Aging and reality, thoughts that bother me

Old April 22nd 09, 02:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss

Default Aging and reality, thoughts that bother me

The recent (current?) illness of my 3 dogs really brought aging to light
for me. Since we don't know the cause of the illness, there are a lot
of unanswered questions, but there is no doubt in my mind that Marcie's
youth and general health kept her healthier through all of this than
Lucy's aging body.

I think of Lucy as timeless. She's such a playful and happy girl, and
to see her not doing her happy dance for meals (but still eating them
mind you) was crushing. Of 3 sick dogs, she's the only one that
needed to stay at the vet, get her meds IV, have her body get total rest
and 24/7 care. I have to come to grips with the fact that at 12+, she's
not as hearty as she once was and that she won't live forever. I hate
having to realize that.

She is a little stiff sometimes, but no big deal. Some days she can
leap right into the car, other days she needs a boost. Yesterday, she
needed more than a boost, her body weakened by illness and not quite up
to par. She is much improved today, pretty much herself, but still a
little on the quiet side. The house was horridly quiet without her here
on Monday night. How a senior dog missing can create that silence was
quite surprising. I hate the idea of her not being here at all at some
point in the future.

Once everyone is well, I think I really need to make sure we get a lot
of swimming days in, enjoy the summer sunshine, and live canine life to
the fullest. Not that we don't try to do all of those things anyway,
but I feel a stronger commitment to it now. I think every day I have
her with me is a blessing.

--
Janet Boss
Old April 22nd 09, 09:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Paul E. Schoen

"Janet Boss" wrote in message
[...]

I'm sorry to hear that all your dogs have serious illnesses. It is
especially disturbing that your young pup Marcie is also ill. Could there
be a common factor in the environment causing some of this?

Muttley is now almost five. Certainly he is still in his prime, but in a
few years he will be a senior dog already. Time has a way of slipping by
too quickly. We wish you the best. I certainly don't have any expertise in
canine health, so I can't offer advice, except just make sure you provide
the most stress-free and healthy environment for them, and enjoy your time
with them.

Paul and Muttley

Old April 22nd 09, 11:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
FurPaw

Janet Boss wrote:

Once everyone is well, I think I really need to make sure we get a lot
of swimming days in, enjoy the summer sunshine, and live canine life to
the fullest. Not that we don't try to do all of those things anyway,
but I feel a stronger commitment to it now. I think every day I have
her with me is a blessing.

Janet, I must have missed something. What's wrong with your
dogs? I didn't realize they were sick.

Good advice for yourself and for others - treasure the moments
you have with them.

FurPaw

--
Don't believe everything that you think.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old April 23rd 09, 12:07 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss

In article ,
FurPaw wrote:

Janet, I must have missed something. What's wrong with your
dogs? I didn't realize they were sick.

Sorry, I didn't post it here (come to Facebook!). They all got sick on
Sunday and we had a mass visit to the vet on Monday. All had gastric
bleeds of unknown origin. The gold dogs were vomiting, Marcie was fine,
but they all had pitch black stool. All are doing well now. Lucy spent
2 days in the hospital, but the others came home and they're all taking
several meds for a week. I'm fairly frustrated that we have NO idea
what caused this. It really brought home that Lucy is not a youngster
anymore.

--
Janet Boss
Old April 23rd 09, 12:39 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy[_2_]

Janet Boss spoke these words of wisdom
in :

In article ,
FurPaw wrote:

Janet, I must have missed something. What's wrong with your
dogs? I didn't realize they were sick.

Sorry, I didn't post it here (come to Facebook!). They all got sick on
Sunday and we had a mass visit to the vet on Monday. All had gastric
bleeds of unknown origin. The gold dogs were vomiting, Marcie was fine,
but they all had pitch black stool. All are doing well now. Lucy spent
2 days in the hospital, but the others came home and they're all taking
several meds for a week. I'm fairly frustrated that we have NO idea
what caused this. It really brought home that Lucy is not a youngster
anymore.

WOW.. hope they are all better soon. Gastric bleeds in goldens makes me
think of stomach cancer. BUT NOT ALL AT THE SAME TIME!

I wonder what they got into. Could it be poison?
Old April 23rd 09, 12:43 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy[_2_]

diddy none spoke these words of wisdom in
:
I wonder what they got into. Could it be poison?

Paul hasn't been in the neighborhood has he?

I wouldn't put anything past a person who hangs on to trivia the way he does
Old April 23rd 09, 12:46 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tara Green

Janet Boss wrote:
In article ,
FurPaw wrote:

Janet, I must have missed something. What's wrong with your
dogs? I didn't realize they were sick.

Done!

Boy, I wish everyone a speedy recovery. How
scary!
Old April 23rd 09, 12:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tara Green

Tara Green wrote:
Janet Boss wrote:
In article ,
FurPaw wrote:

Janet, I must have missed something. What's wrong with your dogs? I
didn't realize they were sick.

Done!

Boy, I wish everyone a speedy recovery. How scary!

Oh good grief.

I snipped the part about coming to facebook.

Nap. I need a nap.
Old April 23rd 09, 01:09 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
FurPaw

Janet Boss wrote:

Sorry, I didn't post it here (come to Facebook!). They all got sick on
Sunday and we had a mass visit to the vet on Monday. All had gastric
bleeds of unknown origin. The gold dogs were vomiting, Marcie was fine,
but they all had pitch black stool. All are doing well now. Lucy spent
2 days in the hospital, but the others came home and they're all taking
several meds for a week. I'm fairly frustrated that we have NO idea
what caused this. It really brought home that Lucy is not a youngster
anymore.

Wow - that must have been scary! I'm glad they're recovering. I
understand your frustration at not knowing the cause.

FurPaw

Old April 23rd 09, 01:48 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
~shady angel~[_3_]

"Janet Boss" wrote in message
[...]

www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

I hope your dogs feel better soon!
You should maybee get some rest yourself, you gotta be dog tired worrying
like that!