Fancy, 1991 - 2005

Old March 22nd 05, 07:05 PM
AndreaS

Default Fancy, 1991 - 2005

Farewell sweet girl. You'll be missed.

Just a reminder to everyone, _any_ dog can get bloat. Fancy was not a huge
eater, did not gulp her food and did not, at 14 years of age, do a lot of
running around before or after eating. Or at all. Though I suppose Ibizan
Hounds might be considered deep chested, I never did and I did not know they
were at all prone to it. She was a quirky dog and tended to make weird
noises and pace around at night. When she did that at 2AM I didn't think
much of it. She had trouble standing anyway. I was sleepy and didn't realize
anything was amiss. It was just Fanny being weird again. As usual.

Well, it was bloat, and it took her life this morning. Please know the
symptoms and pay attention.

--
-Andrea Stone
Saorsa Basenjis

Old March 22nd 05, 07:08 PM
Mary Healey

"AndreaS" wrote in

Farewell sweet girl. You'll be missed.

Amen. Sad news, Andrea.

--
Mary H. and the Ames National Zoo:
Raise A Fund, ANZ Babylon Ranger, ANZ MarmaDUKE, and Rotund Rhia
Old March 22nd 05, 07:21 PM
Mary W.

AndreaS wrote:

Farewell sweet girl. You'll be missed.

Just a reminder to everyone, _any_ dog can get bloat. Fancy was not a huge
eater, did not gulp her food and did not, at 14 years of age, do a lot of
running around before or after eating. Or at all. Though I suppose Ibizan
Hounds might be considered deep chested, I never did and I did not know they
were at all prone to it. She was a quirky dog and tended to make weird
noises and pace around at night. When she did that at 2AM I didn't think
much of it. She had trouble standing anyway. I was sleepy and didn't realize
anything was amiss. It was just Fanny being weird again. As usual.

Well, it was bloat, and it took her life this morning. Please know the
symptoms and pay attention.

Thanks for the reminder Andrea. I'm so sorry for your
loss.

Mary W.
Old March 22nd 05, 07:25 PM
Rocky

AndreaS said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Farewell sweet girl. You'll be missed.

I'm sorry Andrea.

Old March 22nd 05, 07:27 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

Old March 22nd 05, 07:29 PM
ceb

"AndreaS" wrote in news:y%Z%
d.6903$uw6.3127@trnddc06:

Farewell sweet girl. You'll be missed.

Oh, I am so sorry! How awful for you!

You and Fancy are in my thoughts,

--Catherine

Old March 22nd 05, 07:30 PM

on 2005-03-22 at 19:05 wrote:

Farewell sweet girl. You'll be missed.

i'm sorry.

http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/
http://letters-to-esther.blogspot.com/
Old March 22nd 05, 07:34 PM
KWBrown

"AndreaS" wrote in

Farewell sweet girl. You'll be missed.

{andrea}

--
Kate
and Storm the FCR
Old March 22nd 05, 08:07 PM
Tee

Old March 22nd 05, 08:36 PM
Dee Jay

Dear Andrea:

So sorry to hear about the passing of your beloved girl. I've had two
experiences with bloat too. The first one, my girl bloated at 10 years
of age. We did surgery and she recovered and lived another 3 years. My
2nd episode, another of my girls bloated (again she was 10 years). We
did note the symptoms - hard to miss in her case as she looked like
she'd eaten a beach ball. Surgery was performed, however her kidneys
were badly compromised and so we made the painful decision to euthanize
her. Even if one recognizes the symptoms the chances of recovering from
bloat with torsion is iffy.

Bloat symptoms can be subtle though. With my first girl, she did not
distend in the abdomen, but rather had unproductive vomiting coupled
with restlessness. If it had not been for knowing about an Irish Setter
who also had unproductive vomiting (meaning they attempt to throw up but
cannot) who was suffering from bloat - I might have not thought much
about my own girl.

So thank you for your cautionary note, I know how painful it is and I
hope you are not beating yourself up.

Your tragedy can be summed up thus...it's much better to error on the
side of caution - take your dog in if just "think" its bloating and pay
that emergency fee, rather than pass it off.

Hugs and tears for you beloved,
DJ

From: Marty Wallace AKA Oscar firec3medic Dog behavior 3 March 1st 05 06:09 AM
dog urinates on everything pooteo Dog behavior 1 February 18th 05 09:57 AM
Fancy & the Yearly Slumber Party Tee Dog behavior 20 July 12th 04 12:23 PM
Fancy & the Yearly Slumber Party Tee Dog behavior 0 July 10th 04 04:15 AM
Fancy & the Yearly Slumber Party Tee Dog behavior 0 July 10th 04 04:15 AM