Animal Control & Big Dogs

Old November 21st 03, 04:12 PM

Default Animal Control & Big Dogs

My question: Would it be OK for animal control officers, to
dart/tranquilizer the free-roaming big dogs in small cities, in order to
catch (& thereby better control) them?

In late 2002, there were two huge male dogs who showed up for those
weeks, when my German-Shepherd (Rebel) was in heat. One appeared to be
a very large Border Collie (I now know he was a Border-Collie/Doberman
mix, because of his six puppies). He seemed very intelligent & savvy.

The other was a large white dog, a Great Pyrenees, whom Rebel
super-didn't care for, ... & after he'd annoyed her day & night for
weeks, she started trying to rip his face off, to kill him. He never
lost his good humor, & never gave up hope. He acted clueless, dumber
than a fence post. I sure was glad, that none of the puppies were his.

The dog-catcher couldn't catch either dog. There are lots of big open
pastures, stands of trees & thickets, fences, etc., in the city.

It would probably be best to trap the dogs, but if that failed, would
darting them be OK? [I'd hate for the large dogs, to get shot or
poisoned by someone. These dogs do need to be catchable.]

Susan, Su_Texas my opinions

PS Big Dogs

Even the vets were sorta leery of my pups, when they were six or so
months old & weighed about 65 lbs, ... even though the pups were very
friendly, liked people, & haven't bitten anyone. The vet put muzzles on
them, before giving them shots.

Also, when the police came recently, to run off my brother Robert (who
acted like he was intending to harm my dogs & possibly me), ... the
officer was very concerned about the dogs, even though they were tied or
in cages.

People are very scared of large dogs, even the friendliest ones.

The mother dog, Rebel Ann, has only acted fierce a few times. One day
when I was feeding her, two stray dogs came around the side of the house
& jumped us. I went into shock & screamed. I recall Rebel bunching up
into a tight ball at my side, leaping at them in one bound (covering
maybe six feet?), growling/snarling & being furious with them, & running
them off. That's one of the few times, she's shown any aggression.
[The other time, was with the Great Pyrenees.]

Hmmm. One other time (years ago), we were in the vet's office, she was
cornered in a small room, & she panicked, growled, & exhibited PTSD when
a male came into the room. But she was OK with females.

That's when we realized that my brother John Ben had been seriously
harming & abusing her (when I wasn't at home or aware of it), & that she
had PTSD from this. The police made JB leave her alone, I worked with
Rebel for years, & she's doing much better now.

Even when my brother-in-law (ugly Larry) came here once, & he cruelly
teased & annoyed her (against my orders, & while I went inside the house
for a moment), Rebel was nice to him (despite her PTSD). When I came
back outside, Larry bragged about what he'd done. ??? [I try to keep
my abusive birth-family (& their like-minded spouses), run off.]

I have been amazed at the patience, tolerance, & forgiveness, which my
large dogs exhibit. I've worked hard to socialize them, & make them
kind & caring.

My concern now is with the safety of large dogs, & with animal control's
being able to work with them.

What are the best ways for animal control, to deal with large dogs who
get aloose?