"Nylabones"

Old August 11th 08, 01:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
A. Brain

Default "Nylabones"

Does anyone here recommend them? My mom's new
dog--a wonderful Tibetan Terrier who is just under a
year old--had a bad experience with one. She chewed
it up and it disintegrated, and it looks like she swallowed
the stuff, then spent the night vomiting all over the place.

The vet in a phone consultation said she will probably
be all right, but I told my mom that I don't like anything
that's not "natural".

My neighbor's new Bulldog is also about the same
age and she seems to chew these things up also,
but so far no distress.

--
A. Brain

Remove NOSPAM for email.

Old August 11th 08, 02:45 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sue and Atty[_2_]

"A. Brain" wrote in message
Does anyone here recommend them?

I suppose it's like everything - it depends on the dog. Atty (my lab) has
had her same nylabones for 7 years. She even chews on a few of Jadee's,
which are now 10 years old. Some are a little smaller than they were, but
not small enough to get rid of. She chews on them in spurts.

Sue and Atty

Old August 11th 08, 03:47 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
S.Smith

"A. Brain" wrote in message
Does anyone here recommend them? My mom's new
dog--a wonderful Tibetan Terrier who is just under a
year old--had a bad experience with one. She chewed
it up and it disintegrated, and it looks like she swallowed
the stuff, then spent the night vomiting all over the place.

The vet in a phone consultation said she will probably
be all right, but I told my mom that I don't like anything
that's not "natural".

My neighbor's new Bulldog is also about the same
age and she seems to chew these things up also,
but so far no distress.

--
A. Brain

Remove NOSPAM for email.

I have heard of Nylabones for years. I recently gave one to my 8 mo. old
Mini Schnauzer. His jaws are so strong. He has worked on one end pretty
good and I am keeping an eye on it. I bought him the Wolf size. He seems
to really love it and walks around the house with it in his mouth looking
like Groucho with a cigar. Perhaps the bone that got chewed up was too
small for the dog. My dog has ruined all his puppy hard chews..they became
unsafe and I had to toss them. I bought the Nylabone because I was looking
for something very hard to destroy.
S.Smith

Old August 11th 08, 12:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss

In article ,
"A. Brain" wrote:

The vet in a phone consultation said she will probably
be all right, but I told my mom that I don't like anything
that's not "natural".

Any toy needs to be inspected regularly. Once it gets down to a small
size (they kind of whittle it away), it need to be chucked before they
can swallow those pieces. The TYPE of Nylabone was not specified here.
There are edible (as in fairly quickly) versions, hard versions, softer
versions, etc. My dogs only get the hardest versions and love them,
grinding them down over time.

--
Janet Boss
Old August 11th 08, 01:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sue and Atty[_2_]

"Janet Boss" wrote in message
"A. Brain" wrote:

The vet in a phone consultation said she will probably
be all right, but I told my mom that I don't like anything
that's not "natural".

Any toy needs to be inspected regularly. Once it gets down to a small
size (they kind of whittle it away), it need to be chucked before they
can swallow those pieces. The TYPE of Nylabone was not specified here.
There are edible (as in fairly quickly) versions, hard versions, softer
versions, etc. My dogs only get the hardest versions and love them,
grinding them down over time.

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

Good catch, Janet. I wasn't even thinking of the varieties. FWIW, Atty's
are the hardest versions, too.

And to the OP, remember, "natural" doesn't necessarily = good. Bones
splinter all the time.

Sue and Atty

Old August 11th 08, 01:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss

In article ,
"Sue and Atty" wrote:

Good catch, Janet. I wasn't even thinking of the varieties. FWIW, Atty's
are the hardest versions, too.

Of the "non edible" varieties, my dogs would destroy many of them. We
do "durable" and "big" only!

http://www.nylabone.com/products/non-edible/

--
Janet Boss
Old August 11th 08, 01:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sue and Atty[_2_]

"Janet Boss" wrote in message
"Sue and Atty" wrote:

Good catch, Janet. I wasn't even thinking of the varieties. FWIW,
Atty's
are the hardest versions, too.

Of the "non edible" varieties, my dogs would destroy many of them. We
do "durable" and "big" only!

http://www.nylabone.com/products/non-edible/

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

Same here. Her Dino bone has fared the best. The turkey leg, the worst.
The knot, somewhere in the middle.

She had a "flexible" when she was a puppy. Even then, it didn't last long.

Sue and Atty

Old August 11th 08, 01:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss

In article ,
"Sue and Atty" wrote:

Same here. Her Dino bone has fared the best. The turkey leg, the worst.
The knot, somewhere in the middle.

The Galileo has probably been the hardiest, although little miss jaws
has whittled it down a LOT! The knot lasts well, and we have several
that are sort of like the beef bone, but they're not. Hmmm - I'm not
finding them. They look like the picture in the far left of the
"flexible" category, but they are a "durable".

They ALL hurt my bare feet when I kick them!

--
Janet Boss
Old August 11th 08, 02:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sue and Atty[_2_]

"Janet Boss" wrote in message

They ALL hurt my bare feet when I kick them!

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

How true - and they hurt bare summer legs when little Miss Atty decides she
wants to lay on my lap and chew one. Solution - I hold it for her and she
has her own lolipop.

Sue and Atty

Old August 11th 08, 02:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss

In article ,
"Sue and Atty" wrote:

How true - and they hurt bare summer legs when little Miss Atty decides she
wants to lay on my lap and chew one. Solution - I hold it for her and she
has her own lolipop.

How nice to know I am not alone!

--
Janet Boss