I got exactly what I wanted...

Old September 13th 03, 04:03 AM
Emily Carroll

Default I got exactly what I wanted...

And not what I'd expected!

I've had Rusty for just over 2 weeks now. He's just over 9 weeks old (born
7/7). He's everything I wanted and not exactly as I expected.

His mother, Meadow (Karimar's Girl Next Door, CD, CGC) has the temperament &
personality of a Lab--at home. She's a real wuss when it comes to going out
in public. Hates big buildings. Her CD was a trial in more ways than one
because of it. I was nervous about getting one of her puppies--honestly, if
he'd turned out like her, I would've been tempted to place him rather than
keep him. His father, I'm told, is very similar in personality to
him--confident but not pushy.

He's everything I wanted and then some. I wanted a puppy with lots of
drive, energy, and balls. He grabbed Butterscotch (my personality-issue
collie) by the ear the other day. He's not afraid of the neighbor's minpin
("Gosh, that thing sure makes a lot of noise. You don't think it'd run like
the cat does, do you?"), and hasn't yet met a stranger. He's highly food
driven. He's getting the hang of "fetch" but needless, he will carry around
ANYTHING he fits in his mouth. Favorites are empty mulch bags. He thinks
cats are pretty cool, and caught on that all he has to do is look sideways
at Snot and she takes off.

I wanted an obedience/agility/conformation puppy. I think it's all there.
He looks GREAT. All the angles are where they belong. He'll already
self-stack if I provide bait. The only thing that I expected and didn't get
from a puppy with this personality is the mouth. He ONLY barks in play.
Other pups I've met with similar personalities had to announce every
movement, every thought, and everything they saw. He only barks when he's
frustrated (when he wanted downstairs but was afraid; when he's got the cat
cornered on top of something where he can't reach, when Mom doesn't get the
food out fast enough). He stopped crying after being left alone one
time--no problems anymore with him howling for hours.

I can't believe how lucky I've gotten. He is 10x better than I ever
expected. Having all this time to learn has made the process of integrating
him into my household SO much easier. Even though he's not catching on to
the not-pooping-in-his-crate idea, he's not very willing to "go" on the
carpet or floor anymore. Given an opportunity, he'll dash to the kitchen
rather than "go" on the carpet. Heck, he even sleeps all night, provided he
hasn't messed his cage.

So, anyways, I just wanted to express how happy I was with this puppy and
didn't have anyone else that I could tell about it that would understand
just how cool it is to have the dog of your dreams

--
Emily Carroll
http://www.geocities.com/diamonds_in...yes/index.html

---

Old September 13th 03, 04:32 AM
Rocky

Emily Carroll said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I can't believe how lucky I've gotten.

It's funny how this happens whether we plan or when it's thrust
upon us.

Congratulations on the new pup, Emily!

Old September 13th 03, 04:43 AM
Tara O.

"Emily Carroll" wrote in message

The only thing that I expected and didn't get
from a puppy with this personality is the mouth. He ONLY barks in play.
Other pups I've met with similar personalities had to announce every
movement, every thought, and everything they saw. He only barks when he's
frustrated (when he wanted downstairs but was afraid; when he's got the

cat
cornered on top of something where he can't reach, when Mom doesn't get

the
food out fast enough).

Emily, if you know what's good for you, cancel this post right now. It
doesn't matter that there are follow-ups. You have jinxed yourself to the
max by putting the no-barking thing in writing! He sounds utterly adorable
by the way. I just don't think there's enough wood for you to knock on now
that you've said what you've said lol.

--
Tara

Old September 13th 03, 07:54 AM
Abby Pennington

"Emily Carroll" wrote in
:

So, anyways, I just wanted to express how happy I was with this puppy
and didn't have anyone else that I could tell about it that would
understand just how cool it is to have the dog of your dreams

I'm happy for you! I, too, got the puppy of my dreams earlier this
year..she just needs to get bigger! g And her bite needs to come
together.

--
-Abby

Pems, Aussie, and a Pug

****Remove shoes to reply****

great dane wanted *Jersy * Dog rescue 0 December 7th 03 03:46 PM
Wanted: Friendly, large Irish Wolfhound cross Dolores Jones Dog rescue 15 August 28th 03 10:03 PM
Opinions wanted... loose leash Tricia9999 Dog behavior 1 August 2nd 03 03:04 AM
Wanted: Icelandic dog ChaosCat Dog breeds 0 July 12th 03 01:06 AM