Dog with Allergies

Old August 1st 03, 02:26 AM
Supergoof

Default Dog with Allergies

"Mary McMullen" wrote ...
We have a chocolate lab that has major allergies. We have had him
allergy tested and did serveral series of allergy shots. They are not
working well. We have found that the steroid shots work the best. We
wait as long as possible between shots but he keeps having major
reoccurance of yeast infections in his ears. Does anyone have any
treatment options that we could try.

Have you tried giving him acidophilus yoghurt for the yeast infections?

If you have any ideas for a dog that seems to be allergic to all
grasses, weeds, and life in general we would appreciate it. He is
part of the family and we hate seeing him so miserable.

I don't have any ideas except trying to limit his contact with the
allergenic plants - maybe exercise on paved areas or by swimming?

Can you give dogs antihistamines on a regular basis?

Rachel
(New Zealand)

Old August 1st 03, 05:49 AM
Jo Wolf

I have had one of my dogs on long-term antihistamines in the past. If
there are certain times in the year (like spring-summer) when the yeast
infections are worse, discuss this possibility with your vet.

My dog was allergic to St Augustine grass in a location where this was
THE type of grass in almost all lawns.... We used long-acting (12hour)
Clor-trimeton tablets from just as green-up began to just as the active
growth stopped at the end of summer.... so he was off the drug for the
fall to early spring in that city. Because you have a fairly large
dog, you may need one or two tablets per dose, when one tablet would do
for an adult human.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old August 1st 03, 05:49 AM
Jo Wolf

I have had one of my dogs on long-term antihistamines in the past. If
there are certain times in the year (like spring-summer) when the yeast
infections are worse, discuss this possibility with your vet.

My dog was allergic to St Augustine grass in a location where this was
THE type of grass in almost all lawns.... We used long-acting (12hour)
Clor-trimeton tablets from just as green-up began to just as the active
growth stopped at the end of summer.... so he was off the drug for the
fall to early spring in that city. Because you have a fairly large
dog, you may need one or two tablets per dose, when one tablet would do
for an adult human.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Rough Skin and Hair Loss on Chocolate Lab LabattB Dog breeds 5 November 24th 03 01:33 AM
Now the allergies.. CaptRon Dog breeds 8 July 25th 03 09:50 PM
Owner allergies Reg Dog breeds 2 July 7th 03 02:40 AM