Microchipping your pets

Old December 6th 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Microchipping your pets

Rocky wrote in
:

Rocky and Friday both have Avid
chips, too; Rocky for 8.5 years (chipped before 7 weeks old),
Friday for at least 5 years

That's not possible. Friday can't be a day over 1.5 years old.

Time isn't moving THAT fast, is it? Holy crap.

Tara
Old December 6th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Tara said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

That's not possible. Friday can't be a day over 1.5 years old.

Almost six years old is wonderful, though I stand by four being
the perfect age.

Time isn't moving THAT fast, is it? Holy crap.

Yes it is. Time is grabbing me within its vortex, too, and that
sux.

Old December 6th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

If you have any questions about cancer and microchps read here.
http://robprince.net/mrsa-pets/forum...&forumID=17656

MRSA infection in pets and animals forum

number of replies (7) - Page 1 of 1
MICROCHIPPING FOUND TO BE CAUSING CANCER
Started by Janice IP Address 195.93.21.1 Posted: September 6, 2006 at
18:48

Tumors Caused by Pet Microchip ID's July 13, 2006 10:08 AM

Tumors in Long-Term Rat Studies Associated with Microchip Animal
Identification Devices.

Elcock LE, Stuart BP, Wahle BS, Hoss HE, Crabb K, Millard DM, Mueller
RE, Hastings TF, Lake SG.

Bayer Corporation, Toxicology Department, Stilwell, Kansas 66085, USA.

Tumors surrounding implanted microchip animal identification devices
were noted in two separate chronic toxicity/oncogenicity studies using F344
rats. The tumors occurred at a low incidence rate (approximately 1 percent),
but did result in the early sacrifice of most affected animals, due to tumor
size and occasional metastases. No sex-related trends were noted. All tumors
occurred during the second year of the studies, were located in the
subcutaneous dorsal thoracic area (the site of microchip implantation) and
contained embedded microchip devices. All were mesenchymal in origin and
consisted of the following types, listed in order of frequency: malignant
schwannoma, fibrosarcoma, anaplastic sarcoma, and histiocytic sarcoma. The
following diagnostic techniques were employed: light microscopy, scanning
electron microscopy, and immunohistochemistry. The mechanism of
carcinogenicity appeared to be that of foreign-body induced tumorigenesis.

PMID: 11256750 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

17656

MICROCHIPPING FOUND TO BE CAUSING CANCER
Reply #1 by DB IP Address 217.44.194.103 Posted: September 7, 2006 at
13:59

Having seen thousands of chipped animals and having never seen a
tumour associated with one, one wonders how useful these data are.

Rats are very prone to skin tumours some of which can be very large
and would tend to encompass any chip sitting beneath the skin whether or not
it had anything to do with its causation. It would be interesting to know
the prevalence of skin tumours in a control group, but there doesn't seem to
be one.

Warrants more investigation.

17667

MICROCHIPPING FOUND TO BE CAUSING CANCER
Reply #2 by DB IP Address 217.44.194.103 Posted: September 7, 2006 at
14:02

Further to the above. The thread title would be better to be
"MICROCHIPS ASSOCIATED WITH CANCER" because that is what the study actually
showed.

This shows the easy danger of overstating the actual conclusions that
can be drawn from any study.

17668

MICROCHIPPING FOUND TO BE CAUSING CANCER
Reply #3 by Julie2 IP Address 62.253.128.15 Posted: September 10,
2006 at 11:28

I opted for a tattoo - have heard of too many times the dogs are not
even scanned when they're picked up by shelters ! There's no excuse for not
seeing a tattoo !

Anything foreign in the body is going to cause problems in my view as
it is alien and so the animals immune system fights it.

If they can't use the rats studies to say what may happen in dogs then
they shouldn't use rats - common sense dictates they don't even need to do
the tests anyway as everyone knows the above statement to be how the body
reacts to alien matter.

17763

MICROCHIPPING FOUND TO BE CAUSING CANCER
Reply #4 by ex vet IP Address 62.253.96.47 Posted: September 10, 2006
at 21:44

I opted for a tattoo - have heard of too many times the dogs are not
even scanned when they're picked up by shelters ! There's no excuse for not
seeing a tattoo !

Anything foreign in the body is going to cause problems in my view as
it is alien and so the animals immune system fights it.

Tattooing involves the use of ink intradermally, Foreign body - may
cause reaction??? immune system will fight it??

I was in practice for most of 25 years, and I have never seen a
reaction of any sort to an implanted microchip, or any assocaited tumours.

17774

MICROCHIPPING FOUND TO BE CAUSING CANCER
Reply #5 by Julie-2 IP Address 62.253.128.15 Posted: September 10,
2006 at 23:03

Tattooing involves the use of ink intradermally, Foreign body - may
cause reaction??? immune system will fight it??

Yes, but it is only ink in fat cells, and these days you can get

natural inks - lesser of two evils I'm afraid.

17775

MICROCHIPPING FOUND TO BE CAUSING CANCER
Reply #6 by Ex vet IP Address 82.27.227.239 Posted: September 11,
2006 at 07:29

Julie-2, how do you selectively inject ink into fat cells and avoid
all the other cells and extracellular space of the dermis and epidermis?.
Natural inks are still are a foreign material to the body.

Does it hurt the animal to carry out tattooing?

I can't see it is the "lesser of two evils", as I say 25 years and
I've not seen, heard or read in the literature any cases of reactions to
microchips in cats and dogs. I have inserted ID chips into birds of prey
too, again no reactions.

17777

MICROCHIPPING FOUND TO BE CAUSING CANCER
Reply #7 by noddy IP Address 81.149.159.160 Posted: September 11,
2006 at 15:49

'you can get natural inks - lesser of two evils I'm afraid.'
Might be termed natural, but it is still foreign to the physiology of
the species to which it is inserted.

"pldoolittle" wrote in message
ups.com...
A few years back, our webstore (
http://www.OdorDestroyer.com) ran an
atricle on the benfits of microchipping. Recently, an announcement by
the American Microchip Advisory Council for Animals (AMACA) that it has
plans to build a national database of all the pet microchips in the USA
has revived this topic.

. We would be very appreciative if the readers of this group have any
commentsthey would like to share on the subject of microchipping. We
are particularly interested if you know have any personal experiences
with tracking lost pet.

Here's the link:
http://www.odordestroyer.com/newsblo...chip-my-pet-4/

Thank you,
Philip

P.S. If you wish to link to our directory, please do so.

Old December 7th 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

LOL I meant write at the top of that post that that was the only site I
found and it's about rats, not dogs. Rats get cancer from the wrong kind of
diet. I do not know why they bother to experiment on rats, they are inbred
to produce cancer. No genetic diversity and so they are just recycling the
same defects over and over again. That in itself makes they sensitive to
everything, because they are bred to be.

Shadow Walker

"diddy" wrote in message

Now you've produced the hysterical report, how about the other side?

Yes, but for the sake of objectivity one should also cite at least another
work, about fibrosarcomas developping at (presumed) injection sites *not
dependent* on microchipping... that is to say that each and every
injection
performed on a pet *may* translate in the possibility of the pet
developping a tumor at the injection site...

1: J Vet Med A Physiol Pathol Clin Med. 2003 Aug;50(6):286-91. Links

Fibrosarcomas at presumed sites of injection in dogs: characteristics and
comparison with non-vaccination site fibrosarcomas and feline
post-vaccinal
fibrosarcomas. a.. Vascellari M, b.. Melchiotti E, c.. Bozza MA, d..
Mutinelli F. Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale delle Venezie,
Histopathology Department, Viale dell'Universita 10, 35020 Legnaro (PD),
Italy.

Fifteen fibrosarcomas, surgically excised from presumed sites of injection
in dogs, and 10 canine fibrosarcomas excised from sites not used for
injection were histologically and immunohistochemically compared with 20
feline post-vaccinal fibrosarcomas. Canine fibrosarcomas from presumed
injection sites were of grade I (3), of grade II (4) and grade III (8).
Two
fibrosarcomas from non-injection sites were of grade I, four of grade II
and four of grade III. Feline samples were classified as grade I (2),
grade
II (4) and grade III (14). All fibrosarcomas from presumed injection sites
of both species showed lymphocytic inflammatory infiltration located at
the
tumour periphery, while two canine fibrosarcomas from non-injection sites
showed perivascular inflammatory infiltration within the neoplasm. All
samples were immunohistochemically examined for vimentin, smooth muscle
actin, muscle specific actin and desmin expression. All tumours were
positive for vimentin. Ten canine fibrosarcomas from presumed injection
sites and all feline samples contained cells consistent with a
myofibroblastic immunophenotype. Aluminium deposits were detected in eight
canine fibrosarcomas from presumed injection sites and 11 feline post-
vaccinal fibrosarcomas by the aurintricarboxylic acid method. The present
study identifies distinct similarities between canine fibrosarcomas from
presumed injection sites and feline post-vaccinal fibrosarcomas,
suggesting
the possibility of the development of post-injection sarcomas not only in
cats, but also in dogs.

Old December 7th 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

LOL I meant to write at the top of that post that that was the only site I
found and it's about rats, not dogs. Rats get cancer from the wrong kind of
diet. I do not know why they bother to experiment on rats, they are inbred
to produce cancer. No genetic diversity and so they are just recycling the
same defects over and over again. That in itself makes them sensitive to
everything, because they are bred to be.

I have two dogs with chips and one has two chips. I will tell you this, if
there is a chance of cancer it's very small. Cancer in dogs is like in
people they are eather developing it from something really toxic or they are
geneticaly programed for it. I'm not going to stop taking care of my pet and
getting a chip is taking care of my pets to me. I am taking a precationary
procedure for the possible loss of my pets collar. The chances of getting
cancer are lower than the chances of your dog getting out and lost thats not
even debatable its a mathmatical probability. Tattoos are great before they
fade from the stomach and ears can be torn or cut off weather through
malicious intent, dog fight, accident or surgical removal.

Shadow Walker

If you have any questions about cancer and microchips' read here.