MYTH: THERE ARE MILLIONS OF DOGS SAFELY EATING 'COMPLETE AND BALANCED'KIBBLES STAMPED WITH AAFCO'S SEAL OF APPROVAL.

Old January 27th 09, 12:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
chardonnay9

Default MYTH: THERE ARE MILLIONS OF DOGS SAFELY EATING 'COMPLETE AND BALANCED'KIBBLES STAMPED WITH AAFCO'S SEAL OF APPROVAL.

http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/rawdog/kibble.html

Millions of dogs eat kibble. And millions of dogs--85% of all
dogs--suffer from periodontal disease by age 3 as a result of eating
these processed foods (Lonsdale, T. 2001. Raw Meaty Bones.). This
translates to teeth covered with plaque and teeming with bacteria. These
bacteria get into the gums and provoke the body's inflammatory response
continually for the rest of the animal's life. Dogs (and cats!) are
doomed to have nasty teeth and rancid dog breath.

Millions of dogs eat kibble, and millions of dogs fill the waiting rooms
of veterinarians, bad breath and all. These pets suffer from
dermatitises of all sorts, or from cancers, joint problems, heart
problems, kidney problems, digestive problems ("lack of enzymes"), liver
problems, pancreas problems, coat problems, tooth problems, anal gland
problems, glandular disorders, allergies, and soft doughy bodies brought
on by eating a grain-based, artificial, highly-processed,
additive-filled food touted as "healthy" for your dog. Thousands of dogs
die from diet-induced diseases like bloat each year (and that's not to
say all diseases are caused by diet, but many of them link strongly with
processed diets and diet-induced periodontal disease. Refer to Raw Meaty
Bones for a more in-depth discussion.), and yet the industry keeps on
churning out artificial pet foods and vets keep recommending them to
their clients.
Old January 27th 09, 12:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
chardonnay9 wrote:
Millions of dogs eat kibble. And millions of dogs--85% of all
dogs--suffer from periodontal disease by age 3 as a result of eating
these processed foods (Lonsdale, T. 2001. Raw Meaty

Bones.).

Chard, you're citing someone who doesn't understand what she
reads (or does understand and lies about it - I could go
either way). Lonsdale didn't find that eating kibble caused
periodontal disease. Lonsdale's conclusion was that the
absence of the scraping provided by chewing on bones meant
that plaque wasn't being removed, and that led to
periodontal disease. According to his notion a dog could be
fed nothing but steak off-the-bone and still have
periodontal problems. It's not the kibble that's the source
of the problem.

Also, his conclusion was based on casual observation and
anecdote and not on research.

Old January 27th 09, 02:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
chardonnay9

Melinda Shore wrote:
In article ,
chardonnay9 wrote:
Millions of dogs eat kibble. And millions of dogs--85% of all
dogs--suffer from periodontal disease by age 3 as a result of eating
these processed foods (Lonsdale, T. 2001. Raw Meaty

Bones.).

Chard, you're citing someone who doesn't understand what she
reads

You certainly are afraid I'm actually posting the truth here aren't you?
ROFLOL!

There are so many articles out there on how kibble fed dogs have
infected mouths, I guess you just don't read much.

Do you really disbelieve that mouth problems in dogs have gotten out of
control? Oh, and a diet of only meat would lack in calcium among other
things.
Old January 27th 09, 02:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
chardonnay9 wrote:
There are so many articles out there on how kibble fed dogs have
infected mouths, I guess you just don't read much.

You're inferring causality when there isn't any. You quoted
someone who misrepresented somebody else's work.

Old January 27th 09, 07:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tara Green

chardonnay9 wrote:
Melinda Shore wrote:
In article ,
chardonnay9 wrote:
Millions of dogs eat kibble. And millions of dogs--85% of all
dogs--suffer from periodontal disease by age 3 as a result of eating
these processed foods (Lonsdale, T. 2001. Raw Meaty

Bones.).
Chard, you're citing someone who doesn't understand what she
reads

You certainly are afraid I'm actually posting the truth here aren't you?
ROFLOL!

There are so many articles out there on how kibble fed dogs have
infected mouths, I guess you just don't read much.

There is JUST as much anecdotal evidence that
bone fed dogs have as high an incidence of
mouth infections....just for different reasons.

In fact, vets in this area are seeing a
dramatic *increase* in dangerous levels of
wear on teeth (leading to exposed nerves and
all sorts of nasty problems) *because of*
feeding bones.

Neither one is a wholesale "safe" choice.
There are risks, pros and cons to each. That
you aren't able to be honest about that fact
just makes you sound like a used car salesman.

Do you really disbelieve that mouth problems in dogs have gotten out of
control? Oh, and a diet of only meat would lack in calcium among other
things.

Your last sentence shows that you
*completely* missed the point being made to
you. WOOOOOOSHHHHH.
Old January 27th 09, 10:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

On Jan 27, 11:28*am, Tara Green wrote:
chardonnay9 wrote:
Melinda Shore wrote:
In article ,
chardonnay9 wrote:
[...]

I've decided to keep my dog on a bones and raw food diet (BARF). Yes
it costs more, but at least I know what does into the food and how
much is actually consumed at a sitting. Our dog came from the shelter
which had adopted a BARF diet for all it's dogs. I don't see a
downside, honestly, and even our vet agrees (although I do know some
vets are dead set or reluctant against BARF).
Old January 27th 09, 11:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

I've decided to keep my dog on a bones and raw food diet (BARF). Yes
it costs more, but at least I know what does into the food and how
much is actually consumed at a sitting.

What are you doing to ensure complete nutrition?

Old January 27th 09, 11:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

--
* * *Melinda Shore - Software longa, hardware brevis -

* * * Prouder than ever to be a member of the reality-based community

raw meat and vegtable mix. Organ meat sometimes. Plus doses of flax
and omega three oils.
Old January 27th 09, 11:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

raw meat and vegtable mix. Organ meat sometimes. Plus doses of flax
and omega three oils.

I was asking about nutrition, not ingredients.

Old January 27th 09, 11:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

On Jan 27, 3:30*pm, (Melinda Shore) wrote:

raw meat and vegtable mix. Organ meat sometimes. Plus doses of flax
and omega three oils.

I was asking about nutrition, not ingredients.
--
* * *Melinda Shore - Software longa, hardware brevis -

* * * Prouder than ever to be a member of the reality-based community

You mean as in - who is giving the advice on this nutrition or what he
has? I don't understand your question...