Yet another "What the heck is THIS dog?" post

Old March 28th 05, 09:39 PM
Sionnach

Default Yet another "What the heck is THIS dog?" post

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/amberd...bum?.dir=/7d36

Medium- sized; height is approximately 21", weight... not sure, but no
more than 45 lbs. Much more fine-boned than she appears in the pictures
(look at the sitting shot in the truck). Double coated.

Seems to have a fairly high prey drive -likes to run, high interest in
critters and critter holes; little or no dog-aggression (mild-mannered, but
did tell off a young male who tried to take a toy out of her mouth); no
human-aggression although she'll bark to protect car or home; talks/roos;
rear dew claws; dock *may* be natural.

From the Pacific NW....

Old March 28th 05, 10:00 PM
Robin Nuttall

Sionnach wrote:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/amberd...bum?.dir=/7d36

Medium- sized; height is approximately 21", weight... not sure, but no
more than 45 lbs. Much more fine-boned than she appears in the pictures
(look at the sitting shot in the truck). Double coated.

Seems to have a fairly high prey drive -likes to run, high interest in
critters and critter holes; little or no dog-aggression (mild-mannered, but
did tell off a young male who tried to take a toy out of her mouth); no
human-aggression although she'll bark to protect car or home; talks/roos;
rear dew claws; dock *may* be natural.

You know, her face looks labby. But she's got dews on her rear doesn't
she? I'd think if boxer cross the muzzle would be shorter and there
would be more white. I had a momentary thought of something with dutch
shepherd, but her head and body shape are all wrong for that. Some sort
of molossus breed in there I think, despite the finer bones.

Old March 28th 05, 10:08 PM
Sionnach

"Robin Nuttall" wrote:

You know, her face looks labby. But she's got dews on her rear doesn't
she?

Yep. With one of them grown around in a DOUBLE curl... looks like a snail.

I had a momentary thought of something with dutch
shepherd, but her head and body shape are all wrong for that.

She does, however, act in a herding-dog sort of way - it's most noticable
when she's playing with Rocsi, who instantly fell in love with her.
Which is also a possible indication of herding dog somewhere in the mix,
since Rocsi tends to react that way to BCs & Aussies... those are the only
larger breeds she really lights up for that way. (She also does it with
Pugs, Boston Terriers, and other JRTs.)

What's also odd is the dock on a mixed breed, unless it's natural...

Old March 28th 05, 11:30 PM
Tee

"Sionnach" wrote in message
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/amberd...bum?.dir=/7d36

Medium- sized; height is approximately 21", weight... not sure, but no
more than 45 lbs. Much more fine-boned than she appears in the pictures
(look at the sitting shot in the truck). Double coated.

Seems to have a fairly high prey drive -likes to run, high interest in
critters and critter holes; little or no dog-aggression (mild-mannered,
but
did tell off a young male who tried to take a toy out of her mouth); no
human-aggression although she'll bark to protect car or home; talks/roos;
rear dew claws; dock *may* be natural.

I see Lab and *at least* one other breed. The brindling and tail dock could
be any of the bully breeds. Although, the lack of stocky build is what
makes me think there's at least one other breed there or no bully at all.
The overall appearance of the dog looks Lab to me. I've seen alot of Boxer
x Lab and the dogs generally look like pointy-snouted Boxers, occasionally
without the deep chest, so I don't think Boxer is in the mix.

--
Tara

Old March 29th 05, 12:35 AM
Stafford A. Rau

"Sionnach" writes:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/amberd...bum?.dir=/7d36

Medium- sized; height is approximately 21", weight... not sure, but no
more than 45 lbs. Much more fine-boned than she appears in the pictures
(look at the sitting shot in the truck). Double coated.

Seems to have a fairly high prey drive -likes to run, high interest in
critters and critter holes; little or no dog-aggression (mild-mannered, but
did tell off a young male who tried to take a toy out of her mouth); no
human-aggression although she'll bark to protect car or home; talks/roos;
rear dew claws; dock *may* be natural.

From the Pacific NW....

Looks kinda catahoula-ish to me. I do occasionally seem catahoulas
here in the Portland, OR area.

--
Stafford A. Rau
raudog @ rauhaus.org
Old March 29th 05, 05:26 AM
Liisa Sarakontu

"Sionnach" wrote in
:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/amberd...bum?.dir=/7d36

Hmm, perhaps more than two breeds? Docked tail would hint to a purebred
dam, which comes from a breed where pups are routinely docked. Boxer would
be the closest, but this one doesn't look like a Boxer cross to me. Color
fits, bot not body and head shape. Natural bobtail then? Catahoulas do have
them (don't they, Amanda?) and I think that the shape and looks of this dog
fit to that breed. Catahoula would explain both the labradorish and
pitbullish look this dog has. So unless Catahoulas are very rare where this
dog is from, I vote for one Catahoula parent.

Liisa
Old March 29th 05, 01:41 PM
Shelly & The Boys

Updated Website:
http://www.geocities.com/shellybrosnan/index.html

"Liisa Sarakontu" wrote in message
. ..
"Sionnach" wrote in
:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/amberd...bum?.dir=/7d36

Hmm, perhaps more than two breeds? Docked tail would hint to a purebred
dam, which comes from a breed where pups are routinely docked. Boxer would
be the closest, but this one doesn't look like a Boxer cross to me. Color
fits, bot not body and head shape. Natural bobtail then? Catahoulas do

have
them (don't they, Amanda?) and I think that the shape and looks of this

dog
fit to that breed. Catahoula would explain both the labradorish and
pitbullish look this dog has. So unless Catahoulas are very rare where

this
dog is from, I vote for one Catahoula parent.

There are a couple around that I can think of in the PacNW
(Oregon/Washington),
and those are just ones I know of.
However, I will say that it's not totally unheard of for mixed-breeds to be
cropped out
here, especially if the dam is a purebred & the people hope that by cropping
the tail
it will help place/sell the puppies. (Trust me, I worked for a vet that did
cropping--it
was really common if they were Aussie/AussieX's, ACD/ACDX's and another
popular
breed around here with the hunters, GSP's)
While if she weren't brindle, I'd think maybe GSPx? Maybe she looks a bit
GSP/Boxer,
or even moreso GSP/Pit to me...I'm not sure what sort of color patterning
you'd get when mixing a brindle dog with a ticked/speckled (whatever GSP
coloration pattern is called?) dog?
Although, I have seen a good number of solid liver GSP's (my parents live
near a man
who raises them, and takes in other's dogs for retreiver training) around.
Especially since her tail appears to be left in that little bit longer dock
that is commonly
seen w/ GSP's.
Shelly & The Boys

Old March 29th 05, 02:12 PM
Liisa Sarakontu

"Shelly & The Boys" wrote in
:

While if she weren't brindle, I'd think maybe GSPx? ...I'm not sure what
sort of color patterning you'd get when mixing a brindle dog with a
ticked/speckled (whatever GSP coloration pattern is called?) dog?

Body shape and face fit rather nicely to German Pointer, but color doesn't.
GSPs are always dominant blacks, either black or brown and not any combo of
black and tan. This dog here is a brindle sable, and you can't get a sable
pup if one parent is homozygous for dominant black. All the pups would be
just black (or brown) with or without white spotting. So if this one has a
gundog parent, it has to be from a breed with either sable or tanpoint
pattern. Sable is nearly non-existing in this breed group, and tanpoint is
common only in setter/spaniel-type gundogs like English Setter and some
French setting spaniels. Hound parent would work better, as saddle and
tanpoint are so common hound colors, and sable exists in some breeds too.
Even brindle.

Liisa

(Please Shelly, don't put the signature line -- BEFORE your message, as it
turns it into a mess with no contents and a huge sig on my screen.)