Moving from UK to CA?

Old July 2nd 03, 06:37 PM
207Lonsdale

Default Moving from UK to CA?

Hi Everyone, I have only just found this group and hope that you might
be able to advise me.

I live in the UK (climate cool & wet for best part of the year!) and
have a 10 year old Cocker Spaniel, Rosie. I am due to move to the
Inland Empire, California quite soon and am worried about the heat.
From what I understand it is hot & humid there nearly all year round!

I had thought that the weather would not be a problem as I will be
living very near to Lake Perris and Rosie loves swimming ..... alas,
Lake Perris will not allow dogs to swim! There is no where else local
to Perris where I could take Rosie swimming (I don't drive), and I now
know that there is no where for her to exercise off leash ....
strange, I thought American's were crazy about their pets!?!

Obviously, I am very worried about how Rosie will tolerate the change
of climate, especially given her advancing years, although she is
still very fit with no known health problems. I don't want her to end
up a prisoner of the house 24/7 with the air con on full blast!!

If anyone has any advice it would be very much appreciated.

Julie.
Old July 2nd 03, 11:59 PM
Michelle

(207Lonsdale) wrote in message om...
Hi Everyone, I have only just found this group and hope that you might
be able to advise me.

I live in the UK (climate cool & wet for best part of the year!) and
have a 10 year old Cocker Spaniel, Rosie. I am due to move to the
Inland Empire, California quite soon and am worried about the heat.
From what I understand it is hot & humid there nearly all year round!

I had thought that the weather would not be a problem as I will be
living very near to Lake Perris and Rosie loves swimming ..... alas,
Lake Perris will not allow dogs to swim! There is no where else local
to Perris where I could take Rosie swimming (I don't drive), and I now
know that there is no where for her to exercise off leash ....
strange, I thought American's were crazy about their pets!?!

You would be surprised what a dog can handle,I have a 7 yr. old
pound puppy and moved from the Oregon coast (very humid, wet and at
sea level) to New Mexico (hot, no humidity, 7,000ft.) and the dog has
handled it better than her humans. The fact that you have a water dog
and a lake that does not allow swimming is sad but there are always
kiddie pools, if you have a yard.
My dog went from close to an almost dog park sized yard full of grass
and trees to a very small yard of dust and no dog parks around but we
do an on leash walk in the a.m, she is black and doesn't do well in
the desert heat in afternoon, and extra hikes for off-leash adventure.

Just out of curiosity do you have to quarantine her at all?

Best of luck- Michelle