Seizures in Dogs

Old January 6th 09, 08:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
chardonnay9

Default Seizures in Dogs

Suja wrote:
"Nessa" wrote in message:

her food was switched from various inexpensive kibble back in
September to finally California Natural Kibble now.

Matt'll correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Cal Nat change their formula and
add Rosemary (a known seizure trigger or maybe it lowers seizure threshold,
I'm not sure right now) to it? Could this be part of the problem?

Suja

Yep, most likely you've hit on the problem. This is why everyone needs
to research on their own and not rely on vets or sales people.
Old January 6th 09, 08:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
chardonnay9

Nessa wrote:
On Jan 6, 10:16 am, "Suja" wrote:
"Nessa" wrote in message:
she has not had seizures for a few years now
last month she had a seizure
she had a mild seizure this morning.

When was the last time she had a complete work-up? Has something changed in
her environment (food for instance, maybe the manufacturer changed the
ingredients)? If you feel that her seizure frequency is increasing, it
would certainly be worth a re-evaluation of her current treatment protocol,
IMO.

As far as I know, Matt's the only one around these parts with an epileptic
dog. His webpage has links to useful resources for seizure dogs that you
may want to look into.

Suja

well we switched her to better food but that was weeks and weeks
ago.

I called the vet and for right now we are just going to record time,
date and length of seizures.
since they are mild even at their worst (i.e. last only a few minutes,
she does not lose bowel or bladder control, she is not unconscious)
unless she is having more than one a week, we tend to be a bit
dismissive of it.

she may just need her levels checked. I noted a pill on the floor the
other day. she might have spit it out when daughter gave her a pill.

If she was raw fed there would be no rosemary in her system and she'd
most likely not be having any seizures.

Your vet should have asked what you were feeding and should have known
what rosemary does.
Old January 6th 09, 08:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
chardonnay9

Nessa wrote:

In September Bagel died

Which was totally avoidable.

In October we got Harley
she lost weight
she gained weight
she's much more active now with Harley
her food was switched from various inexpensive kibble back in
September to finally California Natural Kibble now.

Why would you give your dog a food that contains something that causes
seizures? Did you not do your homework?

Oh yes, kibble is just grand!
Old January 6th 09, 08:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

chardonnay9 wrote:

If she was raw fed there would be no rosemary in her system

ROTFLOL! Rosemary is available raw, you dolt. Actually
in my case, raw rosemary is available right in my yard
and my dog has ready access to it...

Dianne
Old January 6th 09, 08:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

chardonnay9 wrote:
Nessa wrote:

In September Bagel died

Which was totally avoidable.

I must've forgotten already - where did you get your D.V.M.
again? And did your training include special training in making
diagnoses via Usenet?

Dianne
Old January 6th 09, 08:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
chardonnay9 wrote:
If she was raw fed there would be no rosemary in her system and she'd
most likely not be having any seizures.

I'm starting to look forward to your going to jail for
practicing veterinary medicine without a license. I think
that would be a good thing.

Old January 6th 09, 08:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
chardonnay9

Default '

Melinda Shore wrote:
In article ,
caroline wrote:
You don't, the vet prescribes it if he feels its necessary.

I read her as asking what form it takes (how it's
administered).

I had a dog who cluster seized and she was on KBr. It was a
liquid that I put on her food. I understand it's also
available as a powder but it's my understanding that it's
generally prescribed in liquid form.

How come so many of you kibble feeders have dogs with seizures?
Hmmm...??
Old January 6th 09, 09:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Nessa

On Jan 6, 2:52*pm, chardonnay9 wrote:
Nessa wrote:
On Jan 6, 10:16 am, "Suja" wrote:
"Nessa" wrote in message:
[...]

what rosemary does.- Hide quoted text -

so what explains the seizures before she was having rosemary.
those that were so much worse.
the time she had Status epilepticus for nearly 3 days (while at the
vet) until they could control her?

Old January 6th 09, 09:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss

In article ,
chardonnay9 wrote:

How come so many of you kibble feeders have dogs with seizures?

All my dogs have eaten kibble, None of them has ever had a seizure.
Your point?

--
Janet Boss
Old January 6th 09, 09:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

chardonnay9 wrote in news:e_
:

Which was totally avoidable.

How? More importantly, why? Why on earth would you keep a dog with
a debilitating, untreatable illness alive? That strikes me as cruel.

--
Shelly

Seizures? Kathleen Dog behavior 6 October 3rd 08 02:28 AM
Seizures.. OrlandoHot Dog health 10 October 16th 03 03:38 AM
Seizures Help! Rocky Dog health 17 August 27th 03 04:07 AM