Myths and truth

Old November 20th 08, 10:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Myths and truth

In article ,
chardonnay9 wrote:
I'm the only one *not* looking for a war. I'm having a conversation with
Dale.

If you think that's what's going on you don't know much
about Dale.

Old November 20th 08, 10:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
Shelly wrote:
Since you do not take your dogs to the vet, you don't know whether or
not they're healthy.

That cannot be overstated.

Old November 20th 08, 11:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss

Winey girl wrote:

It's simple enough to look at the ingredients of any kibble and see the
massive amount of additives they feel need to be added because of what
they had done to the base kibble.

Where are the massive amounts of additives?

Click on an ingredient to learn more.

Lamb Meal

Lamb meal is the dry rendered (cooked down) product from lamb tissues,
exclusive of any added blood, hair, hoof, hide trimmings, manure,
stomach and rumen contents except in such amounts as may occur
unavoidably in good processing practices.

Lamb meal is simply lamb meat with the moisture removed, making it
suitable for use in dry food. Before you buy a product containing lamb
meal, ask the manufacturer about the origin of the lamb meal they use.

Brown Rice

The whole rice kernel containing the nutrient-rich bran with only the
rice hull removed.

Rice bran is rich in numerous nutrients like B-vitamins, magnesium, and
fatty acids.
Rice

Rice, unless listed as brown rice, is the de-hulled rice kernel, without
the bran -- known as white rice.

Rice, in its whole form, is a high quality source of carbohydrates,
protein and fiber. This is in contrast to fractionated grain ingredients
used by some manufacturers such as rice polishings, rice bran, or
brewers rice which have been leeched of much of their nutrient value.

Sunflower Oil

Sunflower oil is obtained by extracting oil from sunflower seeds.

Sunflower oil has a high concentration of linoleic acid (73%), which is
important for good skin and coat health.

Natural Flavors

Natural flavors are minimally processed flavor ingredients that do not
contain synthetic or artificial components.

Potassium Chloride

A chemical compound, KCl, a colorless or white, cubic, crystalline
compound that closely resembles common salt (sodium chloride). It is
soluble in water, alcohol, and alkalies.

Potassium plays various roles in metabolism and body functions. It
assists in the regulation of the acid-base balance and water balance in
the blood and the body tissue. It assists in protein synthesis from
amino acids and in carbohydrate metabolism.

Vitamins/Minerals

Vitamins are organic compounds that function as parts of enzyme systems
essential for the transmission of energy and the regulation of
metabolisms of the body. Minerals are inorganic substances essential for
a host of vital processes within the body.

Rosemary Extract

--
Janet Boss
Old November 20th 08, 11:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
chardonnay9

Shelly wrote:
"chardonnay9" wrote in message
m...

Feeding raw makes your dog healthier than any other diet

Since you do not take your dogs to the vet, you don't know whether or
not they're healthy.

Sorry, I'm not as stupid as you are evidently. I don't need a vet to
tell me they are healthy. Indeed, most vets cause pets a great deal of
pain and suffering and all in the name of money. A really good vet is
extremely hard to find.
Old November 20th 08, 11:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
chardonnay9 wrote:
Sorry, I'm not as stupid as you are evidently. I don't need a vet to
tell me they are healthy.

Yeah, actually, you do. You really don't have much idea of
organ or endocrine function and, incidentally, you're not
going to deal with health problems until they're so advanced
that they're causing sufficiently drastic symptoms that
they're noticeable to an uneducated layperson.

And, incidentally, it's evident from your posts that your
dog is unfit. Most dogs are so it's unremarkable, but
you'll find that many of the people you're arguing with have
dogs that are fit and which have the nutritional needs of
fit, athletic dogs. Because of that we know something about
nutrition and about the nexus of food and fitness and
performance.

Old November 21st 08, 12:19 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

Indeed, most vets cause pets a great deal of pain and suffering and all in
the name of money.

And there's the rub, folks.

Someone who thinks that running an animal hospital should be a charity.
Pardon me while I leave my mansion and get in one of my many cars to shop
for jewels. We're sooooo rich. Boy, that 80 hour work week is a breeze and
so profitable.

bleh

Old November 21st 08, 02:05 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Phyrie

"Rocky" wrote in message
Janet Boss said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

The RV is not negotiable currently, because it is LAW.

It took 10 years for the happenstance, but I recently found out
that my area is one of the few in North America where rabies
vaccine is not required.

You made me wonder if it was required here, Matt. I did vaccinate Kiba last
year for rabies. I just called our vet to ask and it's not, although there
is rabies in the area. Go figure. Kiba is due for his, so we're seeing the
vet next week.

Phyrie

Old November 21st 08, 03:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky[_2_]

elegy said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

the most common food allergens for dogs are beef followed
by dairy. carbs don't enter the picture until third place
with wheat.

Yet plenty of dogs fit that third space slot. Gaubster used to
rant on those who claimed dogs with corn allergies, me and Good
Ol' Murphy included.

Old November 21st 08, 06:31 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Dale Atkin

"chardonnay9" wrote in message
m...
Dale Atkin wrote:
The best raw diet would involve grass fed organic meat, preferably whole
prey. I'm settling for meat that is not organic, mostly mark downs from
the local markets, some bought from a local co-op that is very high
quality.

Interesting. Can you tell me what you mean by 'organic'? I've been
reading a number of 'organic' standards lately. I'm curious what you mean
when you say 'organic'.

I'd like the meat to be free of antibiotics, medications, hormones and be
grass fed.

Can you point me to an acceptable 'certified organic standard' that
incorporates all of these? (I assume by 'free of x,y,z' you mean that they
have never been given x,y,z rather than just an increased withdrawal
period). Most organic standards that I've read specifically state that (a)
medication should not be withheld to maintain organic certification (b)
allow for alternate feeding sources in cases where 'organic' feed is
unavailable (c) allow for routine vaccination protocol.

We feel that feeding raw is the species appropriate way to feed, and use
natural methods for optimal health and strong immune systems. We avoid
using drugs on a routine basis but do realize that sometimes they are the
best solution. Holistic methods can take longer to work but usually
alleviate the base problem while most vets only treat symptoms. I've
personally had pretty good results using those treatments. Specifically
I've used homeopathy, flower essences, and old fashioned home cures.

You still haven't defined what you mean by "Holistic". Are you equating it
with 'natural'?

And I've seen how feeding raw can make it possible not to have to visit a
vet for any reason, for years! I don't even have a "regular" vet.

I'm curious, how do you know that your dogs don't currently have heartworm?
How are you evaluating your treatment?

Also important to note, the incidence of heatworm in some wild canid
populations is about 1 in 8 (IIRC). So you could easily just be 'playing the
odds' more than actually having any real effect. I encourage you to think
about it. (this is exactly why anecdotal accounts are of highly limited
value). "I feed my dog garlic every day, so he doesn't get heartworm!", he
didn't get heartworm so the garlic must have worked. The fact is, you quite
possibly could have given him nothing, and still not got heartworm. Just
because A is correlated with B does not mean that A is causative for B.

Dale

Old November 21st 08, 08:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
Rocky wrote:
Yet plenty of dogs fit that third space slot. Gaubster used to
rant on those who claimed dogs with corn allergies, me and Good
Ol' Murphy included.

Well, the Gaub was the spiritual twin of this one, only on
the other side of the argument.