Swollen Mammory Gland - Mastitis After Psuedopregnancy

Old May 20th 12, 11:51 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Swollen Mammory Gland - Mastitis After Psuedopregnancy

My 7 year old Yorkshire Terrier bitch developed a swelling in her mammary
around 1 month ago.
We took her to the vet around 3 weeks ago and it was diagnosed as mastitis.
At the time we were also told that she must have experienced a
psuedopregnancy.

To date she has been prescribed 2x 7 day courses of anti-biotics along with
anti-inflammatory drugs. The swelling has not decreased in this time but pus
and blood is no longer being expressed on aspiration.

On our most recent visit to the vets bloods were taken but there were no
abnormalities in the haematology when results returned.

The vet advised that it would be best to push ahead and spay immediately,
within the next week. He also suggested that dental work be carried out at
the same time.

We are concerned at the risk of cross contamination with doing both
procedures at the same. Added to the fact that our dog is still producing
milk. Are we right to be worried?
Any help or advice would be very much appreciated on how we are best to move
forward.

Many Thanks,

CT

Old May 21st 12, 06:33 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Your vet is probably trying to avoid two episodes of anesthesia, which
is tough on dogs and humans. Spaying and dental work is often done at
the same time... with 7-10 days of antibiotics before or a few days of
antibiotics after. If you are uncomfortable, consult a secnd vet for an
opinion. That's fine and commonly done. I have used vets who won't do
a dental during neuter-spay and vets who do both routinely.... But with
the history you give, the spay needs to be done before her next heat,
and now is a good time, because it's probable she'll hae another
pseudo-pregnancy.

Unless she's a very highly ranked show champion, the gene pool won't
miss hers being passed on to puppies.... Yorkies are a very high numbers
breed, and few of them meet the standards of structure, function
temperament and personality for an ideal dog of the breed, although many
to most of them are Great pets, and also participate very successfully
in obedience and rally trials, freestyle obedience (dancing with the dog
to music, choreographed!), small breed agility, and therapy dog
volunteer work. As well as being Too Durn Cute. And very good watch
dogs. (I also had a pair of them in an obedience class that probably
weighed just short of a Total of 6 lbs together, that killed a humongous
river rat...., and a co-worker's pair that hit 9 lbs each killed an
adult oppossum in the time it took the owner to get downstairs and
outside. They are very capable of doing some "terrier work" of vermin
control.)

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Old July 19th 12, 10:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by umtali View Post
[...]

Well, I'm not sure but experience by another friend can help you. Some
bug have stung that spot otherwise no internal complex reason can be
described for this case.
Try to make avoid from water and use some anti bacterial tincture.

Infected Anal Gland Suzie-Q Dog health 1 March 16th 05 10:13 PM
12 year old GSD with mammory tumor House\O\Dogs Dog health 22 August 11th 03 07:04 PM
12 year old GSD with mammory tumor House\O\Dogs Dog breeds 10 August 11th 03 05:42 PM
12 year old GSD with mammory tumor House\O\Dogs Dog behavior 10 August 11th 03 05:42 PM
12 year old GSD with mammory tumor House\O\Dogs Dog health 0 July 30th 03 12:23 PM