female dog incontinence

Old May 30th 05, 04:41 PM
Stephie

Default female dog incontinence

We have a 4 year old doberman female. This is the third one we have
had and all have been incontinent. The first two were attributed to
their dog food being too rich and they were fed Hill's C/D diet. This
controlled it unless they were given too many snacks.
We are getting desperate to figure out the problem with the current
dog. She has been on hormone therepy, PPL (strengthens the muscles)
and now are trying the special dog food. Urinalysis shows nothing
unusual. She is 4 years old and this really started about 6 months
ago. Nothing we have tried so far will control it. Has anyone else
had such a difficult case? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks

Old May 30th 05, 06:17 PM
diannes

Stephie wrote:

We are getting desperate to figure out the problem with the current
dog. She has been on hormone therepy, PPL (strengthens the muscles)
and now are trying the special dog food. Urinalysis shows nothing
unusual. She is 4 years old and this really started about 6 months
ago. Nothing we have tried so far will control it. Has anyone else
had such a difficult case? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks

This may be grasping at straws here but you asked. By any chance are
you supplementing her with Vitamin C? This was a big fad 10 or so
years ago. I was supplementing all of my dogs until one day I ran out
and - amazingly enough - my dog with the apparent spay incontinence
stopped leaking. I didn't find out until years later that this is a
documented side effect of Vitamin C, but it was obviously enough the
cause of her problem - she made it to 12.5 years and never leaked
again. (And yes, that episode DID teach me a lesson about animal
diet fads.)

HTH,

Dianne
Old May 30th 05, 07:10 PM
Scott

I have read that female incontinence can sometimes be caused by spaying
before the dog's first heat cycle. The theory is, I think, that spaying
before the dog's first cycle robs the dog of hormones that are needed
for the dog to fully develop, leaving muscle, joints, etc. slightly
underdeveloped. I have no idea if it is true or not.

Old May 31st 05, 03:10 AM
Sharon too

So what is the basis of Spay Incontinence?

I believe that spay incontinence has less to do with *when* the bitch was
spayed than the fact that it was spayed altogether regardless of the age of
the dog at the time of procedure.

Here's a good article about it:

URINARY INCONTINENCE
A look at some of the congenital and acquired causes of lost bladder
control.
BY THOMAS K. GRAVES, DVM
http://www.inkabijou.co.uk/incontinence.htm

Old May 31st 05, 04:14 AM
Stephie

Thank you Diane, Scott and Sharon for your kind replies. No we do not
give her any suppliments other than quality dog chow. Your suggestion
does go along with my idea that some how this is dietary related.
We rescued this dog when she was about 2 years old from a sad
situation, so we don't have any background on the age when she was
spayed or what all she was subjected to. We love her and she is truely
a "Cinderella story", literally went from rags to being a spoiled
darling!
I will post again when we figure this out. Thanks again friends.
Stephanie