!st Night with a puppy

Old May 31st 05, 04:10 AM
Chief Tecumseh

Default !st Night with a puppy

Anticipatiing our first night with a puppy I suspect it will be hard
for it missing its Mom and siblings. We plan to put it in our family
room and I thought I'd spend some time with it to avoid the crying but
my wife thinks I'm spoiling it and it will want company every night .
Am I being too soft headed ? Love to hear any comments on your 1st
night with your puppies.

Old May 31st 05, 05:06 AM

On Mon, 30 May 2005 23:10:17 -0400 Chief Tecumseh whittled these words:
Anticipatiing our first night with a puppy I suspect it will be hard
for it missing its Mom and siblings. We plan to put it in our family
room and I thought I'd spend some time with it to avoid the crying but
my wife thinks I'm spoiling it and it will want company every night .
Am I being too soft headed ? Love to hear any comments on your 1st
night with your puppies.

Providing what the puppy needs will not be "spoiling" it. It would be
instinctive for the pupy to be very frightened if left alone. A reasonable
set up is to have one crate in your bedroom next to the bed and a second
crate in whatever room you spend the most time in. The puppy goes in the
crate and you dangle a hand or soemthing in its vicinity so that it knows
it is not alone. Raising a puppy in this way does not create dependence
later. It creates confidence that it will be protected and kept safe and
thus more likely to be independent later. As the puppy matures it can
adjust to a bed on the floor. Very often at the dog approaches maturity
it will take up the habit of sleeping in a place of protection e.g. across
the front door, or across the top of the stairs. This would often be at
18 months to two years although mental maturity varies quite a bit,

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old May 31st 05, 06:05 AM
Rocky

Chief Tecumseh said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Anticipatiing our first night with a puppy I suspect it
will be hard for it missing its Mom and siblings. We plan
to put it in our family room and I thought I'd spend some
time with it to avoid the crying but my wife thinks I'm
spoiling it and it will want company every night . Am I
being too soft headed ?

Heh. Soft *hearted*. Actually, I'd go one further and keep the
puppy in your bedroom in her crate - this serves a number of
purposes, the most important of which is bonding time. As a
bonus, you'll be there to hear her fuss when she needs to pee
(guaranteed to be at 2am) and get a good start on her
housetraining.

Love to hear any comments on your
1st night with your puppies.

After making the mistake 16 years ago of confining my new puppy
to a different room at night (but only her first night), I've
never isolated a new-to-me dog again, nor will advise it.

BTW, you didn't respond to posts in your similar, earlier,
thread. You'll find that you get more fleshed-out responses
when you provide feedback to the advice you've requested.

Old May 31st 05, 11:34 AM
Janet B

wrote:

Anticipatiing our first night with a puppy I suspect it will be hard
for it missing its Mom and siblings. We plan to put it in our family
room and I thought I'd spend some time with it to avoid the crying but
my wife thinks I'm spoiling it and it will want company every night .
Am I being too soft headed ? Love to hear any comments on your 1st
night with your puppies.

Around here, puppies spend their first night in a crate next to my
bed. They "graduate" to the whole bedroom, where they sleep every
night for the rest of their lives.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old May 31st 05, 03:01 PM
Shelly & The Boys

"Rocky" wrote in message
Heh. Soft *hearted*. Actually, I'd go one further and keep the
puppy in your bedroom in her crate - this serves a number of
purposes, the most important of which is bonding time. As a
bonus, you'll be there to hear her fuss when she needs to pee
(guaranteed to be at 2am) and get a good start on her
housetraining.

Since Bodhi has taken over the spot between my bed & the wall (leftover
from where his puppy crate was kept), I will be trying to rearrange my
bedroom these days. And Coda sleeps on the bed most nights, or the
couch near the door other nights...
I've been trying to make a space for a new crate...

I don't keep crates in the house now, since the boys are grown,
responsible and get along wonderfully, but it's a must-have for baby
puppies!

Shelly (Making room for a potential New Addition this coming fall--just
waiting to hear that the breeding took!) & The Boys

Old May 31st 05, 03:10 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

Chief Tecumseh wrote in
:

Anticipatiing our first night with a puppy I suspect it will be hard
for it missing its Mom and siblings. We plan to put it in our family
room and I thought I'd spend some time with it to avoid the crying but
my wife thinks I'm spoiling it and it will want company every night .
Am I being too soft headed ? Love to hear any comments on your 1st
night with your puppies.

One thing that is handy to do (whether you put the crate in your room or
somewhere else) is to take a pop bottle (1L or 2L), fill it with hot water
and wrap it in one of your t-shirts, then put it in the corner of the cage.
Make sure that the t-shirt is thick enough that the outside is warm (not
hot). I know that it worked for Moogli when we had him as a puppy. We would
change it every time that I took him out for a walk.

I would have to second (or is it third or fourth...) the recommendations to
have the puppy in the bedroom with you. It will be able to smell you and
hear you, which will give it a great deal of comfort.

--
Marcel and Moogli
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/
Old June 1st 05, 12:40 AM
Chief Tecumseh

Thanks all for your responses. My wife still doesn't agree. So we
are going to take it to the Judge in the case that's the breeder.

On 31 May 2005 14:10:42 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin
wrote:

Chief Tecumseh wrote in
:

Old June 1st 05, 03:30 AM
Rocky

Chief Tecumseh said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Thanks all for your responses. My wife still doesn't
agree. So we are going to take it to the Judge in the case
that's the breeder.

You should consider that this maybe isn't the right time to get
a dog.