English Bulldog aggression?

Old October 8th 08, 03:48 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

Default English Bulldog aggression?

A friend's English Bulldog, in the past month, has started
snapping at people and other animals when touched/awoken when
asleep.

Spayed female, 14 months old. So far, she has nipped at a cat
when walked over, nipped at the primary owner when owner was
rolling over in bed, and nipped at a friend of the owner when
she touched her feet. All, apparently, when awoken from sleep.

I know this dog well, and have never seen any of this stuff. My
first recommendation is physical - making sure there's no health
reasons for such a reaction.

Meanwhile, I told the owner that there should be no interaction
at all with kids and elders and that the dog should be crated at
night in the bedroom instead of on the bed. And no touching
while the dog is asleep. Ie: management while she gets a handle
on her dog.

What do y'all think?

Old October 8th 08, 07:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska[_2_]

"Rocky" wrote in message
A friend's English Bulldog, in the past month, has started
snapping at people and other animals when touched/awoken when
asleep.

Spayed female, 14 months old. So far, she has nipped at a cat
when walked over, nipped at the primary owner when owner was
rolling over in bed, and nipped at a friend of the owner when
she touched her feet. All, apparently, when awoken from sleep.

I know this dog well, and have never seen any of this stuff. My
first recommendation is physical - making sure there's no health
reasons for such a reaction.

good idea - could be hearing issue.

We had some snippiness in Pirate after he got kicked off the bed not once
but TWICE when he first got here (I think he had never slept on a bed and
lay very close to the edge - didnt' know any better). He only does this on
the bed. We solved it via management and relocation. He was not permitted
on the bed for a long time .After that if he got huffy on the bed, he got
immediately deposted on the floor . No more huffy.

Old October 8th 08, 12:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
Rocky wrote:

What do y'all think?

I think the advice is perfect and hope they get to the source of this.
I will be curious what may be discovered. If the hearing and other
health issues are ok, etc, I would start dealing with the dog when
asleep by stomping the floor at a reasonable distance and calling the
dog to me. The dog would never be sleeping in the bed.

The breed as a whole has so many weird physical issues, and I've gotta
think that's what is at the heart of this.

--
Janet Boss
Old October 8th 08, 02:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Robin Nuttall

Rocky wrote:

Meanwhile, I told the owner that there should be no interaction
at all with kids and elders and that the dog should be crated at
night in the bedroom instead of on the bed. And no touching
while the dog is asleep. Ie: management while she gets a handle
on her dog.

I think you're giving good advice. Others have mentioned hearing, I'll
mention hip dysplasia specifically. Bulldogs have the highest rate of HD
of any breed, with over 73% of those tested having it. If she hurts,
then unexpected moves of her body may cause her to snap.
Old October 8th 08, 06:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

"Beth In Alaska" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

good idea - could be hearing issue.

My first consideration with potential health issues was touch
sensitivity because of pain or discomfort. Hearing is
definitely something worth mentioning to the owner.

Thanks Beth.

Old October 8th 08, 06:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

Janet Boss said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

The breed as a whole has so many weird physical issues, and
I've gotta think that's what is at the heart of this.

That's the tack I took with the owner. Though barring physical
issues, many dogs come into their true attitude at about 14
months.

Old October 8th 08, 06:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

Robin Nuttall said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Others have mentioned hearing, I'll
mention hip dysplasia specifically. Bulldogs have the
highest rate of HD of any breed, with over 73% of those
tested having it. If she hurts, then unexpected moves of
her body may cause her to snap.

That's really good advice in this situation and fits the
symptoms. It also fits with my immediate thoughts.

Old October 10th 08, 06:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Matt said in part...
Though barring physical issues, many dogs come into their true attitude
at about 14 months.
____________________________
I am aware that the breed is riddled with health problems and you are
wise to suggest to your friend to have her checked out. I don't know
how familiar you are with the breeding of the dog but I know when a
breed is popular (the fad) that health problems and behavioral problems
seem to run rampant in some dogs. I hope neither of the above is true
in the case of your friend's dog.

Be Free.....Judy

English Bulldog dogheaven Dog health 0 May 12th 08 07:03 PM
Wanted: English Bulldog [email protected] Dog behavior 2 August 3rd 07 02:04 PM
English Bulldog WhansaMi Dog breeds 4 November 22nd 05 10:07 PM
English Bulldog with signs of Waking Sudden Onset Aggression lambchop Dog behavior 0 February 2nd 05 03:17 PM
1 year old English Bulldog WendyJohn18 Dog breeds 2 January 6th 05 04:27 AM