops and doesnt try to bite
me. Was told if he does go to snap on me to put my fingers behind his
front bottom teeth and to put alittle pressure and tell him no.
Beginning to understand his name, but is catching on slowly.

Overall, I could use any tips or advice you'd like to share,
especially with these type of gender/bread dogs.

They are currently on pee pads now, due to being pups and not being
able to control there bladder for another 1-2 months. Anyone have any
ways or advice on starting to teach them to go outside? The only
thing I have done with my previous dogs was taking their pee pads and
putting them outside frequently to let them smell them, and 3 out of
the 4 previous dogs caught on and would scratch at my back door to go
outside as they grew up. Anyone have any more advice? I live in a
split level home, with an upper and lower deck fenced in yard. If
that would help.


Very appreciate and thankful for the advice.! Hope you all have a
great summer.

  #2  
Old June 4th 08, 06:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,368
Default Training puppies - Female Shepherd / Male Rottweiler

In article
,
wrote:


Growls when someone touches him while he is eating. Personally he
will growl at me during this time but stops and doesnt try to bite
me. Was told if he does go to snap on me to put my fingers behind his
front bottom teeth and to put alittle pressure and tell him no.
Beginning to understand his name, but is catching on slowly.


stop doing that Start feeding him a portion of his meal and adding more
to his meal as he eats. You want him thinking that coming near his food
is a GOOD thing, not a confrontational one.


Overall, I could use any tips or advice you'd like to share,
especially with these type of gender/bread dogs.


Breed. Why did you get 2 puppies at once?

They are currently on pee pads now, due to being pups and not being
able to control there bladder for another 1-2 months.


Of course they can control their bladders. Just not for long periods of
time.

Anyone have any
ways or advice on starting to teach them to go outside?


Crate training and consistent feeding and outing schedules.

The only
thing I have done with my previous dogs was taking their pee pads and
putting them outside frequently to let them smell them, and 3 out of
the 4 previous dogs caught on and would scratch at my back door to go
outside as they grew up. Anyone have any more advice? I live in a
split level home, with an upper and lower deck fenced in yard. If
that would help.


I live in a split level home with upper deck and patio and fenced yard.
I have never used pee pads, nor would I. Confine (separate crates) when
you can't watch, like overnight and when you aren't home. TAKE out on a
regular basis. With 2 puppies, they're pretty active, so start with
every hour, right after waking and after eating (which they need to do
separately). Don't leave them home alone for longer than 4 hours.
Come home during the day or hire someone to. They should be getting fed
3-4x/day at this age.

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
  #3  
Old June 4th 08, 06:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
shelly
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,155
Default Training puppies - Female Shepherd / Male Rottweiler

wrote:

Isn't very affectionate, would rather teeth on my hand rather then
lick/kiss me.


That sounds like normal mouthiness. You can try yelping when he
chews on you, to let him know that it's unacceptable. Withdrawing
attention when he bites is another option. That teaches him that
when his teeth touch your skin, the fun is over.

Growls when someone touches him while he is eating. Personally he
will growl at me during this time but stops and doesnt try to bite
me. Was told if he does go to snap on me to put my fingers behind his
front bottom teeth and to put alittle pressure and tell him no.


I'd recommend getting a consultation with a local trainer. This is
probably not a huge problem, but if you mishandle it, it has the
potential to become one.

In the meantime, I'd feed him by hand, one kibble at a time. That
teaches him that good things come from you, and that you are not
there to threaten his food supply. I'd stop correcting him for
growling, though. You want to build good associations instead of
giving him the message that he has something to growl about.

They are currently on pee pads now, due to being pups and not being
able to control there bladder for another 1-2 months. Anyone have any
ways or advice on starting to teach them to go outside?


I'd try to get them off the pee pads ASAP. Is there someone who can
come let the dogs out during the day?

As for transitioning from pee pads to going outside, I haven't a
clue, as I've never used pee pads for my dogs.

--
Shelly
http://www.cat-sidh.net (the Mother Ship)
http://esther.cat-sidh.net (Letters to Esther)
  #4  
Old June 4th 08, 06:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome \Jack\ Morrison
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 290
Default Training puppies - Female Shepherd / Male Rottweiler

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 10:24:07 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]
Male Rottweiler :
Playful
Taught him how to go up / down stairs.
Isn't very affectionate, would rather teeth on my hand rather then
lick/kiss me.
Growls when someone touches him while he is eating. Personally he
will growl at me during this time but stops and doesnt try to bite
me.


That could be nothing more than the typical Rottie "grumble," and is
probably nothing to fear. Rotties are very vocal dogs, even as pups.

Where did you get these puppies? From a breeder?

Why did you get *two* puppies?

Overall, I could use any tips or advice you'd like to share,
especially with these type of gender/bread dogs.


You should enroll yourself and your puppies, ASAP, in a good puppy
obedience class.

There you will learn the things you will need to know, and have an
opportunity to better Socialize your puppies, which will both REQUIRE
quite a bit of proper Socialization.

Do you understand what I mean by proper Socialization?

They are currently on pee pads now, due to being pups and not being
able to control there bladder for another 1-2 months. Anyone have any
ways or advice on starting to teach them to go outside?


Yes, throw the pee pads away today, and begin taking your puppies
*outside* as often as possible to "go", even hourly. And don't let
them make any mistakes inside the house. No, not even one.

Your constant VIGILANCE is required.

This might help:
http://www.barkbytes.com/training/house.htm

That's it in a nutshell, but there are some very good books out there
to help you housetrain, train, etc. your puppies.

Here's some that might help, too.
http://dogplay.com/Behavior/index.html#owner

--
Handsome "Jack" Morrison

Why I am an anti-intellectual. Hi, Melinda!
http://prawfsblawg.blogs.com/prawfsb...am-an-ant.html

Saudi Montana?
http://blogs.dailymail.com/donsurber...saudi-montana/

A Dark Corner of Europe, Part I.
http://www.michaeltotten.com/archive...k-corner-o.php

Obama, and his Church of the Poisoned Mind, finally decide to split.
http://proteinwisdom.com/?p=12370

Dear Senator Obama: Join my church.
http://scottott.blogtownhall.com/200...y_church.thtml

John Adams must be smiling in heaven.
http://www.ghostofaflea.com/archives/010629.html

Everything You Ever Needed to Know About the Democratic Party.
http://corner.nationalreview.com/pos...kxOTI5YThhYjQ=

Man up, Cardinal Francis George! It's time for Michael Pfleger to go.
http://www.jillstanek.com/archives/2...r_to_arch.html

Time to return to the first principles of conservatism?
http://hotair.com/archives/2008/05/3...-conservatism/

What Is Going On At Trinity Church?
http://www.talkleft.com/story/2008/5/29/9431/74527
http://michellemalkin.com/2008/05/30...-of-bad-faith/

Americans are paying a terrible price for the Democratic Party's perverse energy policies.
http://www.powerlineblog.com/archive.../05/020589.php

Barack Obama: The Whiner's Choice. Toughen up, buttercup.
http://hotair.com/archives/2008/05/1...the-table-too/
http://rightwingnuthouse.com/archive...ng-from-obama/

  #5  
Old June 5th 08, 04:44 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
vic33
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default Training puppies - Female Shepherd / Male Rottweiler

On Jun 4, 1:24*pm, wrote:
Hello. *I recently got a Female German Shepherd and Male Rottweiler
both pure bread a week ago. *They are both now 9 weeks old. *I am
curious if anyone has any tips or knowledge on good ways to train
them. *I've had a two Shepherds and two Chiuahuahas both trained
pretty well but am very open to any tips or advice.

Quick notes on both of them to give you an idea of what I am dealing
with.

Female German Shepherd :
Taught her how to sit and go up / down stairs.
She taught herself to climb extremely well.
Affectionate, playful.
Shes starting to understand her name lately.

Male Rottweiler :
Playful
Taught him how to go up / down stairs.
Isn't very affectionate, would rather teeth on my hand rather then
lick/kiss me.
Growls when someone touches him while he is eating. *Personally he
will growl at me during this time but stops and doesnt try to bite
me. *Was told if he does go to snap on me to put my fingers behind his
front bottom teeth and to put alittle pressure and tell him no.
Beginning to understand his name, but is catching on slowly.

Overall, I could use any tips or advice you'd like to share,
especially with these type of gender/bread dogs.

They are currently on pee pads now, due to being pups and not being
able to control there bladder for another 1-2 months. *Anyone have any
ways or advice on starting to teach them to go outside? *The only
thing I have done with my previous dogs was taking their pee pads and
putting them outside frequently to let them smell them, and 3 out of
the 4 previous dogs caught on and would scratch at my back door to go
outside as they grew up. *Anyone have any more advice? *I live in a
split level home, with an upper and lower deck fenced in yard. *If
that would help.

Very appreciate and *thankful for the advice.! Hope you all have a
great summer.


hi, sit and go is basic commands especially in german shepherd, take
a note this simple steps: Have the treat in your hand and hold it in
front of your dog’s nose. Let him sniff it, lick it but do not let him
have it. Do not alter any command or signal. Slowly move the treat
from his nose and then over his head. Since your dog won’t be able to
get to the treat in its normal position, he will sit down. If he
doesn’t sit, move the treat back to the tip of his nose and then
slowly back over his head. Repeat step 4 about five to eight times.
Again, do not alter any sound. When he eventually sits, it’s this spit
second you mark the behavior with a click and follow by a treat. Do
this a couple more times.Once your dog is able to sit reliably, it’s
when you introduce the verbal cue/command “sit”. Try step 3 again but
this time before his butt lands on the ground say the word “sit”.
Give the dog the treat and praise him lavishly but not fuss way too
much about it. He needs to recognize that you are the alpha dog. Make
sure you're acting like an alpha from the very first day that he joins
your household. If you don't, then you may experience resistance at
first when trying to assume that role.
if you haven't alpha dog training check here : http://www.dogobediencetrainingtip.com
  #6  
Old June 5th 08, 05:24 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
montana wildhack
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,032
Default Training puppies - Female Shepherd / Male Rottweiler

On 2008-06-04 23:44:30 -0400, vic33 said:

it’s this spit
second you mark the behavior with a click and follow by a treat.


Did you forget the part about loading the clicker? Why did you choose
to omit discussing the pros and cons of luring and clicker training or
the differences in the two types of training objectives?

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Male vs female dog Jrzygrl About this forum 0 October 28th 06 01:46 AM
Male vs female dog Jrzygrl About this forum 0 October 28th 06 01:45 AM
Female german shepherd attacking other female dogs M Dog behavior 16 October 27th 04 02:06 AM
Female german shepherd attacking other female dogs M Dog behavior 0 October 26th 04 01:46 PM
telling male/female Bob Seaman Dog behavior 18 December 13th 03 03:48 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.2.0 (Unregistered)
Copyright ©2004-2018 DogBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.