Science Diet, nutrients and quality ingredients?

Old March 16th 05, 07:55 AM

Default Science Diet, nutrients and quality ingredients?

Why can't Science Diet have both the proper nutrients and quality
ingredients? It is so obvious that SD uses cast off filler. There is no
reason for any dogfood to contain soy meal, or peanut hulls or
cellulose. If they are really interested in pet nutrition then why can't
they use the same human grade ingredients that companies like Innova or
Canidea use and then use the nutrient profiles that SD expouses?

Old March 16th 05, 07:48 PM
John Casey

Why can't Science Diet have both the proper nutrients and quality
ingredients? It is so obvious that SD uses cast off filler. There is

no
reason for any dogfood to contain soy meal, or peanut hulls or
cellulose. If they are really interested in pet nutrition then why

can't
they use the same human grade ingredients that companies like Innova

or
Canidea use and then use the nutrient profiles that SD expouses?

I am no expert, but lets look at this from a logical/economic stand
point. In Canada, the average price for the cheapest grade A beef is
about 3$/lb. If you took regular ground beef and stuffed it into an
adult sized wet dog food can, it would take about 2 lb of hamburger to
fill. Lets say for argument the pet food companies get their beef at a
volume discount, so lets say 2 lb of beef costs them $4. A can of dog
food does not cost $4, so it is not all meat. Ok so lets say 50% of the
can is veggies, grain and filler. That would still cost $2 plus the
cost of the extras not including labour, distribution and profit. Do
you see where I am going with this? From a logical and econimic stand
point, even if you are buying the expensive $2 and $3/can dog food,
there is still no way they can contain even 50% real grade A meat and
still allow the company to recoup labour costs, distribution costs and
realize a profit. Fact is most dog food contains poor grade meat, lots
of filler, preservatives and food coloring. The food is designed to
apeal to busy dog owners, not the dogs, so they can quickly open a can
and drop some slop in a bowl before they lock their dogs up in a crate
for 8-12 hours while they are at work.

Old March 16th 05, 08:41 PM
Steve Crane

lolajo,
First of all, there is no such thing as "human grade". That means
absolutely nothing. I could package horse manure, some ground up
leather shoes, and lawn clippings and label it "human grade". The
correct and legal term is "human edible" - you will notice that none of
the companies claiming "human grade" ever use the legal term "human
edible".
For years companies claimed they were "organic", then that term was
defined under law. For years companies claimed they were "natural" then
that term was defined under law. Of the hundreds of companies that
claimed to be organic only three pet foods still qualify, of the
hundreds that claimed to be "natural" less than a couple dozen still
qualify. Each time the law catches up with such nonsense claims - these
companies do a quick retreat and invent a new name. "Holistic" is
currently in vogue. Stand by for AAFCO, USDA to legally define "human
grade" over the next couple years. You can bet that 99.9% of the
companies currently making that claim will run for cover and switch to
the next Madison Ave marketing claim.
You can fooled by Madison Avenue marketing cliams like "human
grade" if you choose. But why not do yourself a favor and ask a company
making such claims to show you where in the law or pet food regulations
the term "human grade" is defined. If you want to trust these companies
why not make them prove it to you. Make them prove that the claims they
are making are real - find the legally codified definition of "human
grade" as it applies to pet foods.

In regards to the usual nonsensical diatribe about peanut hulls and
cellulose - What nonsense. Both are used by pet food companies as
insoluble fiber for weight control. Ever hear of the dieting and eating
things like carrots, celery, etc? What do you think the cellulose
content of celery and carrots are?? The use of insoluble fiber has been
proven in peer reviewed published clinical trials to cause dogs to feel
full. This is called satiety. This keeps them from begging, which keep
pet owners from giving in and giving them more to eat which they don't
need.

Try again - maybe you can find something real to harangue the NG about.

Old March 16th 05, 08:47 PM
Steve Crane

Paws - that's just nonsense. The American Insitute of Baking is the
same group that examines all human baking establishments. Yes it is an
industry organization - the same one that inspects your human foods.

from thier website
AIB International has established a reputation for providing food
safety solutions to a variety of companies, large and small, by
building client relationships that extends beyond merely conducting
food safety audits. AIB auditors are involved in every step of the food
supply chain, and our clients have come to trust them as an invaluable
resource in their continuous commitment to producing, packing, and
distributing safe, high-quality foods.

For those of you eating General Mills cereals - the Hill's plant has
never failed to score higher on surprise inspection audits than the
General Mills plant across the river. In the last inspection the Hill's
plant scored a "superior" rating.

Old March 16th 05, 08:50 PM
Steve Crane

John,
Ahh Logic - what an amazing thing. I love it when people do the
math and the numbers make the argument without any further ado. You are
clearly correct, if consumer think they are getting filet mignon at 50
cents a pound - that's just nonsense.

Good going!

Old March 16th 05, 09:06 PM

As already mentioned, it's all about Profit. Pure and Simple.

Old March 17th 05, 10:04 AM

So my questin still wasn't aswered by the SD expert(s). Whether or not
Innova or Canidae or any other higher end dog food really uses high or
low grade meat, Why does SD use low grade ingredience? I would be in
SD's corner if they used brown rice or flaxseed instead of peanut hulls.
Or chicken meal instead of soy meal. Why do the have to use such shitty
ingredience? My old vet who was really old, told me that Hill's used to
be a great company when they were independent. But when they got bought
up buy these corporations like their current owners Colgate-Palmolive
their ingredience had really gone down hill. He could no longer
prescribe their use. I would love to see the ingredience that they used
to have when they were independent and owned by their founder. One thing
I do remember is that when I was a kid in the 60's and 70's the big dogs
in our neigborhood all ate dog foods like Alpo, Kennel Ration, Kal Kan
and their poop quickly turned to white then to powder. Now dog's poop
that are on any of the popular dry diets turns black and takes forever
to break down.

PS. When I asked a friend of mine who is a manager at a PetsMart why
they don't carry foods like Innova and Canidae. She said that PetsMart
will only carry foods at a certain price point so if Innova will not
lower their price down far enough for PetsMart to make the profit they
want to make on each bag, then it doesn't get carried.