Strange Red Reflection in dog's eye

Old December 9th 03, 04:17 PM
Cathy

Default Strange Red Reflection in dog's eye

I have a foster dog, Rocky, whose eyes look normal when you look at
them in full light, however, when he is in dim lighting, his right eye
has a reddish tinge in the reflection. Has anyone ever seen anything
like this?

Cathy
Old December 9th 03, 04:32 PM
Cate

"Cathy" wrote in message
m...
I have a foster dog, Rocky, whose eyes look normal when you look at
them in full light, however, when he is in dim lighting, his right eye
has a reddish tinge in the reflection. Has anyone ever seen anything
like this?

Red, no. Greenish/blue, yes. My dog has malformed retinas and is nearly
blind. His eyes give off a greenish-blue reflection, and it's worse in dim
light.

I recommend you visit the vet for an eye exam. He or she may or may not
refer you to an opthalmologist.

Cate

Old December 10th 03, 01:32 AM
dianne marie schoenberg

diddy wrote:
(Cathy) wrote:

I have a foster dog, Rocky, whose eyes look normal when you look at
them in full light, however, when he is in dim lighting, his right eye
has a reddish tinge in the reflection. Has anyone ever seen anything
like this?

I asked my vet about this once. His explaination was there is a special
reflective layer in the back of many animals eyes called the tapetum
which enhances nocturnal vision.

Yep. And my own adopted girl had almost no tapetum in her
right eye. I'd taken her to the opthalmologist because I'd
noticed that she didn't see very well in low-light conditions,
He thought her asymmetry was quite fascinating :-). I asked
if the condition might've been hereditary, and he said there'd
be no way to tell without breeding her; since of course she
was lacking a uterus at that point that was out of the question.
But at any rate he assured me that the condition was nothing
to worry about.

Anyway, once I knew what was going on with her eyes, I could
quite clearly see in low light that they looked different;
one looked red, the other green. In normal lighting they
looked identical. So it's quite possible that Rocky has
something similar going on.

Dianne

Old December 10th 03, 04:14 PM
Cathy

(dianne marie schoenberg) wrote in message ...
diddy wrote:
(Cathy) wrote:

[...]

I wonder if it could have been caused by some trauma? I think it
actually bothers Rocky because I have noticed that he rubs his face
against the rug all the time and I always thought it was because he
was itchy but now I noticed that it is always the right side that he
rubs. Plus, he's not really "itchy" anywhere else so now I think he's
rubbing his eye...not his face.

In any case, it looks like my man Rocky will be going to the vet to
check it out! Thanks for your input!

Cathy

Old December 10th 03, 06:40 PM
dianne marie schoenberg

Cathy wrote:
I wonder if it could have been caused by some trauma?

My opthalmologist didn't seem to think so, but since I
got Chloe at 1.5 years old and have no idea what happened
to her before that...

I think it actually bothers Rocky because I have noticed that
he rubs his face against the rug all the time and I always
thought it was because he was itchy but now I noticed that
it is always the right side that he rubs.

Coincidentally Chloe was a big face-rubber too, but she did
it bilaterally. In her case I think it just felt good!

In any case, it looks like my man Rocky will be going to
the vet to check it out! Thanks for your input!

Let us know what s/he says about it. I'm curious now.

Dianne

Animal Control & Big Dogs [email protected] Dog health 4 November 29th 03 01:47 AM
GSP health problem? Sasha Dog health 44 November 23rd 03 09:47 PM
Some people need educating!! CPit_Dogs Dog breeds 12 November 13th 03 05:47 AM
I just talked to Maxxie Maxie P. Diddly Dog health 21 October 20th 03 03:44 AM